1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Not sure what to tell you on LED's, lots of opinions out there. Heck I'm happy with the bright white, but alot of guys like the warm white citing it's more screen accurate to match the incadecent lighting they used in the 70's for filming, wjitch is likely accurate statements...but I'm good with what I'm using, however, the bright makes pics tough to take, but then I have a less than up to date Iphone. If you drill at the right speed, you'll have plenty of bits left over. I've only broken one on hole #10...out of 800 plus. If you're going to go nutty with light points like I did, you may run out of FO. You're using .25mm, right? Once you start drilling, you're going to find alot more places you want to illuminate cause there's plenty of area for holes. Use a fine pint scribe to mark a dimple for your holes, it helps the bit cut in easier and you can get your lines of holes straighter, though i still have some areas that got off track :lol Not sure I understand about the hatch...you got a pic of the problem?
Okey. :) Trying to figure out how bright I should buy. Guess its trial and error. :)

For my part this will take some time for progress. I had some troubles. My upper "hatch" is somehow crooked. Gonna use some neo magnets to press it down enough and hold it in place. Have ordered +650 feet FO and 20x #80 drills. :) See how far I come with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I originally ordered 1000 ft of .25mm, and I needed more .50 anyway for other stuff, but I did use some on this too in certain areas. the flashing reds I used .50, the .25 was too small and you could barely see the flashing cause the ends wouldn't bloom big enough

HDAModelWorks has the phot etch set for these, with shipping it was like 28 bucks. Google it, it looks pretty good and it's the one Omnius used on his thread. It's got the Garbage chute that most of us already got from Shapeways or Falcon3D, but there's a lot of other good stuff in there too. I thought it was worth it since I'm one of a few that are dedicating their build to Robiwon. They're occasionally out of stock but they have some right now, lucky for me. Sorry, I kinda suck at pasting links :facepalm

Ah, thanks for the info! I've seen other threads reference the strawberrygreen photoetch but never knew what they meant! Just ordered a set for when I start this beast.

Yes, I will go for warm white and maybe some red once.
I realize that I might have ordered way to little. But I will try not to stress this project. Great tip wth the dimple, will do that.

Does anyone know the size of the fiber optics of an fiber optic lamp? I have seen Aztec Dummy use them for his Star destroyer build on his YouTube channel I'm thinking about using them on mine ..They are only about $6 on Amazon.. I'm cheap

isd nov1.jpegisd nov2.jpegisd nov3.jpegisd nov4.jpegisd nov5.jpegisd nov6.jpegisd nov7.jpegisd nov8.jpeg Over the holiday I attempted to duplicate what Omnius did with his greeblie work on the upper hull. I didn't get exactly what he's got due to what I had to work with, but I think it came out pretty good and was worth the time and effort. I also decided I needed to do the trench hangar for the other side as well, actually was easier and quicker since I had the other one to go off of. lit pics are too bright to see anything so I left the LED's off, though it does look pretty good when lit, just can't get a clear photo. I had a bit of trouble washing the upper, couldn't get it even, so I did a mist of the Citadel white to clean it up, but I think I'm going to have to get the air brush out to get it right.

I'm afraid I don't...seen them in the funky gift shops in the past, Spencer's I think they were called. the size might be useful if someone has already done it, though. I wonder about the length of the strands and how many there are to use. I'd imagine they'd have to be at least .50mm to stand up the way they do, but if they're any bigger I don't know that I'd use it, out of scale I'd think.
Does anyone know the size of the fiber optics of an fiber optic lamp? I have seen Aztec Dummy use them for his Star destroyer build on his YouTube channel I'm thinking about using them on mine ..They are only about $6 on Amazon.. I'm cheap

very cool...have to wait till I get home to view...my work has Flickr blocked :facepalm

Well she'd better not!! LOL, I dunno brother...I'm gonna reckon it's all in the drilling speed? And dimpling where you intend to drill with a scribe probably helps the bit start and pull itself through. I was using a variable speed Makita with my pin vice stuck on the chuck and that worked, but it got a bit heavy and cumbersome. Then I acquired that Tamiya hobby drill, the TAN one though, not the blue. had nary a problem so far but you're quite right, those dudes are smaller than sewing pins :eek
I just recieved my drills... how the heck did you not break more than one? Thats so tiny!
(No thats not what she said.)

Thanks Blakeh1, it was sort of a last minute rush job on the tie hangars...but it was Escape's idea. In fact, he was kind enough to post pics of his scratched up parts or I'd still be screwing around with them and likely done them goofy. I think his are gonna look better once he gets them squared away. That's why I started this as an open invitation thread. I like seeing what other guys are doing and hearing their ideas. It makes my builds better for sure, and if someone picks up something from me, well that's cool too.
The added details look good. I love the Tie hangar

- - - Updated - - -

Better than mine I meant to say, but you probably know what I meant :thumbsup

unfortunately, I'm far enough along that I won't be able to use some of the stuff in the PE set, but a good bit of it will be useful. Many thanks again to Omnius for showing us this item. For myself, I had no idea it even existed. :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Lesson learned, if you're embarking on a good build, look around to see if there's PE available

View attachment 776313View attachment 776314View attachment 776315View attachment 776316View attachment 776317View attachment 776318View attachment 776319View attachment 776320 Over the holiday I attempted to duplicate what Omnius did with his greeblie work on the upper hull. I didn't get exactly what he's got due to what I had to work with, but I think it came out pretty good and was worth the time and effort. I also decided I needed to do the trench hangar for the other side as well, actually was easier and quicker since I had the other one to go off of. lit pics are too bright to see anything so I left the LED's off, though it does look pretty good when lit, just can't get a clear photo. I had a bit of trouble washing the upper, couldn't get it even, so I did a mist of the Citadel white to clean it up, but I think I'm going to have to get the air brush out to get it right.

