Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

MastahBlastah

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since I'm finally wrapping up my Greedo Killer build, I decided it's time to start the thread for my next build ...

I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top.

Here are the parts I've acquired thus far:

Kalimar Six Sixty with original Kaligar f2.8 80mm lens:
Being the most difficult (and expensive) piece to acquire, I waited until I found a decent deal on one of these (on eBay, earlier this year) and pounced on it. In great vintage shape:

Kalimar Viewer:
It's in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not? EDIT: I painted it.

Seagull 4A:
Having seen Scottjua's recent discovery that the screen-used macros most likely used a different Seagull knob than the commonly accepted one, I began combing the internet for this different knob. Months of searching yielded plenty of cameras with the variant knob but they all had a black plastic housing, while the screen-grabs show what appears to be a silver knob. Eventually, I convinced myself that the prop makers just painted one of these black knobs silver, and purchased one with that intent:

EDIT: There are behind the scenes photos that clearly show the knurled, bandless version of the Seagull knob mounted on the macros, though I'm still not convinced that the banded version wasn't used throughout at least part of the film.

Almost immediately after that purchase, I saw an Aluminum Knob Variant pop up for sale in Germany. This one is absolutely pristine!

Eumig Servomatic:
These are fairly common and cheap on eBay. It was just a matter of waiting for a good deal on one in good, worn shape:

Bell & Howell Two Twenty:
These are even more common/cheap. After examining screen-grabs, it seems that they used a very obscure variant of the 220 that had a grey knob center piece, instead of the commonly available red knob variety. I've been searching and have only found one grey knob, but couldn't acquire it.

Second real Kaligar f2.8 80mm & Dark Energy Creations' Machined Aluminum Lens Plate:
I was lucky enough to find the 2nd Kaligar lens on its own, without having to purchase a second Kaligar. Dave's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer, which I'l get to later.

Greeblie Kit by Trooper:
The mystery box is great. I plan to do a bit of touchup and maybe some painting. The belt clip is great as well, I'll have to find some rivets for it. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about using WannaWanga's saber rivets, as I used them on my ANH Graflex build. I plan on eventually making my own mystery wedge, using my real Eumig knob. I'll most likely use these resin lens knobs. They are nice, detailed casts. Neither of my lenses came with them, unfortunately. EDIT: The actual parts used to create the "mystery box" were later revealed on the next page in this thread.

This will likely be a slow build, but I'm looking forward to getting started. Hoping to do an EL sheet in the lens hood eventually as well. So much great reference here on the RPF, thanks to all that have documented their builds! Now ... to paint the lenses or not?

Last edited:
Since I'm finally wrapping up my Greedo Killer build, I decided it's time to start the thread for my next build ...

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4508/23988437978_3cfa427849_o.jpg[/URL]

I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top.

Here are the parts I've acquired thus far:

Kalimar Six Sixty with original Kaligar f2.8 80mm lens:
Being the most difficult (and expensive) piece to acquire, I waited until I found a decent deal on one of these (on eBay, earlier this year) and pounced on it. In great vintage shape:

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/23988435718_0ff40fc374_o.jpg[/URL]

Here's a shot of the lens hood detached. It's also in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/37840964461_a5a25b39c1_o.jpg[/URL]

Seagull 4A:
Having seen Scottjua's recent discovery that the screen-used macros most likely used a different Seagull knob than the commonly accepted one, I began combing the internet for this different knob. Months of searching yielded plenty of cameras with the variant knob but they were all had a black plastic housing, while the screen-grabs show what appears to be a silver knob. Eventually, I convinced myself that the prop makers just painted one of these black knobs silver, and purchased one with that intent:

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4505/23988740328_1bf233f46d_o.jpg[/URL]

Almost immediately after that purchase, I saw an aluminum knob variant pop up for sale in Germany. I struggled with it for a while, but decided it was worth the trouble to level up to the accurate knob. This one is absolutely pristine ... it will be a shame to hack it up!

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4479/37840962221_86c53dfcb5_o.jpg[/URL]

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4469/23988434438_04197952f0_o.jpg[/URL]

Eumig Servomatic. These are fairly common and cheap on eBay. It was just a matter of waiting for a good deal on one in good, worn shape:

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4466/37809226182_995e775128_o.jpg[/URL]

Bell & Howell Two Twenty:
These are even more common/cheap. After examining screen-grabs, it seems that they used a very obscure variant of the 220 that had a grey knob center piece, instead of the commonly available red knob variety. I've been searching and have only found one grey knob, but it is unavailable (frustratingly). I'll resign to paint this one, for now ...

