Doctor Who opinions

The thing with Cybermen is 99.9% of them will have been forcibly and unwillingly 'upgraded' which is to say, killed, dismembered and re-animated without emotions, memories or free will. Essentially they're zombies, or like The Borg. And on top of that, they'll kill/convert anyone they can.
As unwilling as he is to kill, I think The Doctor considers it a mercy to end an existence that is so terrible they need to have an in-built inhibitor to stop them constantly screaming in pain.

I don't remember in old who but since the start of the Davies era Cybermen have been killed in wholesale numbers by all of the doctors so what happened in the last episode is nothing new.

Man, Whovians are the most cynical of any fandom ever. This thread is worse than the bunch of SW fanboys whining about the EU Legends!

Anyway-- I called it!

I think Moffat was more miss than hit as a showrunner, but Capaldi never phoned it in even in the worst of episodes.

At any rate, I thought it fitting these were Capaldi's best episodes. Way to go out. Overall I was thrilled-- save for the finality of Missy. That bummed me out. Then again, being dead has never stopped her/him before. It also might have been cool to see The Master regenerate into Missy.

As for the Doctor holding the regenerations in-- the rules are a little different with the new regeneration cycle I think. Especially knowing other Time Lords have had more control over regenerating, and knowing know that the 10th Doctor did indeed regenerate into himself, I can buy the holding in.

I feel like the lesson to be learned in the Christmas special is that the Doctor hates change, despite all his experience with it, it's why he always keeps running. Accepting the change, and that his time has come is what the next story will be. I think the Xmas special will end with him specifically choosing what to regenerate into-- a young woman.

The last episode alone had two very big insinuations/hints that the next regeneration would be a woman. There's a lot of allegorical content to be mined with a female Doctor, I hope they do it, even though people will freak out.

I've been letting my thoughts on this episode stew for a bit, I rewatched it again, and I really liked it— thought it was the best Capalid finale, and second best Moffat finale. Capaldi shined as usual, Mackie was great, Lucas was great, Simm was great— the whole cast was great.

Although I wish they would have stuck with the original cybermen design (oh how I love those cybermen), and not included any of the newer ones. And I didn't like that Missy got "the full blast" and supposedly can't regenerate, because that's just something some future writer is going to have to find a loop hole for when they bring Missy/the Master back. She could have just been incapacitated by the regeneration.

On the second viewing, I found the puddle ex machina bothered me less since I felt they set up for it enough, and it was a fairly unique solution (and because I like Bill). Just about every season has that sort of cop out, and it usually works story wise— like Jack being brought back by Bad Wolf Rose, Rose being saved by Pete, the earth reseting back a year in the Master story arc, the Doctor being remembered and brought back from the crack, etc... And they all sort earned it because of proper set up and unique circumstances. This is also why I don't think it cheapened the cyber-conversion, because they set up the tear thing in the first episode, and constantly mentioned it in this last episode (the Doctor says it should be impossible for her to cry, and that's because it's not her tears), and it's such a unique circumstance that I don't think it cheapens too much—
I don't we'll never have another lesbian puddle of space oil come save her girlfriend. Though I wish she hadn't of said she could have made her human, there should still be some consequences.
But like how Jack being brought back didn't cheapen the Daleks, because I doubt we'll have a Bad Wolf moment again, and now he's sort of cursed to never die (until in New New York I don't even know how many years later). But then there's the cop outs that don't work, because it's not a once-in-a-lifetime sort of deal— I hated Clara being brought back to life because that technology is ALWAYS ACCESSIBLE TO THE DOCTOR (if he really tries) and makes death moot. God, I hated Hell Bent...
Anyways...

I also at first didn't like the whole "I don't want to go" mentality coming back. Hated that about Ten's departure, but after thinking about it, it sort of makes sense, and is a fairly different mentality. It looks like he'd rather die than change again, and I think his protests can be understandable to a degree since he's now gone past the normal regeneration cycle of a Time Lord. He feels like he's done it too many times, and he's sick of it. We'll see how they handle that in the Christmas episode.

Well to be fair 11ths last episode and this last one are essentially the same episode, with a sprinkle of Clara's last episode, no wonder they killed off both Masters so early, there was no lines for them in the script they were recycling.

I'm sure we can probably just agree to disagree, but I'm also curious why you think this is the same as 11's last episode? In Time of the Doctor, he spent 900 years guarding the crack and protecting the town against all sorts of enemies, Daleks, weeping angels, cybermen, sontarans, and probably more; while in this one he's spending less than a day holding off an army of cybermen so the townspeople can escape.
I read your earlier post about fighting an endless war against cybermen (well, the war ends pretty quickly after the attack came), but it also bears the same resemblance to almost every episode, where the Doctor defends some group of people against some sort of alien/aliens— that's the show. Town Called Mercy (the Doctor defends the town against a cybernetically enhanced gunslinger), Day of the Moon (The Doctor defends earth against an endless number of silence), Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel (the Doctor defends the human race against an ever-growing number of cybermen) etc.

Especially knowing other Time Lords have had more control over regenerating, and knowing know that the 10th Doctor did indeed regenerate into himself, I can buy the holding in.

I feel like the lesson to be learned in the Christmas special is that the Doctor hates change, despite all his experience with it, it's why he always keeps running. Accepting the change, and that his time has come is what the next story will be. I think the Xmas special will end with him specifically choosing what to regenerate into--

I can imagine the Doctor holds onto his experiences in the past. He became a look-alike of the Pompeijan citizen he once saved in order to remind himself of the true meaning of his whole existence, to save lives. So if he has to change and despises a change, what are the chances that he will change into someone he already knew and he did not want to leave?