The hangar and all the additions look great!!

I was away most of last week but did do some work on it yesterday and decided to go FO route. Started to do some of that along with some other stuff. I tested using the Loctite GO2 gel and a few other water based glues and I don't like the Loctite because once you s=get it on your fingers it has that silicone feel which you can easily get on the surfaces of the model. I'm using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky glue that is just as strong as the Loctite and is water clean up. I put some in a small bottle with a thin tip and it works great. It was very difficult to pull the fiber out of the test piece I did using the Aleene's glue. I let it dry 24 hrs. and it dries clear.

Still deciding on warm white or cool white for interior flickering/non flickering cool white or blue for engines.

Being that I will be able to access interior I may setup so I can change out the LEDs if I don't like what I choose. I purchased 8mm warm white and cool white LEDs so I will be able to fit approx. 196 fibers in one 8mm LED . Hope to use between 5 and 10 LEDs with a couple of small 3mm for the color ones. I also bought a few tools to cut the FO in those hard to reach places. I have another on order that has a really fine curved cutting tip.

Small circle in larger one calculator

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html

20171128_080637smaller.jpg 20171128_080648smaller.jpg 20171128_080730smaller.jpg 20171128_080711smaller.jpg 20171128_080816smaller.jpg

looking good brother! I see you like the same tape that I do :lol So that glue...for the FO, right? I've been using Lazerbond successfully but I can't find it in stores anymore. Go online and it says Walmart still has it, but been to 3 stores...nodda. I guess I gotta order online...what a pain.
I really like those tiny clippers with the cross tail, perfect. I found a set of stuff at Walgreens for doing finger and toe nails for 10 bucks. the tiny side cutters are the bomb, and there was a small short pair of scissors in there too, but I think it's still too big. might take 'em to the bench grinder and gently grind the outsides till there only a little left, then they might fit in the tight spots. 8mm is bigger than I've been using, biggest I have is a 5mm. but when you think about it, particularly with this type of project, those bigger LED's are a great choice, good call dude [:thumbsup I got nothing done last night, had to pack up the 31" Disney Nautilus I finished a month ago to go to Austria. I Ebay-ed it and didn't get what I really wanted for it. Had probably 350 in the whole thing and got 600. Oh well, I didn't lose at least. Then it was my turn to cook dinner. Tonight tho, Finish trimming the contact points of upper and lower so they fit together. still a bit to shave on the upper for the hangars you influenced me to do :thumbsup Then I need to trim the tower for the angle and change where I ran the FO, the tower fits nice and snug, but the FO needs to go to the rear so as not to pinch it all. I added more FO to the tower to be more like Omnius so now I have like 170 or so in the tower and face panel. Did you get a PE set for yours too? Sorry...didn't mean to babble on so much :wackoQUOTE=Escape068;4359717]The hangar and all the additions look great!!

I was away most of last week but did do some work on it yesterday and decided to go FO route. Started to do some of that along with some other stuff. I tested using the Loctite GO2 gel and a few other water based glues and I don't like the Loctite because once you s=get it on your fingers it has that silicone feel which you can easily get on the surfaces of the model. I'm using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky glue that is just as strong as the Loctite and is water clean up. I put some in a small bottle with a thin tip and it works great. It was very difficult to pull the fiber out of the test piece I did using the Aleene's glue. I let it dry 24 hrs. and it dries clear.

Still deciding on warm white or cool white for interior flickering/non flickering cool white or blue for engines.

Being that I will be able to access interior I may setup so I can change out the LEDs if I don't like what I choose. I purchased 8mm warm white and cool white LEDs so I will be able to fit approx. 196 fibers in one 8mm LED . Hope to use between 5 and 10 LEDs with a couple of small 3mm for the color ones. I also bought a few tools to cut the FO in those hard to reach places. I have another on order that has a really fine curved cutting tip.

Small circle in larger one calculator

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html

View attachment 776697 View attachment 776706 View attachment 776707 View attachment 776708 View attachment 776709[/QUOTE]

Escape,

I know we're no where near being finished with these, but I wanted to say thanks for all the positive input and great ideas. It's making this one way better than it otherwise would have been :thumbsup

Glad to be of any assistance. This is how ideas get shared and make modeling more enjoyable for everyone!!

Another thing I'm working on is getting colored .25mm .50mm and .75mm fiber optic filament so they can be bundled with the same light source. I was guaranteed their is no light bleed even if the colored fibers are laying on each other especially over the clear ones........This will make setup easier!

Those small scissors you can get on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-O-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And the other ones I have not received yet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Fine-Arr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

What are your thoughts on the flickering and Non flickering Cool white or blue for the engines?

I also picked up 5mm wide angle LEDs in cool white, warm whit and blue (120 degree viewing angle compared to 30 degree for standard) possibly for the engines. Too bad they don't have them in flickering

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-5mm...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-5mm...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

8mm LEDs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-8-10mm...var=421122314298&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back