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4490/37809229522_0711c9378f_o.jpg[/URL]

Second real Kaligar f2.8 80mm & Threaded, machined aluminum lens plate by DMachinist:
The lens speaks for itself. DMachinist's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer, which I'l get to later.

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4445/23988439068_71e5238918_o.jpg[/URL]

Greeblie Kit by Trooper:
The mystery box is great. I plan to do a bit of touchup and maybe painting. the belt clip is great as well, I'll have to find some rivets for it. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about using WannaWanga's saber rivets, as I used them on my ANH Graflex build. I plan on eventually making my own mystery wedge, using my real Eumig knob. I'll most likely use these resin lens knobs. they are nice, detailed casts. Neither of my lenses came with them, unfortunately:

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4467/37840959771_3956f28028_o.jpg[/URL]

This will likely be a slow build, but I'm lookin forward to getting started. Hoping to do an EL sheet in the lens hood eventually, as well. So much great reference here on the RPF, thanks to all that have documented their builds! Now ... to paint the lenses or not?
Nice start, can't wait to see it finished

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Awesome treasure hunting, MastahBlastah! Seeing all your pieces together gives me some faith that I’ll find my missing Kalimars some day. Agreed on all the great resources here for other stellar builds, the one scottjua did is a thing of beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice collection of parts, they’re getting harder and harder to locate w/o spending a grip of money!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4508/23988437978_3cfa427849_o.jpg

I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top -

If you like the one pictured in my build, I was just making a few of these up today at the shop. If you’d like one, PM me!

Kalimar Lens Hood:
It's in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?

Screen used prop appeared to have a black painted view finder flap

Machined Aluminum Lens Plate by DMachinist:
The lens speaks for itself. DMachinist's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer.

I had this part commissioned for my build, great piece! Make a metal spacer too. As far as rivets for the belt clip, I'd recommend screws if you ever want to access the interior of the Eumig, see my build for details. Again, great hunting and I look forward to your build!

Last edited:
Nice collection of parts, they’re getting harder and harder to locate w/o spending a grip of money!

I had this part commissioned for my build, great piece! Make a metal spacer too. As far as rivets for the belt clip, I'd recommend screws if you ever want to access the interior of the Eumig, see my build for details. Again, great hunting and I look forward to your build!
How are you coming along with the build?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lukeheromacros.jpg

I think that this pic shows that Scott was mistaken about the Seagull knob

SGKNOB1.jpgIn my opinion thats the pic that confirms this seagull knob. Here is a pic of an original and one of my cold cast copies. The shadow on that pic above hides the lower part of the knob but the lines are the same spacing and the knob is the correct hight. Also notice how the black on the side of the knob creeps into the rounded upper edge as it is on this Seagull knob.

M08 copy.jpg Here is a close up showing how the internals were painted grey. It also shows the indented lower area is present.

Last edited:
Nice. I didn't see that closeup before. It's always appears black to me from a distance. I agree that pic clears up any confusion.

View attachment 771929

I think that this pic shows that Scott was mistaken about the Seagull knob

I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 771930In my opinion thats the pic that confirms this seagull knob. Here is a pic of an original and one of my cold cast copies. The shadow on that pic above hides the lower part of the knob but the lines are the same spacing and the knob is the correct hight. Also notice how the black on the side of the knob creeps into the rounded upper edge as it is on this Seagull knob.

View attachment 771939 Here is a close up showing how the internals were painted grey. It also shows the indented lower area is present.

Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

B20170310-105004.jpg

I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

- - - Updated - - -

Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

http://www.scottandtemphotography.com/graflexSaber/feb2017builds/B20170310-105004.jpg

I really like that version too. Thank you for sharing the pics. I agree that they probably had more than one prop. You have to just find the version you like and go with it. Or build one of each. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.scottandtemphotography.com/graflexSaber/feb2017builds/B20170310-105004.jpg

No more mistakes. Let that be your one and only sir!!!! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Considering that that they probably glued that knob on and they were filming Luke falling all over the place in that sceen while holding the macros Im sure parts fell off and were replaced on the regular.

Scott, recently roger told me that there was only one hero Marcos made for the movie if that helps at all.

I have read many threads on Macrobinocular builds. I have seen many very amazing builds, very detailed, over the last 40 years. I want to build my own. Is it true no one has every been able to identify the actual part is that is placed on the opposite side of the macros from the Seagull knob? (some call the mystery box)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back