Modern TV's LED & OLED vs Old Plasma

OldKen

Master Member
For all of the videophile RPFers!

Changed the title, for I have found the answer!

OLED hands down!

But for those that missed my ranting about my TV nightmare that began November 2016, I've left it all up.

---------------
2 TVs in question, A 5-6 year old plasma Samsung PN51D55 TV, vs a brand new LED Samsung 6 series 6300 UHD with HDR.

The question(s):

Are the new UHD LED TVs still not up to the level of natural feeling clarity and fluid movement that my plasma of over 5 years had? (Light tap on the screen a few days ago caused a small crack, then it went fully out)

Or is the LED Samsung 6 series 6300 just a POS? It was such a great deal, it was worth a shot!
---------
Question #2: Has anyone here ever replaced a plasma display? I was told that a new Tv would be cheaper... But I found a replacement plasma display for pretty cheap online today...

Help me RPF. I truly loved my old TV. And even though the new LED was a great deal... What's the point if I don't like looking at it???

I know they have been phasing out plasma for a while as it's a LOT more tedious and more expensive to make than LEDs.

All I'm saying is that to me personally... even the PS4pro on the old plasma just really looked very... Awesome. Almost real.

Even with all the motion blur, "soap opera effect" etc tweeted on the new TV... It looks no where near as fluid TO ME as the old one. And the plasma looked SHARP. You couldn't see anything but laser sharp lines even a foot or 2 away. The LED just has digital artifact looking crap even when still... But way worse in motion.

I think the biggest problem is that sometimes the LED looks pretty darn clear, then when there's a fast change in lighting, or speed of camera movement... Again it's not the nauseating SOE, it just Stands out to me. I'm not up to date on all of the terminology but I'm trying here!

Most bluerays look pretty great for the most part.... ARRGGHH, I don't know. it's just my first full day with it. Just thought I would be upgrading... But I've read reviews and suggestions for settings for the different inputs etc.

The ps4 pro lighting and flame effects are drastically better. But the core graphics of the games look more jaggy/artifactish on the 4k TV and again, the colors, light transitions, and movement, all seemed better on the plasma. And I'm talking about games that are optimized for 4k. With the TV, system, and game settings all set to 4k... Connected through the ONLY 4k HDMI... (1 4kHDMI??? That right there makes me want to take it back)

Any suggestions? I'm sorry for the rant and I'm sure that most that read this will want to respond with "you should've done some research Ken!!!"

I found myself out of a TV on Cyber Monday and well... here I am!

I've had a really crappy week. My refrigerator went out the day after thanksgiving then a few days later? A broken TV.

Thanks for those who actually read through my un informed banter. I am thankful for any input. I just honestly miss my TV. :(

Soo.... should I keep the new TV and hope I acclimate to it?

Or maybe going down from 55inch to 50 might help with how much things stand out???

If I take it back should I hold out and buy one after the season? Or are there any good deals now on something i might find closer to what I'm used to?

Or even just try to repair the old one?

If nothing else. Thanks for letting me vent guys.

HAPPY Hollidays!

Last edited:
Re: Q and Rant? LCD UHD TV's

Plasma was the bomb back in the day, for sure! I agree with you that a solid Plasma is still better than today's LED TVs ... and if your content with 1080P blu-ray, plasma is still great... But now I have been spoiled... On Thanksgiving Black Friday I was due for a TV upgrade. I bought an LG OLED B6.... Holy Cow!!! After getting rid of the soap opera effect and calibrating a bit, I could not believe my eyes! Watching Mad Max Fury Road in UHD bluray with HDR was like watching HD for the first time all over again... I would just wait till next year and invest in OLED, it will be a lot cheaper then..

Even an OLED that isn't 4K is still better than getting a standard 4K TV. The boost in contrasts do wonders for black levels and color. And with no broad backlight, the screen doesn't have any 'brighter spots'.

Stupid question here OldKen, but did you go through the calibration process with the TV?

