Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
I saw the movie twice over the weekend. I really enjoyed. R1 is still my favorite Disney made SW movie, but Solo is now 2nd favorite. Is it perfect?, far from it.

But I have less issues with Solo than I do with TFA.

When L3 says "It can work, believe me" or words to that effect, the clear implication is that she's capable of having sex. That's skeevy old man in a trenchcoat levels of uncomfortable.

I don't know. It's a long standing tradition in Sci-Fi that there are robots (droids) that exist solely for the purpose of satisfying certain human needs. While I don't know if it's been addressed in the Star Wars universe, it's not inconceivable that they exist. L3, being a "self made" droid, could have acquired the proper hardware for that very purpose.

Whether that sort of thing actually belongs in a Star Wars movie, however, is questionable.

I don't know. It's a long standing tradition in Sci-Fi that there are robots (droids) that exist solely for the purpose of satisfying certain human needs. While I don't know if it's been addressed in the Star Wars universe, it's not inconceivable that they exist. L3, being a "self made" droid, could have acquired the proper hardware for that very purpose.

Whether that sort of thing actually belongs in a Star Wars movie, however, is questionable.

Exactly what I've been trying to say. I have zero problem when Data bangs Yar in Star Trek. I have zero issue with AI lovin' in Blade Runner 2049. Hell, I'm jealous. I wish I had a lovebot.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea for sci-fi to explore. I'm simply saying it's an idea that doesn't fit in Star Wars, tonally. I really can't see how nobody else got though that L3 scene without feeling like they'd discovered a dog turd on their pizza. It was so utterly outside what we expect from SW that you could almost hear a record scratch.
Snikt: I hate Bale's attitude, and I love Woody, so this casting worked for me. I thought Woody was perfect in the role. To each his own though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious...generally speaking, (and I haven't read this whole thread) if you disliked/hated Solo do you LIKE The Last Jedi?

Or do you think they both kinda sucked?

For me, it's hard to fathom liking TLJ and hating Solo. Maybe I'm just that out of touch with the SW fan community now. :D

a. Never felt Alden was Han
b. Way too many "lazy writing" moments. I think I'd have been ok with these if Alden looked at the audience (ala Deadpool) and announced them when they happened.
- Han speaks Wookie?
- Qi'Ra just shows up out of nowhere
- Woody pulled a Donovan from The Last Crusade
c. Paul Bettany's character was just weak. It was obvious these were rushed and part of the reshoots.
d. The whole Lando - L3 thing was a step too far.

The wife and I went and saw it over the weekend. We both liked it. From what I've been told, Miller and Lord were going for a Ocean's 11 type of tone for the movie. If they could have pulled it off, that would have been awesome.

I absolutely loved Donald Glover. It was inspired casting. He had the mannerisms and the vocal inflection down pat. Heck, a couple of times it almost sounded like Billy Dee dubbed the lines. I really liked him. It would have been nice to see him and Han pull another job before Han wins the Falcon.

My only two major gripes were with the casting of Woody Harrelson and Alden Ehrenreich. I understand what they were going for with Woody's character, he was just to goofy for my part. Also Alden Ehrenreich, just didn't cut it for me. Now if he was playing Bob Solo or Mike Solo maybe, but not Han Solo. It wasn't the goofy look he had on his face through the whole movie, it was the total lack of charisma. I mean, dye his hair and throw George Clooney in there and he could have at least mugged his way through and it would have been 1000 fold better than what we got. I can get past the whole looks thing, I just want some one with some charisma and charm. He had none.

-OWK

Last edited:
d. The whole Lando - L3 thing was a step too far.

I still think this whole topic was blown way out of proportion in the media compared to how things played out on screen. I honestly don't see even how a kid would read into this any farther than a person who cared like the way Luke did for R2 getting cooked during the Death Star run.

Yes there was talk from L3 about a few things, but they keep it fairly neutral to where a kid wouldn't really connect those dots the way we tend to read deeper. Or maybe I'm the only one who believes this isn't as big of a deal.

Leia (to Han): Is that a blaster in your pocket or are you happy to see me?
Han: You know I only shoot off at probe droids.
(Laugh track)

See how utterly weird and out of place that is in Star Wars?!

Last I'll say about it. I've made my case. I'm out. Droid humpin' ahoy, Captain.

For me, it's hard to fathom liking TLJ and hating Solo. Maybe I'm just that out of touch with the SW fan community now. :D

While it certainly had issues, TLJ told an original story. I felt like I not only saw something new, but it left open the possibility for completing this story in a way that doesn't just feel like the RotJ rehash that Force Awakens was setting up for us.

I feel like some people just want the comfort food that is the familiar. And that's fine. But it's not for me. I found Solo to be a great looking film that was ultimately bland. Vanilla ice cream in a fancy bowl. It took absolutely no risks, and "safe" is not something I want from a film about a character like Han Solo.

