Solo: A Star Wars Story

That claim sounds ‘ intriguing ‘ Seth ... kinda like ( sort of , maybe - but not exactly mind you ) ... how a persons ‘ SWIQ ‘ might be judged .
Purely out of curiosity ( and for fun ) , any chance you could tell me where i sit on this spectrum ?

:cheersGed

I can’t! Every time I post anythin g political (usually respoinding to somebody crying about how SJWs are ruining their lives) I get reported!

And I find it amazing how someone can openly admit that they hated the PT so much that they deliberately went on the internet to ruin the experience for others then post in the TLJ thread that they utterly detest fanboy crybabies assuming ownership and and agency over Star Wars.

Easy. Because when the PT came out I was a 20-something, fresh out of film school, chip on my shoulder having punk with a superiority complex. Now I am a 40-something, family man and a working TV and movie screenwriter who has had gotten his fair share of hatemail because I took risks with a beloved franchise character. I gained some perspective about how Hollywood works, how movies get made, and how screaming babies on the internet are not representative of anything.

Also, fandom has become infinitely worse in the almost 20 years since TPM came out thanks to social media giving everybody a voice with no requirements of empthy or respect, and a sense of community amongst as*holes to the point that they feel they have said agency and ownership of their chosen franchise. I don’t require anybody to share my opinion, but I also enjoy debating on why I think they are wrong. But when somebody starts to actively try to ruin other people’s joy, I don’t like it. I also don’t like absurd generalizations that are borderline hate speech or dragging politics into talk about Star Wars. So when I see that crap, I call it out.

So the short version is: I grew up.

But given that I disagree with most everything you say, I doubt you’ll find this answer satisfactory and will proceed to make random quotes or comebacks to try and make me seem like a hypocrite— of which I am not interested in responding to.

@SethS ,

O.K., that’s understandable- not wanting to be reported I mean . No probs mate .

However , the post that @CT1138 made at the top of this page , regarding how people are treated for ‘ defending ‘ these films can be applied to how those who’re in disagreement ( on various levels ) are also treated .
You’ve just used words from ‘ crying , screaming babies to a**holes ‘ . I’ve used similar maybe :facepalm , though mainly aimed at those directly responsible for these films .
Sometimes sharing / discussing subjects we’re passionate about ( politics inc ;)) can escalate into unintended / unrelated areas .

Guess what I’m trying to say , in a bloody clumsy way is that people in glass houses shouldn’t ... yada , yada ... yada !

So the short version is: I grew up.

But given that I disagree with most everything you say, I doubt you’ll find this answer satisfactory and will proceed to make random quotes or comebacks to try and make me seem like a hypocrite— of which I am not interested in responding to.

Have you really grown up or just got older I wonder and as far as trying to make you look like a hypocrite, your own words do that just fine without any addition from me.

@SethS ,

O.K., that’s understandable- not wanting to be reported I mean . No probs mate .

However , the post that @CT1138 made at the top of this page , regarding how people are treated for ‘ defending ‘ these films can be applied to how those who’re in disagreement ( on various levels ) are also treated .
You’ve just used words from ‘ crying , screaming babies to a**holes ‘ . I’ve used similar maybe :facepalm , though mainly aimed at those directly responsible for these films .
Sometimes sharing / discussing subjects we’re passionate about ( politics inc ;)) can escalate into unintended / unrelated areas .

Guess what I’m trying to say , in a bloody clumsy way is that people in glass houses shouldn’t ... yada , yada ... yada !

I honestly don't mind how people feel about SW movies one way or another! As I posted in the TLJ thread I'm pretty conflicted about it myself. I do enjoy a good debate. Like I said, my problem is pretty much always when somebody states their opinion as fact, or is endlessly trying to ruin things for other people. But you're right-- things get heated. I've lost my cool, and I generally try to apologize for it.

But some people just live to try and take you down no matter what you say. For example...

Have you really grown up or just got older I wonder and as far as trying to make you look like a hypocrite, your own words do that just fine without any addition from me.

I saw you post something the other day about how you've been at your job for a couple decades. That truly shocked me. Given your maturity level and style of posting, I legit thought you were like 16 this entire time. ::shrugs::

I saw you post something the other day about how you've been at your job for a couple decades. That truly shocked me. Given your maturity level and style of posting, I legit thought you were like 16 this entire time. ::shrugs::

Given that you said you were not going to respond and the manner that you did respond, I`m now convinced you never grew up, just older and more bitter.

Sheesh ! ... Some first world problems and these ‘ New - Star Wars ‘ films are so ... so ... so downright discombobulating !:lol

Given that you said you were not going to respond and the manner that you did respond, I`m now convinced you never grew up, just older and more bitter.