I ask because I'm a Sharp Aquos guy myself, and when I upgraded from my trusty 46 to the 60, I was really disappointed in the picture quality of the 60. After looking at it a bit, it turns out that from the factory all of the settings were basically just adjusted to 0...so after going through some really basic calibrating I ended up with what I found to be a great picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even with all the motion blur, "soap opera effect" etc tweeted on the new TV... It looks no where near as fluid TO ME as the old one. And the plasma looked SHARP. You couldn't see anything but laser sharp lines even a foot or 2 away. The LED just has digital artifact looking crap even when still... But way worse in motion.

All those IDIOTIC filters should be switched off ASAP, as they ruin films for example.

Even an OLED that isn't 4K is still better than getting a standard 4K TV. The boost in contrasts do wonders for black levels and color. And with no broad backlight, the screen doesn't have any 'brighter spots'.

Most TV advertised as "4K" doesn't even support 4K

[/QUOTE] Most TV advertised as "4K" doesn't even support 4K[/QUOTE]

... your absolutely right... I bought a 4K tely 3 years ago, a Sony XBR. I also got their 4K player, it came with some 'Sony' movies preloaded but nothing good. It was my only 4K video I could watch. This year as 4K video became more prevalent, I got a new Roku premium player thinking I could stream 4K. Wrong! All the HDMI standards had changed so it was a no go. Even when I bought a 4K bluray player, all it would remind me of was how out of date my TV was by reminding me that my Sony did not support HDMI 2.2. Frustrating!

Forced to upgrade, but happy with my new TV

Most TV advertised as "4K" doesn't even support 4K[/QUOTE]

... your absolutely right... I bought a 4K tely 3 years ago, a Sony XBR. I also got their 4K player, it came with some 'Sony' movies preloaded but nothing good. It was my only 4K video I could watch. This year as 4K video became more prevalent, I got a new Roku premium player thinking I could stream 4K. Wrong! All the HDMI standards had changed so it was a no go. Even when I bought a 4K bluray player, all it would remind me of was how out of date my TV was by reminding me that my Sony did not support HDMI 2.2. Frustrating!

Forced to upgrade, but happy with my new TV[/QUOTE]

That too, but also I mostly meant they are advertised as 4K when in reality they only support up to 2160p(3840x2160) and when they explain why they call it 4K they just say "it's close to 4000". When in reality there's been an established set 4K resolution for years: 4096x2304 in regular 16:9 widescreen, cinematic: 4096x2160(16:8) 1.9, 4096x1741 2.35

Calling something one thing doesn't make it true. Take the latest Star Trek film, shot in something like 2.5K and eventually upscaled to 4K. Basically what they would have to do with Star Wars episodes 2 and 3(which were shot in 1080p).

So until the industry gets its crap together I would suggest fixing your plasma :)
"Why buy a 3D TV when there's no 3D content?"

The consensus at AVS forums seems to be, if you are a happy plasma owner then the only real option
to continue that happiness is a 4k OLED. The 55" LG was on sale on cyber monday at amazon for $ 1,800.

Heard it's good, but panasonic's OLED offerings are just around the corner and likely to be superior,
but who knows if the price will be reasonable. They moved their entire plasma team to OLED
tech some time ago.

I'm a panasonic plasma owner of 7 years and holding out for when a 65" OLED 4k hits the $ 2,000 mark.

Most TV advertised as "4K" doesn't even support 4K
I think we should use the term "Ultra HD" over here and not fuddle it the terms up just because TV-manufacturers such as Sony and Samsung do.
4K is 4K and Ultra HD is Ultra HD. This is a cinema-related forum with many professionals, after all.

Besides OLED I read somewhere something about a different, a newer display technology that made OLED inferior on the horizon, very expensive right now. Like all new technology is, mostly.

I think we should use the term "Ultra HD" over here and not fuddle it the terms up just because TV-manufacturers such as Sony and Samsung do.
4K is 4K and Ultra HD is Ultra HD. This is a cinema-related forum with many professionals, after all.

Indeed. :)

It's bad enough when so called techies that know next to nothing try and explain things they don't grasp at all :lol

I'm ecstatic to say that I just got the LG C6 OLED.

Last year this model was about $4,000 US. I got it for under $1,700. New with warranty.

