Debate! Chrome tape on the ANH Graflex

I'd like to know one way or another for sure, and I can see both ways in different pics. I wouldn't be surprised if both existed.

Personally I hate the tape and will never put it on any saber regardless if it's accurate or not.

I have made a comparison by simulating the photographic lighting, position, lens, grain, etc.
It's not perfect, but it's close.
All three versions are done with vintage Graflex clamps.
I'm very curious what you all think!

tape-no-tape.jpg

regards,
roy

To my eye, it kinda looks like the 'no tape' leaves the logo too visible in comparison, whereas the aluminium tape sorta covers it and doesn't seem to reflect differently from the flash body or bare clamp.
The polyester tape looks noticeably different in the way it reflects and covers the logo.

Again, just my opinion

I have made a comparison by simulating the photographic lighting, position, lens, grain, etc.

View attachment 732268

regards,
roy

Great comparison shots Roy! :thumbsup
If tape was used, it was aluminum tape. & I think you're beginning to convince me.... I think tape MIGHT'VE been used. I'm still not putting it on mine though, cause I like the GRAFLEX logo being seen look better.

View attachment 732268

regards,
roy
I'm thinking no tape. If the contrast was a little more pronounced on your no tape pic, I think the clamp lines and lettering would look identical to the original pic.
The shadows in your pics are just not as dark as the original, but you've done a great job none the less.

Last edited:
I agree--Roy you did a very nice job with those pics. But still, I don't see any tape. The polyester mylar film is totally out--way too shiny. And yes, the aluminum foil does obscure the letters, making them appear to be more like the saber in the original reference photo. Nevertheless, there is a marked difference in finish between the aluminum foil on the clamp and the finish of the Graflex flash itself. There does not appear to be any such contrast on the original saber.

Observe also that on the original, you actually can see the outlines where the L, E, and X letters are on the clamp. The X is somewhat visible on the clamp with the aluminum tape due to its position in the light, but the L and E are totally washed out, as I suspected would happen.

Your picture of the hilt without tape looks closest to the original prop. See how there are those grey outlines of the letters L and E? They're a bit blurrier on the original and the lighting is a little darker, but they're there as well.

Again I point to the cleanliness of the cutouts in the clamp as evidence of there being no tape. I also want to emphasize the identical finish between the clamp and the Graflex body as indicating no tape.

I agree--Roy you did a very nice job with those pics. But still, I don't see any tape. The polyester mylar film is totally out--way too shiny. And yes, the aluminum foil does obscure the letters, making them appear to be more like the saber in the original reference photo. Nevertheless, there is a marked difference in finish between the aluminum foil on the clamp and the finish of the Graflex flash itself. There does not appear to be any such contrast on the original saber.

Observe also that on the original, you actually can see the outlines where the L, E, and X letters are on the clamp. The X is somewhat visible on the clamp with the aluminum tape due to its position in the light, but the L and E are totally washed out, as I suspected would happen.

Your picture of the hilt without tape looks closest to the original prop. See how there are those grey outlines of the letters L and E? They're a bit blurrier on the original and the lighting is a little darker, but they're there as well.

Again I point to the cleanliness of the cutouts in the clamp as evidence of there being no tape. I also want to emphasize the identical finish between the clamp and the Graflex body as indicating no tape.

You know what, I tend to fully agree! [emoji16]
This was my conclusion after making the photos as well. The fact that you can see the letters better than in the original might be due to lighting and contrast. And I agree that the gloss without tape is very similar.

Applying the tape for the prop made total sense to me though; as a prop maker you'd never know how close the prop will be shot and covering the logo makes sense for a Galaxy far far away. It also makes sense to cut out the rectangles, because these holes are so deep that the alu tape almost automatically rips open.

I might try to do a better photographic test in a while, with a darker environment, to simulate the original even better.
SethS sorry mate, if I let you down! [emoji4]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree also! Remember that the Graflex was likely a Folmer with straight pins. They have a shinier finish (less brushed looking), so the washout and light reflection would be greater.

I was firmly undecided! I wouldn't be surprised if it was on one or two of the props, but it certainly wasn't on all of them. I don't know about the tape you used, but mine was really unforgiving. Getting it on, lined up correctly, and wrinkle and ding free would have taken much care, and everything points to these things being thrown together.

Last edited:
I was firmly undecided! I wouldn't be surprised if it was on one or two of the props, but it certainly wasn't on all of them. I don't know about the tape you used, but mine was really unforgiving. Getting it on, lined up correctly, and wrinkle and ding free would have taken much care, and everything points to these things being thrown together.

I agree.

Stellar job on the comparison shots, roygilsing. I have to agree with the consensus as well. The difference in reflection on the finish between each one really stands out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it isn't covered to me, maybe the clamp is a variant with the painted letters, but were there any Folmers like that? I've only seen Graflex Inc. clamps with black lettering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In MY opinion... there's no tape. For me there is no debate. Aside from photo evidence, based on my research on graflexes alone, I found that nearly all early Folmers (which I believe the original prop to be made from) usually had a more polished/shiny finish overall and some clamps had a more lightly stamped G R A F L E X logo on the clamps. Which makes the letters look less pronounced... like you might see with a later vintage clamp to look with the layer of aluminum tape.

Me, I am stubborn. But now that I've done my own investigation with the photo shoot and reading the opinions, I am in the no tape camp. I don't easily take things for granted, but I have to learn to be less conclusive because my eyes CAN deceive me, even though I trust my vision so much. Perhaps too much. So this exercise is good fun, but also a good lesson for me!

Roy

This is why I'm hooked on The RPF. Passion for the craft is beyond compare. Every prop has been picked apart, blown up and put back together again. And we still find new pieces that were missed. New ways to replicate our props over and over. Cudos people, even if the tape falls in the no category, it's still fun and eye opening

Do we know how experienced and skilled the prop builders were who made the original sabers? A good artist could lay down tape or foil quite seemlessly. I worked in a vinyl sign shop for a summer once when I was young and became fairly skilled at applying adhesive materials without bubbles or creases. It's all in the technique. Water and dish soap solution sprayed on the clamp and a squeege should smooth out the tape. I tend to agree with the no tape camp though.

It was just one guy - Roger Christian. And by his own account he didn't spend much time slapping these things together, so its doubtful if there was tape that he took the time and care with it like you're talking about.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back