Bitter? Nah. Not at all. I'm pretty happy actually!

But what can I say? I AM human-- if somebody keeps trying to bully me and put me down, I'm going to return in kind. And that's 100% what you are, a bully. Your entire problem with me is centered on me calling you on this fact. When I tried to make peace with you, you got indignant and told me to put you on my ignore list. So you don't get to take the high ground on maturity.

Anyway, that said, I am mistaken. I didn't think you were 16 at first. Originally I thought you and The Wook were the same person given that the majority of your contributions to the RPF are liking his posts, or simply quoting him and saying YOU TELL 'EM BOSS!

Maaaybe I'm being a bit immature... But you know-- fight fire, with fire, and ire with ire. I'll stop now, and try not to contribute to the endless derailing. I'll put you back on ignore, and won't come back until I see Solo, and you can continue to make up things about me to feel superior about.

bitter? Nah. Not at all. I'm pretty happy actually!

But what can i say? I am human-- if somebody keeps trying to bully me and put me down, i'm going to return in kind. And that's 100% what you are, a bully. Your entire problem with me is centered on me calling you on this fact. When i tried to make peace with you, you got indignant and told me to put you on my ignore list. So you don't get to take the high ground on maturity.

Anyway, that said, i am mistaken. I didn't think you were 16 at first. Originally i thought you and the wook were the same person given that the majority of your contributions to the rpf are liking his posts, or simply quoting him and saying you tell 'em boss!

Maaaybe i'm being a bit immature... But you know-- fight fire, with fire, and ire with ire. I'll stop now, and try not to contribute to the endless derailing. I'll put you back on ignore, and won't come back until i see solo, and you can continue to make up things about me to feel superior about.

Leave Mr Webber alone!!!!

giphy.gif

Bitter? Nah. Not at all. I'm pretty happy actually!

But what can I say? I AM human-- if somebody keeps trying to bully me and put me down, I'm going to return in kind. And that's 100% what you are, a bully. Your entire problem with me is centered on me calling you on this fact. When I tried to make peace with you, you got indignant and told me to put you on my ignore list. So you don't get to take the high ground on maturity.

Anyway, that said, I am mistaken. I didn't think you were 16 at first. Originally I thought you and The Wook were the same person given that the majority of your contributions to the RPF are liking his posts, or simply quoting him and saying YOU TELL 'EM BOSS!

Maaaybe I'm being a bit immature... But you know-- fight fire, with fire, and ire with ire. I'll stop now, and try not to contribute to the endless derailing. I'll put you back on ignore, and won't come back until I see Solo, and you can continue to make up things about me to feel superior about.

You actually think I am being a bully to you, how incredibly lame. I simply called you out for labelling others as crybaby fanboys with a self entitlement to Star Wars after you admitted to being one of those same people before you "grew up." after you claimed being able to predict peoples political leanings just by their Star Wars comments. WOW. And why did you take me off ignore in the first place?

And please dont start sending me PM`s again, which by the way never mentioned anything about me being a bully to you or in any of our engagements in any thread. You saying my problem with you is because of you calling me out on that fact is a total and utter fabrication.
Your last post is the first time it has ever been mentioned. And i have never once quoted The Wook and said YOU TELL`EM BOSS, Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
you actually think i am being a bully to you, how incredibly lame. I simply called you out for labelling others as crybaby fanboys with a self entitlement to star wars after you admitted to being one of those same people before you "grew up." after you claimed being able to predict peoples political leanings just by their star wars comments. Wow. And why did you take me off ignore in the first place?

And please dont start sending me pm`s again, which by the way never mentioned anything about me being a bully to you or in any of our engagements in any thread. You saying my problem with you is because of you calling me out on that fact is a total and utter fabrication.
Your last post is the first time it has ever been mentioned. And i have never once quoted @the wook and said you tell`em boss, ever.

YOU TELL 'EM BOSS!

The Wook

Three pages of hurt feelings.

Haha, that sounds like the title of a Backstreet Boys album. :lol

Risking an on-topic comment here, I checked out some of the spoiler boxes and something got me thinking. That hyperfuel thing...my initial thought was the cynical approach "ah, they're implementing that to save face for the fuel business from TLJ". Just like the hyperspace tracking was hinted at in Rogue One...
Then I started to think, hang on a minute, isn't that franchise-building after all? I admittedly missed out 99% of the Marvel movies but what I know of it via osmosis is that this is pretty much what they're doing with Marvel and people seem to love it. It's strange how different reactions you get for the same process just because it's two different franchises. And not wanting to sound like a hypocrite, admittedly I did and still kinda do think that this fuel-business in general feels hamfisted in the SW world.
Bottom line, I'm still undecided as to wanting to see Solo in the cinema or not. Not out of hate or anything, I really wasn't interested in it since day 1 of its announcement. Maybe if I have really nothing to do one afternoon or if there are actual glowing audience reviews coming in.