I didn't dislike Solo because, frankly, it just didn't generate emotions for me one way or the other. It was utterly forgettable.

I still think this whole topic was blown way out of proportion in the media compared to how things played out on screen. I honestly don't see even how a kid would read into this any farther than a person who cared like the way Luke did for R2 getting cooked during the Death Star run.

Yes there was talk from L3 about a few things, but they keep it fairly neutral to where a kid wouldn't really connect those dots the way we tend to read deeper. Or maybe I'm the only one who believes this isn't as big of a deal.

The Red Letter Media review basicly says the same thing. The problem stemming from the writer saying "ok, sure" in in interview and the Left and the Right running to their respective corners with it. Blame on both sides I think, for blowing it out of proportions. Where things got messy was when Jon Kasdan kind of doubled down on it in a later Tweet. I'm sure Disney wanst thrilled with the writer bringing sexual politics into their supposedly family friendly movie.

I'm so glad the So-Low box office return is showing Disney that they can't just shell out whatever second-rate ideas they have and expect the fans to eat any piece of trash with Star Wars on it.

I said I wouldn't contribute to the opening weekend return and I'm glad I didn't. I hope it leads to some change.

People like to complain when you have concerns over a franchise, and say "Well, you just don't like Star Wars then.." No, I still LOVE Star Wars- but I love Star Wars when Star Wars is Star Wars. Whatever Disney is sending out right now is just cheap ideas in an even cheaper disguise. Money talks. My complaints here don't accomplish a whole lot, but if you starve the franchise from the money it thinks it deserves they'll listen. I hope that is what comes from all of this.

KK, you give me good Star Wars and I'll give you my money.

I don't think we can draw any real conclusions until we see the BO for next weekend. Will there be a catastrophic drop from the already low numbers, or will it hold fairly steady? While the BO is disappointing, and I have some theories about its cause, I feel next weekend will tell the important story, the word of mouth story. Not trying to spin this; it's clearly a huge disappointment for Lucasfilm, but it's not yet clear the film is an out and out bomb.

I don't think we can draw any real conclusions until we see the BO for next weekend. Will there be a catastrophic drop from the already low numbers, or will it hold fairly steady? While the BO is disappointing, and I have some theories about its cause, I feel next weekend will tell the important story, the word of mouth story. Not trying to spin this; it's clearly a huge disappointment for Lucasfilm, but it's not yet clear the film is an out and out bomb.

I'm sure the low BO numbers are a combination of a lot of things, but this makes repeat underperformers for SW. One more and that becomes a streak.

I think the sentiment slowly decreased in popularity, but I remember when this was initially announced and the majority of people were thinking, "Why Solo? Do something new and creative" and I think that was held onto throughout the release of the film. If they are already looking into what caused this dismal opening weekend I'm hopeful they'll try and change course. I still have some reservations, but its the first thing I've heard from their front office that gives me any hope that this franchise can be salvaged.

I'm sure the low BO numbers are a combination of a lot of things, but this makes repeat underperformers for SW. One more and that becomes a streak.

I think the sentiment slowly decreased in popularity, but I remember when this was initially announced and the majority of people were thinking, "Why Solo? Do something new and creative" and I think that was held onto throughout the release of the film. If they are already looking into what caused this dismal opening weekend I'm hopeful they'll try and change course. I still have some reservations, but its the first thing I've heard from their front office that gives me any hope that this franchise can be salvaged.

It has happened, but in only VERY rare cases that I have ever seen the BO numbers stay either on-par or above the first week. Typical I've always seen is a 50%+ drop into week 2... but you never know. I think the damage is done already and, like I said before, I don't know anyone who asked for this film to get made. I don't think it has a broad interest, and can easily wait for a home release.

Disney, I think it's time for some company cleaning up house.

Maybe this was mentioned and I missed it, but my friend and I were thinking how lame the fuel aspect was introduced in TLJ and here they tried to drive it home in solo as it being a thing, but what would you guys have them go after to make it valuable instead of "hyperfuel"? We both thought it was dumb considering there has been 6 movies spanning a lot of time in the franchise and there has never been any fuel mentioned EVER.

Maybe this was mentioned and I missed it, but my friend and I were thinking how lame the fuel aspect was introduced in TLJ and here they tried to drive it home in solo as it being a thing, but what would you guys have them go after to make it valuable instead of "hyperfuel"? We both thought it was dumb considering there has been 6 movies spanning a lot of time in the franchise and there has never been any fuel mentioned EVER.

Make up anything. Literally anything, and explain it away with pseudo-science.

Spacial Quantifiers
Negative Telegrates
Flux Capacitors
Target Rectifiers
Money not backed by the gold standard

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back