Romans graflex group ideas

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all. I have been looking and waiting for someone to start a romans graflex thread, but seeing how everyone is posting on his sales thread, I figured I would start one.

I'm looking to see what others have done with them so far. This is my first project that I haven't jumped into building as soon as I got it. I was so excited about getting mine, I bought the completion kit from Roy@wannawanga.com and patiently waited to go at it. The funny and weird part was, as soon as it arrived, I just found myself playing with it and studying it more than building it. ROMAN DID AN AMAZING JOB ON THIS! I didn't want to just jump in once it was in my hands. I felt I needed to do alot more research before I did anything.

My plan is building the ANH version. I do have everything needed as far as parts go so I'm good there. So my questions are, is anyone dulling the glass eye and red button. What are you doing to dull the bunny ears (if you plan to that is) I plan on dulling the entire flash gun down and going as accurate as possible.

So, this is a group build. Please join in and share as much as you want.

Disclaimer : This is not a bash roman or his graflex thread. If you post negative comments I will ask a mod to remove them.

I will be dulling things down a bit on those chrome like pieces. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to accomplish that. I was thinking maybe oven cleaner or fine steel wool. I'm worried about oven cleaner taking the metal surface off. Fine sandpaper might be another good way to take down the shine.

I will be dulling things down a bit on those chrome like pieces. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to accomplish that. I was thinking maybe oven cleaner or fine steel wool. I'm worried about oven cleaner taking the metal surface off. Fine sandpaper might be another good way to take down the shine.
Agreed on with the oven cleaner, I'm not a fan of wet solutions with this working flash gun. I have used a flat clear coat in the past on metals to dull them down. I have sprays as well as brush on.

This is exactly why I posted this. We can post our concerns and share our results.

Great start

i wouldnt use oven clean on the nickel finish. i think you will get burned circle patterns in the finish. i think i would place the button in a small sealed can (peanut butter jar, rubbermaid container)

put something inside so you can place the button on that, and keep it out of the muriatic acid. pour the muriatic acid into the container and seal it. let the vapors age the finish.
IMG_5597.jpg

i would then give it a vapor bath for 20 minutes. if it ruins the finish on the button you can simply buy a new one. roman doesnt offer glass eyes so this way your safe.

you can also tape the entire lower tube, and leave the bottom of the tube uncovered, and let the vapors soak on the end of the tube, see what it does to the finish. again, this way if your doing a TFA build your not going to hurt anything because your covering it up.

muriatic acid is not very safe, be sure to wear gloves, eye protection and a mask. i wouldnt do this in the house either, garage or outside works best. this stuff is made to eat concrete so its not a friendly acid...

The buttons and glass eyes metal should be super shiny, at least that is how my real graflexs are. I think the bunny ears, beer tab and little switch should be dealt with. Also the bottom of mine is super shiny.

For mine some of that stuff isn't going to matter since I'm making a Vader ROTJ stunt. I'll be taking off the bunny ears, button, glass eye, beer tab any way.

The buttons and glass eyes metal should be super shiny, at least that is how my real graflexs are. I think the bunny ears, beer tab and little switch should be dealt with. Also the bottom of mine is super shiny.

For mine some of that stuff isn't going to matter since I'm making a Vader ROTJ stunt. I'll be taking off the bunny ears, button, glass eye, beer tab any way.

What are you doing about shroud and "tire valve" pieces?

I am missing those on mine (well the emitter as well... but not as big a deal)

I got my Romans and am planning on converting it into a TFA saber.

Ive already hit the clamp with some scotch bright which did wonders.
Also took the red button off and hit the beer tab lightly with scotch bright as well to dull it down.

Filed down the knurls on the glass eye as well.

7B091954-1F4C-4C80-BEBF-911CFD9B8CE8_zpsosdlxtvb.png

2D800457-05D1-414B-8855-1AC46232BDF8_zpsutrlydiu.png

Now patiently waiting for clamp cover and grips from Roy.
So far things are coming along
nicely.

I got my Romans and am planning on converting it into a TFA saber.

Ive already hit the clamp with some scotch bright which did wonders.
Also took the red button off and hit the beer tab lightly with scotch bright as well to dull it down.