In other words, what are the chances that we may see the return of David Tennant as 13? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Slim! Cause he's busy!
But I did see a theory out there, even before the appearance of Doc 1 was confirmed, that he was going to recycle back into Doc one is some sort of cyclical time loop.

I'm holding onto my female doc theory...

One thing I overlooked, initially at least is that the Doctor doesn't know that Missy turned to his side prior to her demise and that Bill made it out (relatively) okay.

There are already theories about Missy survival - after all, the Master always seems to find a way back. I think the last couple of seasons were a great character arc for her/him - I wonder just how much of it was planned from the start.

I'm sure we can probably just agree to disagree, but I'm also curious why you think this is the same as 11's last episode? In Time of the Doctor, he spent 900 years guarding the crack and protecting the town against all sorts of enemies, Daleks, weeping angels, cybermen, sontarans, and probably more; while in this one he's spending less than a day holding off an army of cybermen so the townspeople can escape.
I read your earlier post about fighting an endless war against cybermen (well, the war ends pretty quickly after the attack came), but it also bears the same resemblance to almost every episode, where the Doctor defends some group of people against some sort of alien/aliens— that's the show. Town Called Mercy (the Doctor defends the town against a cybernetically enhanced gunslinger), Day of the Moon (The Doctor defends earth against an endless number of silence), Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel (the Doctor defends the human race against an ever-growing number of cybermen) etc.

In ten minutes on the bridge, Bill had aged ten years on the lower deck, can you imagine how long had passed for the Tardis and the universe as a whole while that one day war was fought?

In ten minutes on the bridge, Bill had aged ten years on the lower deck, can you imagine how long had passed for the Tardis and the universe as a whole while that one day war was fought?
It's probably only been a few seconds, maybe a few minutes since they were higher up in the ship than Bill was in the previous episode— but time was still moving slower at the bridge than where they were.

I view Dr Who the same way I view Marvel. Always. If they made a Marvel movie in which you paid your money at the box office and they just punched you in the face, I would still see it at least once.
For me Dr Who is the same thing. Now I find out that Feminist/s are complaining that Bill was added just to titillate adolescent boys with a girl/girl kiss.

A few years ago, while at Wiz World con in Chicago, I saw a crowd of young girls running and screaming when they heard Matt Smith was "in the building".

SciFi is not just for geek dudes anymore. It's like girls pretended to watch it just to spike their instagram followers and got sucked into it. Now they are true fans and we all need to just deal with it.

I have liked the writing and production quality of the recent shows, I just wish I could watch it with my boys. They refuse to watch it with me. They want David or Matt back.

I agree with @joeranger - how dare those pesky females like something that's meant for boys only. Next thing you know, they'll want the right to vote - get back in the kitchen where ya'll belong.

:rolleyes

(Apologies to joeranger - just having some fun).

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/bbc-news...n-the-identity-of-the-next-doctor-who-2099198

Peter Capaldi will quit the role at the end of the current seriesThe BBC has dropped a huge hint as to who Peter Capaldi’s successor will be on Doctor Who.
Although she has previously denied it, Newsnight presenter Evan Davis suggested that Fleabag actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge would be the next Timelord on the long-running BBC sci-fi series last night (July 5).

“If you watched Doctor Who on Saturday there were some pretty heavy hints that the next Doctor might be a woman,” he said in a clip you can watch below. “Well the bookies’ favourite Phoebe Waller-Bridge has denied claims that she’s going to be the first female Doctor… But then Joanna Lumley has already played the role for Comic Relief, so that would technically be true.”
Davis then threw over to a YouTube clip of Waller-Bridge, who is also set to star in the forthcoming Star Wars stand-alone Han Solo movie, being asked about the role in an interview, saying the actress may “already have given the game away”.
[h=2][/h]

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/tv/bbc-news...e-next-doctor-who-2099198#kXyqvJHRrc33JjhS.99

I just wish I could watch it with my boys. They refuse to watch it with me. They want David or Matt back.
Everyone feels that way with a new Doctor. I was prejudiced against Capaldi, purely because I only knew of him from The Thick Of It.. Turns out he's one of the best Doctors there's been.
Ok, so his start is a little slow, but he gets better. That and, he's much better with Bill than he is with Clara. (as much as I liked her) Just tell your boys that, the longer Peter's hair is, the better he is.

He starts slow because Moffat is too obsessed with either the actress herself, or the character of Clara. She has to own the record for most times a companion has actually left/died and returned. It took too long for them to let Capaldi breathe and become his own doctor.

I don't care if the Doctor is a woman, I care why they do it. They need to hire the best actor or actress they can find. The gender or race ought to be completely irrelevant. Unfortunately, some people only care about gender or race. Those people are idiots.

I don't care if the Doctor is a woman, I care why they do it. They need to hire the best actor or actress they can find. The gender or race ought to be completely irrelevant. Unfortunately, some people only care about gender or race. Those people are idiots.
I'm a pretty progressive guy (I'd wager some - even here - may've labeled more extreme things than that) - but, that doesn't change my thoughts on the matter. In my case, I can assure you I could care less about gender, race and all that in cases that matter - but, this seems less like an issue about the best person for the gig and more like a gimmick.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back