Luke ROTJ Yuma stunt lightsaber with stunt blade

Just to be clear, the blades in at least Episode 3, were texalium wrapped carbon fiber rods (from a company called Kilwell in New Zealand) and not just straight up carbon fiber rods. Regular carbon fiber rods are absolutely horrible for dueling but the texalium wrapped ones are pretty durable (but of course, can still break if enough force is used).

Oh hey that's something I didn't know. Depending on price I may inquire with 'em, being local and all - thanks for the info!

So I found this BTS saber rehearsal from ESB with Hamill and Anderson. The blades there using look black like an unpaired like graphite and sound just like a carbon/graphite rod when they clash together not a metallic clank I tested my two graphite rods and they sound very similar. My question is could they have used graphite for rehearsals then aluminum for filming? Or a mix ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQdNzZTy7E

What do you guys think ?

Great video ... I have no clue whatsoever what was used back then ... but keep investigating ... the truth is out there :)

Chaim

Hey I didn't think about that ! you're probably right Could it possibly be left over blades from ANH? Or possibly new ones they are working those blades pretty hard lol

I believe those are wooden blades. With the ANH blades being wood and many swords being wooden for practice in fencing and Kendo it makes sense that they used better, stronger wood blades first before switching to the aluminum blades. That video is from before ESB filming started.

Last edited:
The blade hole hole looks really shallow looks like it stops where the neck meets the bottom of the emitter. Do you think the blades were just attached in the emitter only ? With a metal sleeve around the blade ?

Good questions.

Not the yuma no, given that those were made later, I think those were more simple designs. we really don't know for sure, but the hero only has a set screw in the nipple. The hero, it's thought was a Yuma saber that was redecorated.

The Shared Stunt... I think it was suggested that it was not used for dueling in ANH. (To make it mobile, the V2 was cut apart and machined after casting, the Shared Stunt was not) By ROTJ it might have been used for fencing, since the V2 was a belt hanger, but i think it also had just a set screw up top. There is a shot of the shared stunt down the emitter side and the hole is the same size as the blade, with a flat bottom.

View attachment 491406 This isn't the shot I was talking about but it's close. The nipple was cut off and we can see better inside.

here we go...Halfway down is the emitter shot! http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=54250

I believe they were, those props made for Alec weren't meant for hard dueling at first. the Nipple (that is absent on the shared stunt) provided the height needed to secure it in place.

There is a little circle at the bottom of the emitter hole. it's possible there was an inner rod that went deeper, like the ROTJ Vader.

The blades had a smaller inner rod that went down past the emitter into the saber. You can see the blade and rod in that recent video from the archives with the saber blades. One of the shared stunt style blades is sitting on the table.

Are you talking about that shorter one closest to the camera in that wideshot?

The blades had a smaller inner rod that went down past the emitter into the saber. You can see the blade and rod in that recent video from the archives with the saber blades. One of the shared stunt style blades is sitting on the table.

That shorter one is the metal plug they used for the ANH tubular stunt, among other flash based stunts. James is talking about a thinner rod inside the blades that extended down further than the end of the blade into the Shared Stunt. (maybe others)

Heres the pic I was talking about I cropped it there is a rod closer to the camera that look like it has a smaller rod running in the blade image.jpg

That shorter one is the metal plug they used for the ANH tubular stunt, among other flash based stunts. James is talking about a thinner rod inside the blades that extended down further than the end of the blade into the Shared Stunt. (maybe others)

From what we've recently found out from Brandon A about the V2, I don't think the Shared Stunt was a motorized prop. Possibly, but either way it was used in ROTJ too. I think those blades are ROTJ fencing blades, the wooden spinning rods were square.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back