Filed down the knurls on the glass eye as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...4-1F4C-4C80-BEBF-911CFD9B8CE8_zpsosdlxtvb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...7-05D1-414B-8855-1AC46232BDF8_zpsutrlydiu.jpg

Now patiently waiting for clamp cover and grips from Roy.
So far things are coming along
nicely.
Looks great. This blasted version is what is keeping me from moving forward on my ANH version, lol

Are you using the bottom cover from roy as well?

I've got a shroud and that's it so far. I have no source for the rest of the parts other than the clamp box can be found on shapeways, and the clamp band can be made from a piece of conduit. I've been searching for the correct ball clasp that goes under the shroud and I've had no luck. So far the best option I've found is one in the UK, but it's still significantly incorrect. I suspect that the hex screws will be easy.

Is the tire valve that super shiny part that goes in where the glass eye hole is?

On another note. You guys got me thinking and I went down and started messing with my Romanflex. Taking the red button and glass eye was super hard, I had to use pliers. But I noticed when I removed the red button from the beer tab that I saw something flake off, it was some of the chrome on the back side. Underneath is a much duller metal and of the correct color to my eyes. We might be able to just remove the chrome on certain parts and it look better. The red button metal underneath is brass.

What are you doing about shroud and "tire valve" pieces?

I am missing those on mine (well the emitter as well... but not as big a deal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have read that the button and eye were on pretty tight. My eye unscrewd easy but my red button is harder. I saw that pliers worked with a cloth over the button so it didn't hurt the finish.

Looks great. This blasted version is what is keeping me from moving forward on my ANH version, lol

Are you using the bottom cover from roy as well?

Oh yes, almost forgot, I am also getting Roys cover for the bottom.

Do you already have an ANH saber?
If not, may make a suggestion-
I would hold out for an original Graflex for the ANH, simply because its the most iconic of the sabers and deserves an original graflex.

But thats just my opinion.

Oh yes, almost forgot, I am also getting Roys cover for the bottom.

Do you already have an ANH saber?
If not, may make a suggestion-
I would hold out for an original Graflex for the ANH, simply because its the most iconic of the sabers and deserves an original graflex.

But thats just my opinion.

Agreed. I just made that comment on the tfa research thread. Lol

Agreed on the ANH saber. You don't have to drill into like any other saber so that is a plus. And we know the source for the bubble strip, and the originals can easily be acquired.

I'd need to buy another Graflex from Roman.... But maybe roygilsing will get to that one day... Never even thought I would ever attempt a ROTJ Vader previously.

and the clamp band can be made from a piece of conduit..

Could clarify this? I may need for another project...

- - - Updated - - -

I would love a new run of accurate ROTJ Vader stunt parts. I remember talk of either Roman or Roy doing them. Don't know what happened to those plans : /

I would love for this to happen...

I can't believe in the 3 years I've been on here, that it hasn't had another run by someone.

It's the metal pipe that they put electrical wires in. You can get it in various diameters at pretty much any hardware store, and it's not expensive.

Yeah, I'm amazed that there hasn't been a run of Vader ROTJ parts other than the Korbanth kit. I've occasionally seen parts in the junkyard but never when I have money, not that I have money now ha ha.

Could clarify this? I may need for another project...

- - - Updated - - -

I would love for this to happen...

I can't believe in the 3 years I've been on here, that it hasn't had another run by someone.

i know we always try to stay away from eBay. but while doing my normal weekly eBay check list hunts, graflex is always one of them. there is 2 RoTJ vader saber kits on there quiet frequently. i am no vader RoTJ saber expert so i wonder how accurate it is? the kit is all aluminum

i have never been a fan of fader's RoTJ saber. i dont know what the actual title is. does everyone call this the stunt version? i know korbanth calls it the DV6. after seeing this video, i really like it, i also think shameem convinced me this is a saber must have when he says " if dark side anakin was going to build a lightsaber why not make it more like a graflex?" or something along those lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hEgRbCVF4

the only reason i didnt purchase the korbanth stuff is because he doesnt off solid ends on his sabers.. most saber smiths offer 2 end caps, one with holes of FX and one with solid for display... if he had a solid end i would be sold.

until then the DV6 is the closest we got. i MAY just convert a romans if i can gather all the rest of the pieces to complete it, until then the search continues

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back