Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
So many rules on this forum that are so weird. Its like dealing with my HOA :facepalm

It's not really that complicated. No politics. No religion. Don't be A-holes to each other. Pretty simple. Anyway...

giphy.gif

So, a couple things upon rewatch here.
The Luke/Yoda scene gives me all the feels. It's a thing of beauty.
2nd, the work that went into updating the in world tech, like the new star destroyer technical stations, is brilliant. Smacks of the old stuff but still new and cool.

I know I’m super late to the party on this one but... this film is, in my opinion, the single worst cinematic disaster and betrayal of original source material in the history of film.
Some films are just plain bad. This was a compete waste of a fantastic franchise and I feel that, unless there is a complete reversal of ideas and plot elements on the next one that the ‘official’ world of Star Wars (as in the franchise) is dead in the water.
I’ll be reading Timothy Zahn’s novels and thinking of ways to unofficially revive Star Wars in the realms of fan fiction.

May the force be with you all.

So, a couple things upon rewatch here.
The Luke/Yoda scene gives me all the feels. It's a thing of beauty.
2nd, the work that went into updating the in world tech, like the new star destroyer technical stations, is brilliant. Smacks of the old stuff but still new and cool.
Yeah, my kid is 2, very talkative, and VERY opinionated. "We are what they grow beyond" gets me every time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So, I've been watching those epic YouTube criticism videos (I'm almost finished the last one) and I have to say, even though I only saw the film once, everything he's talking about was going through my mind while I was watching it.

I kept trying to recalibrate my brain to enjoy something and I just couldn't.

Is it flawed on the details? Yes. Plot inconsistency after inconsistency.
Is it flawed in it's originality? Yes. Page after page was ripped out of previous, better star wars flicks.
Is it flawed in it's SWIQ? yes. The way he brought new things to the table did more damage to previous star wars conventions than it added to them.
Is it flawed in it's story/character arc? This one is certainly more subjective. While I hated Luke, many people didn't.

So this brings me to ask, is it possible to enjoy something that is flawed in everyway possible? Obviously a lot of people like this movie. Yet most of those those flaws aren't subjective, either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, I've been watching those epic YouTube criticism videos (I'm almost finished the last one) and I have to say, even though I only saw the film once, everything he's talking about was going through my mind while I was watching it.

I kept trying to recalibrate my brain to enjoy something and I just couldn't.

Is it flawed on the details? Yes. Plot inconsistency after inconsistency.
Is it flawed in it's originality? Yes. Page after page was ripped out of previous, better star wars flicks.
Is it flawed in it's SWIQ? yes. The way he brought new things to the table did more damage to previous star wars conventions than it added to them.
Is it flawed in it's story/character arc? This one is certainly more subjective. While I hated Luke, many people didn't.

So this brings me to ask, is it possible to enjoy something that is flawed in everyway possible? Obviously a lot of people like this movie. Yet most of those those flaws aren't subjective, either.

Try and talk about objectively bad issues in this movie and prepare to jaw drop as people accept...nay, Defend...nay, LOVE the stupid. No matter how well you 'splain it, they blindly accepted something stupid, unphased, in fact, sometimes loving it.

Last thing they want to do it acknowledge that they loved something so broken.

Of course, you can like a flawed character...I would hate a Captain Amazing movie unless it was intentionally super campy. Flaws are to be expected in just about any story, but TLJ is like watching a dog vomit. Y'know, and everyone who understands it starts shouting, "no no no!" as the dog eats it up again, only to vomit AGAIN!

The point behind a major franchise is people expect entertainment, quality, and some consistency. While TLJ was visually pretty, good sound, the story and characters were vomit. Not just a let down, but a slap in the face to true fans. Read through this thread, you will see folks defending what should be considered indefensible...wayyyy too distracting to make a good film.

While TLJ was visually pretty, good sound

You are way more forgiving than me. Everything filmed indoors just looked like a sound stage to me. And the throne room looked like they either forgot to put the background over the green (red) screen or ran out of budget to do it. Yoda, urgh! Porgs looked like cartoons, which leads me to:

I hear that in Solo we are led to believe that Chewie is known to eat people. People! Beings that can reason, plea and bargain with him, but he eats them. But after hunting, killing, skinning and cooking a Porg he can't eat it when another one gives him the doe eyes. Like they went out to double down on the badness.

You are way more forgiving than me. Everything filmed indoors just looked like a sound stage to me. And the throne room looked like they either forgot to put the background over the green (red) screen or ran out of budget to do it. Yoda, urgh! Porgs looked like cartoons, which leads me to:

I hear that in Solo we are led to believe that Chewie is known to eat people. People! Beings that can reason, plea and bargain with him, but he eats them. But after hunting, killing, skinning and cooking a Porg he can't eat it when another one gives him the doe eyes. Like they went out to double down on the badness.
I agree. I went to school for theatre design and if I learned anything it's that a design doesn't mean anything unless it's supported by the narrative.

And by that, I mean that "no colour but red" isn't a concept, it's just fashion

Well you can't convince people that what they LOVE is ****e. All the ammo they have is the same lame crap, you're a hater, mysoganist, blah blah, blah in cross argument.
Drown in your love for Ruin. J....Your wrong, and you probably think Battlefield Earth is fantastic film making.

I watched a YouTube video to something of the effect of everything wrong with TLJ. And it ended up with over 100+ critical writing -points or plot holes. I agreed with them all, and could have added a few more of my own.
I've NEVER walked out of a SW film feeling so disgusted and disappointed. It's a completely rediculous film. It doesn't get any worse! How can this crap even be intellectually defended? Rotten writing is rotten writing. It can't be defended.

I know I'll never see another Ruin J. film. And any writer/director that ENJOYS dividing fans is a hack POS. He's said so himself. He's pure garbage/trash.

SW should be made for everyone to enjoy! Not some PC crap that shoves SJW BS down ones throat. Or turning the most beloved characters in cinematic history into PC bizarrer Muppets of themselves.

I hope JJ works some magic into NEIN, and brings it back. Unfortunately though I think the damage is done.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you can't convince people that what they LOVE is ****e. All the ammo they have is the same lame crap, you're a hater, mysoganist, blah blah, blah in cross argument.
Drown in your love for Ruin. J....Your wrong, and you probably think Battlefield Earth is fantastic film making.

I watched a YouTube video to something of the effect of everything wrong with TLJ. And it ended up with over 100+ critical writing -points or plot holes. I agreed with them all, and could have added a few more of my own.
I've NEVER walked out of a SW film feeling so disgusted and disappointed. It's a completely rediculous film. It doesn't get any worse! How can this crap even be intellectually defended? Rotten writing is rotten writing. It can't be defended.

I know I'll never see another Ruin J. film. And any writer/director that ENJOYS dividing fans is a hack POS. He's said so himself. He's pure garbage/trash.

SW should be made for everyone to enjoy! Not some PC crap that shoves SJW BS down ones throat. Or turning the most beloved characters in cinematic history into PC bizarrer Muppets of themselves.

I hope JJ works some magic into NEIN, and brings it back. Unfortunately though I think the damage is done.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back