Using electronic packaging

mrcarkeys42

Ive been working on a small spaceship interior set and I've been using plastic packaging, usually from electronics, to make all the wall panels and details. What I was hoping to find out was whether or not it was possible to buy the packaging for a specific product on its own in bulk from the manufacturer. I have no idea how to go about this or if its even possible, so I was hoping someone here could give me a lead maybe.

I used to work at staples and collected a dozen or so packages from iPhone replacement screens/batteries, one seen below (with primer)

P1140316.JPG

These are great because they are very shallow and a bunch of them could make a repeating pattern to cover large areas. The problem is I only have a few, not the hundreds required to do what I want.

Now it doesn't need to be this specific packaging, but something similar would do nicely. Does anybody know if it is possible to buy packaging like this in bulk? Thank you for any help you can give!

If I was a packaging manufacturer and somebody came to me asking to buy a bulk amount of packaging for a specific product line, I would start wondering if they planned using it to sell counterfeit products.

Maybe scrounge packaging from bins or from friends and family? Maybe ebay?

Try googling component packaging, lots of assorted shapes and sizes come up.

Other options would be making molds and casting parts or even bucks for a small vac former.

Thanks, ill look into this!

- - - Updated - - -

If I was a packaging manufacturer and somebody came to me asking to buy a bulk amount of packaging for a specific product line, I would start wondering if they planned using it to sell counterfeit products.

Maybe scrounge packaging from bins or from friends and family? Maybe ebay?

hmmm good point, never thought of that

I could definitely get enough parts to cover my set from scrounging around and asking friends etc. the issue comes with uniformity. Spaceship walls and corridors tend to have repeating details, a sense of organization (even if there is some variation in the finer details) a hundred random pieces will feel like they have no rhyme or reason

I'm sure if you asked for the specific part of the packaging, the guys here will donate what they can. I do think the vac-form idea is going to be the cheapest overall.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back