Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Getting to where I'm tired of fight scenes, period. Balls-out fighting has to be exhausting, adrenaline be damned. It just doesn't seem like it should go on for as long as I see it sometimes. And I don't care if it's androids/robots or whatever either, because that's typically not resonating viscerally as you're watching it; it still should be relatable to keep you in the moment, I would think. Dial it back.

FWIW, that's what I really liked about the lightsaber duels in TFA; the characters looked both physically and emotionally taxed.

Getting to where I'm tired of fight scenes, period. Balls-out fighting has to be exhausting, adrenaline be damned. It just doesn't seem like it should go on for as long as I see it sometimes. And I don't care if it's androids/robots or whatever either, because that's typically not resonating viscerally as you're watching it; it still should be relatable to keep you in the moment, I would think. Dial it back.
I'll never forget the fist fight in the movie "48 Hours" between Eddy Murphy and Nick Nolte. They were both completely gassed when a patrol officer arrived and ordered them to raise their hands, Nolte said, "I'm too ******* tired to raise my hands!"

FWIW, that's what I really liked about the lightsaber duels in TFA; the characters looked both physically and emotionally taxed.
Agreed. It was a clumsy and desperate battle which made it exciting.

- Cutting your palm for blood : say goodbye to finger strength, mobility and fingertip sensitivity ! Just to get a little blood you are cutting your tendons and nerves. I guess that the next step will be to chop off a finger because fingers grow back don't they ?
Is this the 'we need blood' scenario when they wipe their knife on the leg of their jeans, (or some other antiseptic surface) and slowly draw it across their palm? No wincing, no infection. seemingly forgotten about in the next scene!
If I get a paper cut in the office it hurts like a bitch and I'm whining for hours!

Is this the 'we need blood' scenario when they wipe their knife on the leg of their jeans, (or some other antiseptic surface) and slowly draw it across their palm? No wincing, no infection. seemingly forgotten about in the next scene!
If I get a paper cut in the office it hurts like a bitch and I'm whining for hours!

Yeah, I know I've mentioned this one before. That's a horrible place to cut yourself and would make your hand pretty much unusable. Yet it happens anytime someone needs blood for something.

i agree that it draws out too long in modern movies. But you can never have enough action pack fights in classic Kung Fu. I’ll watch those for hours.

The hand-cutting I think is supposed to be skin-deep, not cutting tendons and such. But I agree it's stupid and overused.
You could almost create a drinking game based on it in Supernatural.

The hand-cutting I think is supposed to be skin-deep, not cutting tendons and such. But I agree it's stupid and overused.
You could almost create a drinking game based on it in Supernatural.

It seems to vary from show to show/movie to movie. Sometimes they do it on an open palm where it's clear it's not that deep, then there's times where they close their hands completely around the blade, cut the hand, and you see the blood drip out from the bottom of their fist. This last one usually seems like it's a deeper cut, even if there's never a whole lot of blood coming out from the closed fist.

Calling every location a "Sector" so that it sounds Sci-Fi. It's gotten to the point where I really can't stand that, lol.

It seems to vary from show to show/movie to movie. Sometimes they do it on an open palm where it's clear it's not that deep, then there's times where they close their hands completely around the blade, cut the hand, and you see the blood drip out from the bottom of their fist. This last one usually seems like it's a deeper cut, even if there's never a whole lot of blood coming out from the closed fist.

Once the Klingons entered Deep Space Nine, the palm cutting was pretty much every episode. Klingons did it to make promises, make friends, prove they weren't changelings, and once for a bachelor party.

Once the Klingons entered Deep Space Nine, the palm cutting was pretty much every episode. Klingons did it to make promises, make friends, prove they weren't changelings, and once for a bachelor party.
Last night I watched the episode "Sons and Daughters" because there was nothing better on and, sure enough, for whatever reason (I had lost interest by then) there was a scene in which Worf, his son Alexander, and a one-eyed Klingon named Martok sliced their palms open and squeezed their blood into some kind of cauldron. :rolleyes The first thing I thought of was this thread. :lol

Cutting rope in medieval times, given that everything had to be made by hand and there were no general stores where such goods were available thanks to mass production, people would take care of things, things like tools were more like family heirlooms, passed down the family. Rope is not easy to make so cutting ropes would probably make any medieval person cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know I've mentioned this one before. That's a horrible place to cut yourself and would make your hand pretty much unusable. Yet it happens anytime someone needs blood for something.
The best part about that one is that they immediately use the hand for something strenuous directly afterword. Rock climbing, sword fighting, piloting, plunging headlong into one of those interminable epic battles...

:rolleyes

I don't know if this one has been done in a while, but what about making warm milk to help you sleep? I've never known anyone who actually does that.

Shaking the camera just enough and zooming in on a vehicle to make it appear its speeding 60, 70, 80 MPH when in fact the car is going about 20.

We should start a thread called "Come On, Man" where we point out each of these specific offenses! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back