Haha, that sounds like the title of a Backstreet Boys album. :lol

Risking an on-topic comment here, I checked out some of the spoiler boxes and something got me thinking. That hyperfuel thing...my initial thought was the cynical approach "ah, they're implementing that to save face for the fuel business from TLJ". Just like the hyperspace tracking was hinted at in Rogue One...
Then I started to think, hang on a minute, isn't that franchise-building after all? I admittedly missed out 99% of the Marvel movies but what I know of it via osmosis is that this is pretty much what they're doing with Marvel and people seem to love it. It's strange how different reactions you get for the same process just because it's two different franchises. And not wanting to sound like a hypocrite, admittedly I did and still kinda do think that this fuel-business in general feels hamfisted in the SW world.
Bottom line, I'm still undecided as to wanting to see Solo in the cinema or not. Not out of hate or anything, I really wasn't interested in it since day 1 of its announcement. Maybe if I have really nothing to do one afternoon or if there are actual glowing audience reviews coming in.

Agreed. I feel the same. I will probably make a judgement call based on reviews by fellow RPFers.
That character that makes a holographic appearance, may well be a set up for a Kenobi movie or even his own stand alone(?).
As for the TLJ fuel business, one word :- INERTIA?

Reader comment from the Vanity article.

"I have to penalize Star Wars for giving me The Last Jedi so I will just wait and see this for free on the plane."

I going to wait and buy Solo on DVD but man waiting for the airlines, no money, no viewer numbers,... that is cold.

Haha, that’s great.

I am still going to go see if it I can find the time.

There is a spoiler free review over on Rebelscum:

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Solo_A_Star_Wars_Story_SpoilerFree_Review_180829.asp

I've read some more spoiler filled reviews for Solo and I have to admit that not having Boba Fett or any of the other Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters in it is not only incredibly disappointing but also the missed opportunity of the entire millennium! Not to mention that it pisses me off greatly!! Vader doesn't even make a cameo in the movie! I'll still go and see it though.

@Mr Webber

So as not to continue to derail things, I’ll just put my response to you in a spoiler block, so it’s optional for everyone. I may start doing this with all my debates! Get my jibes in, and not be a tool that derails things!

You actually think I am being a bully to you, how incredibly lame. I simply called you out for labelling others as crybaby fanboys with a self entitlement to Star Wars after you admitted to being one of those same people before you "grew up." after you claimed being able to predict peoples political leanings just by their Star Wars comments. WOW. And why did you take me off ignore in the first place?

And please dont start sending me PM`s again, which by the way never mentioned anything about me being a bully to you or in any of our engagements in any thread. You saying my problem with you is because of you calling me out on that fact is a total and utter fabrication.
Your last post is the first time it has ever been mentioned. And i have never once quoted @The Wook and said YOU TELL`EM BOSS, Ever.

Good lord... the fact I have to explain myself so much to you... yeeesssh

1. Going into threads with the intent of derailing because you don’t like the person who started the topic = bullying. But I’m not crying about it, I’m just calling you on it.
2. When certain people (read: not ALL people) talk about SJWs and gay conmspiracies being behind the fact they don’t like a SW movie— yeah. I think it’s pretty clear which way their political flag flies.
3. I took you off ignore cause I saw you quoted me. If you knew I was ignoring you, why bother? Just to look like you were getting in a good jab?
4. If by “start sending” you mean like the two I sent you in attempt to make peace, okay, my bad... but I still might anyway
5. Go read the first page of the “what makes good Star Wars” thread. That’s where this started.
6. Clearly... obviously... to anyone with half a brain, I was not speaking literally with YOU TELL ‘EM BOSS. I mean come on. It’s representative of the cheerleading posts you have for the Wook. The fact you take that literally is telling me a lot as to why these arguements with you go nowhere.

All that said, I guess you’ve won this round, cause I said I was done and you drug me back in. I just couldn’t let it go— so again, maybe I am not as mature as I thought. But calling out hypocrisyt in myself for something I did 20 years in the past? If not maturity, it reflects some self-awareness and the ability to consider the words of others— which clearly isnt your jam.

ON TOPIC!

Solo tickets acquired for tomorrow night! Somehow I’ve managed to be spoiler free, which is maybe a first for me for a SW movie. Though somne of you suck at not-spoiling at I am aware of the possibility of a certain cameo. To which I say MEH!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back