Amazing. Even antenna TV looks better than the Samsung 4K "uhd" I bought before Christmas! Stuff like the simpsons/family guy on the LED looked like pixelated vibrating GARBAGE on that LED TV... the pixels were seriously the size of 8 bit Nintendo game graphics! (Disclaimer: I have had 2 Samsung TV's in a row before this, including the plasma that I loved!!!!)

On the new LG OLED the picture is razor sharp and still. No pixelisation even at only a foot away!!!

I messed with all the settings on the Samsung LED. I tried 30 or more suggested settings that I found around the net. For an entire month!!! That TV was GARBAGE to my eyes!

The LG OLED is glorious out of the box!!! (And it gets better from there!!!)

Games on the PS4 pro in 4K with HDR on? Droooool......

Master Edi, I would love to hear your preferences on settings since you have the almost exact TV!

In closing. If you are thinking about upgrading your TV this year... I emplore you to wait till Black Friday.

The 2017 OLEDs are coming out soon and they are even better and thinner. But they START over 4 grand and go to over 20.

I couldn't wait and got a hell of a deal, but I have good word that THIS is the year to jump on a Black Friday TV. ;)

I'm ecstatic to say that I just got the LG C6 OLED.

Last year this model was about $4,000 US. I got it for under $1,700. New with warranty.

Amazing. Even antenna TV looks better than the Samsung 4K "uhd" I bought before Christmas! Stuff like the simpsons/family guy on the LED looked like pixelated vibrating GARBAGE on that LED TV... the pixels were seriously the size of 8 bit Nintendo game graphics! (Disclaimer: I have had 2 Samsung TV's in a row before this, including the plasma that I loved!!!!)

On the new LG OLED the picture is razor sharp and still. No pixelisation even at only a foot away!!!

I messed with all the settings on the Samsung LED. I tried 30 or more suggested settings that I found around the net. For an entire month!!! That TV was GARBAGE to my eyes!

The LG OLED is glorious out of the box!!! (And it gets better from there!!!)

Games on the PS4 pro in 4K with HDR on? Droooool......

Master Edi, I would love to hear your preferences on settings since you have the almost exact TV!

In closing. If you are thinking about upgrading your TV this year... I emplore you to wait till Black Friday.

The 2017 OLEDs are coming out soon and they are even better and thinner. But they START over 4 grand and go to over 20.

I couldn't wait and got a hell of a deal, but I have good word that THIS is the year to jump on a Black Friday TV. ;)

I hear ya, man. I bought a 65" LG C6 OLED back in October and it's hands down the best TV I've ever owned. My previous screen was a Pioneer Elite 60" KURO plasma which was the King back in it's day, but the OLED blows it out of the water. Seriously. :cool

Hey Brent! Care to share some setting preferences?

Be, Yeah my Samsung plasma was ranked right under the ol pioneer elites. I loved that thing! You could fry an egg a foot away from the screen with the ungodly heat it put out... but man what a picture for back then!

I hear ya, man. I bought a 65" LG C6 OLED back in October and it's hands down the best TV I've ever owned. My previous screen was a Pioneer Elite 60" KURO plasma which was the King back in it's day, but the OLED blows it out of the water. Seriously. :cool

Oh... search YouTube for: LG W7 if you haven't seen it...

They are available for presale at Best Buy at $8,000 but it's 65" and the ENTIRE screen is the thickness of a credit card... the "guts" are in a separate soundbar.

New hotness.

I purchased a calibration DVD for our Sharp Aquos and really like the settings it provided. My wife and I will probably upgrade in the next few years but OLED is something I'll start reading on now.

OLED is definitely it, but the prices are just too high. As you said, 8k for 65" is just way too much IMO. I got a great (IMO) LED set. Love it. Great colors, really good (but not OLED) blacks for 2.8K. They had the LG OLED there as well and yeah, it was better, but not to the tune of 6k (both were 65" and it was a nearly a year ago).

OLED's are on par with Plasma's for blacks. This years might even surpass it. I'll be checking in on one one it's in the 3k range for 65" or larger. Oh, and those blacks won't help a lot if your signal gets too compressed.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back