Show Your Harry Potter Wands

The14thDr

Sr Member
I've seen a few of these types of threads dotted around the forum, but none dedicated to the Harry Potter universe.

I'm thinking of making my own wands in the not-too-distant future, and I'd like to see what everyone else has come up with first.

So please post pictures of your Harry Potter wands; replicas, custom builds, purchased or otherwise.

Kind regards, The14thDr

This is my take on making some wands, though they are not high end replicas in any way, shape or form.

These are being made for our Harry Potter themed Christmas. I have a lot of decorations and props to make. All of them are intended to be for a one off event, just Christmas day dinner. Speed and cheapness of construction are key here, so a lot of the props will be card and paper props, largely from ideas submitted here. As for the wands, I have about ten to make along with all the other decorations as well. I may start a separate thread in the paper section when I am done for all of them

As for the wands, I used cheap chopsticks for the basis along with a cheap pack of wooden beads from HobbyCraft. I drilled a hole into most of them and inserted a metal rod. That way I could sculpt or thread beads onto them to lengthen them. Doing this, the longest wand is still only 12" long. The first five were made in about a weekend.

wand-1.jpg

The skull was from a Halloween decoration. Some of the wands were lengthen by joining together two lengths of chopsticks, again with a hole drilled into both and a metal rod used to pin them.

wand-2.jpg

wand-3.jpg

One great thing for creating an organic look was to use a length of crepe bandage wrapped round the wand and glued with watered PVA glue. That technique was used on the bottom two.

wand-4.jpg

Simples

Wow!! Those wands look amazing Aku. Thanks for sharing; I will most likely be following this method when I get round to making my own wand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made a few for myself and others as gifts.

Sx7KsMc.jpg 2lfJdPa.jpg

I actually have made my own "Wand Company" for my wands. Each wand comes with a custom box, info card, and some potions. Even threw in a MACUSA wand permit application with one for my cousin.

Working on a few others for Christmas atm.

image.jpegHere's one I did just the other day. Still needs a little dry brushing to make it a lighter colour and also add some high lights to raised areas. Was made from a knitting need that I then sanded rough to add a "woody" texture to. I used Fimo oven baked clay to sculpt the handle. The knitting needle did bend in the oven but I like the look it gives it.Edit: photo is compressed making it look short. It's 13 1/2 inchs..of course

My wand collection.
attachment.jpg

Left-to-right:
The ones I made-
1 - Cosplay Snape. Has 3 AAA batteries and a blue LED -1st wand I ever made.
2 - Cospay McGonagall. No LED.
3 - Current Snape wand. White LED.
4 - Current McGonagall wand. Recently replaced green LED with a white one.
5 - My muggle wand. Made from Witch Hazel wood
6 - Percival Graves. White LED.
I also made an Umbridge wand which isn't shown.

All wood hand-carved by HeirofOllivander (back in the day)
7 - Elder wand
8 - McGonagall
9 - Snape

Noble collection wands:
10 - McGonagall
11 - Snape
12 - Trelawney
13 - Neville Longbottom Signed by Mathew Lewis - Inscription say "Worst Autograph Ever"
attachment.jpg

14 - Newt
15 - Percival
16 - Seraphina

Miscellaneous:
17 - Given to us at a HP themed wedding
18-20 Given to us at various HP conventions.

21 - Hagrid's Umbrella I made. It's sort of a wand.

ATL

Attachments

• Wand collection.jpg
    Wand collection.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,654
  • worst autograph ever.jpg
    worst autograph ever.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,634
I've not actually made any wands but I bought some on e-bay and decided to make a stand/rack for them. I imagined a rack from the HP universe being made of wood that was still alive with roots writhing around like a group of worms or something and having grown into the shape rather than being constructed. Still needs some paint to finish off (you might see the white spots in the deeper crevices I've missed!). Wands from T-B are Voldemort, Sirius, Elder wand/Dumbledore, Harry, Slughorn.

Sorry for the dodgy pictures, I just took them now and it's dark!
IMG_3845.JPGIMG_3846.JPGIMG_3848.JPG

Rob

Here's just a handful that are in my collection. I put most of my collection in storage as it was becoming too crowded, and left out my four favorites for display. Most are Noble Collection, except for the second to last one down, which is one I crafted myself, and is a replica of the wand Harry uses in the first two films.
YQK3cje.jpg

I'll sneak some pics later, but my wife is the HP fan here and I gave her Harry's wand last year. This year she'll get Fleur's(her favorite), Dumbledore's and Luna's first wand, as well as a case to display them in.

I am also planning to make wands as a hobby. I want to use the real wood types. I think I am going to start with some replicas and then some of my own designs. I don't know if anyone did some research on the elder wand but I have a question about the rune disign. Now from what I found it seems that these are Anglo Saxons runes. It's rumored to say "Cheat Only Once" yet when I look at the runes on the wand I can't make that out. I hope someone could explain the rune design.

Here's my first custom wand, made from some 1/2" aluminium tubing and 1/4" wooden dowel. The designs were made using hot glue and painted with cinnamon brown acrylic paint.
3b5b4d5051c87b241697565362341feb.jpg

44cc0052c2fac8a1b8d5b8282eb3640e.jpg

3c2a4100bf18c78b53310ee5486304ff.jpg

Since this was intended as a gift I also designed this Ollivanders envelope, based on the MACUSA wand permits with the idea being that Ollivanders now delivers their wands by owl (hence the MoM and Owl Post stamps on the back)
a9a99d985f45280e9dd8326f075b0175.jpg

3d6654309af9b71708523430a2b28e25.jpg

611e4490e77291b78a3553ab6540070e.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back