Eric Stoltz Marty Mcfly Costume

Camturner26

Just wondering if anyone had any information on the original Mcfly costume worn by Eric Stoltz because Michael J Fox.

Not many photos exist online of him in it, so it's hard working with what's available.

Shoes: vintage 80s dark green Converse Chuck Taylor high-tops

Jeans: look to be black jeans, maybe from Levi's/unknown. Worn with a black belt.

Shirt: United States Patent Office Guitar t-shirt - brand unknown

Jacket: unknown/custom made?
Made from thick black and white woven plaid wool. With snaps and zips.

Shirt: dark blue plaid - brand unknown

Any thoughts on this. Does anyone else know something!
Would love to hear from you guys.
a7831a2501559ff4a423afab6bfea772.jpg
9754f9d968efc87a9ee2692fcd55da09.jpg
516d132c607aa9fa5d680c1bb9580d9d.jpg
72d0a854240a7db10abf3a2289b80950.jpg
8f83293a4dad3f69e874b35338e523b8.jpg
90ae4656ab502466726ee7f97c6c0b9f.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Searching for "Gibson Les Paul patent shirt" yields many results for similar shirts based on that same patent image, although at a quick search I couldn't find that exact variant. Worst case there are similar options available though, or you could grab the original patent image from somewhere and make your own custom design. Depends on how much effort you want to go to.
Pretty cool shirt. Would have been cool to see MJF wear it too.

Searching for "Gibson Les Paul patent shirt" yields many results for similar shirts based on that same patent image, although at a quick search I couldn't find that exact variant. Worst case there are similar options available though, or you could grab the original patent image from somewhere and make your own custom design. Depends on how much effort you want to go to.
Pretty cool shirt. Would have been cool to see MJF wear it too.
Ah so cool man, thanks for the lead.

I found a match to the original image, without the upper text, nothing 100% yet.

Indy said if there was enough interest he'd make a run of them, which would have been great, but not enough people were interested. Part of the reason I think this costume is so forgotten and pushed aside.
bba064e6c57eaf1b2736e48d44319874.jpg

There's a few good shots or Eric in the Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History book.

All the photos are really high quality, some you can see in detail and pattern in the jacket and the blue plaid shirt.

The shirt has an interesting zig zag pattern within the plaid. Someone may be able to use this and the colour to recreate this pattern. I know spoonflower prints custom designs.

d5065a3d03f04094564d85fc8b1e1bd5.jpg
ccdbce4cbbf071e2929663a11af27a23.jpg
27b0fbd21b642860efd0a76e0ae91758.jpg

That's a really unusual getup, it's a lot less iconic obviously but it also looks like something that would be worn today. I can't imagine a kid from the 80s wearing any of that and Eric Stoltz looks about 26 rather than 17.

That's a really unusual getup, it's a lot less iconic obviously but it also looks like something that would be worn today. I can't imagine a kid from the 80s wearing any of that and Eric Stoltz looks about 26 rather than 17.
Yeah, that's part of the reason MJF was in a totally new costume. The directors said Eric's costume didn't look much out of place in the 50s. Jokes like the life preserve couldn't be used.

MJF was actually supposed to wear Erics green Converse as part of his costume, but costume designer Deborah L. Scott forgot to bring them to the fitting. Fox had arrived in his own pair of bruins when Robert Zemeckis told him to "Just wear those"

Are the converse shoes green? I thought that they were black on Eric. When Michael finally wears a pair of cons in the 50s they're black in any case.

I like the idea of him arriving on set with his own pair of Bruins, that's what we've been told. They must have had him hand them over to meticulously remove the tag and rear labelling, which isn't a lighting fast process or so I'm lead to believe.

I want the story of Doc's Vandals since they're seen in those Eric "I was in Pulp Fiction at least" Stoltz photos.

Yeah the shoes are green. The ones worn in the 50s are a different pair.

The bruins were out of production so the costume department had to have them made specifically. 10 pairs were made for the first film.

Edit: 25 pairs were made

Last edited:
Can you show me a colour picture of Eric Stoltz' Green Converse? I wouldn't mind seeing what they're like.

It would be nice to know the source of your information if possible, I'm doing a project on iconic shoes in film. The costume Eric wears is kind of cool, shoulder pads are a little firm maybe but I like it. The shirt is quite cool.

That's some great research you've got going there.

Can you show me a colour picture of Eric Stoltz' Green Converse? I wouldn't mind seeing what they're like.

It would be nice to know the source of your information if possible, I'm doing a project on iconic shoes in film. The costume Eric wears is kind of cool, shoulder pads are a little firm maybe but I like it. The shirt is quite cool.

That's some great research you've got going there.
As far as coloured pictures go you may be out of luck. A lot of the coloured photos are of his top half and don't show anything below the belt.

Although it is known and stated that he wore dark green. Dark enough to appear black on screen so that gives some clue to the shade.

These are my best bet. The darker of the two are a newer pair made a few years ago and the lighter pair are a genuine vintage pair from the mid to late 70s.

As for the information, try BTTF a visual guide. It has a lot of information about pretty much everything. Even mentions the green Converse but nothing more about Eric's costume.

f1bc2c873b8ef5901472a8cc593c5f40.jpg
d4feb7afd2f5f1315737c444d146de22.jpg
8b4ecbd3270e19ab32795fade63c4eca.jpg
a808f80f2557c8b1a4fa4fbcf388b45e.jpg
5bccc68aa05943291f081d80830c0527.jpg
816955dcdb23967b60dae4207fdc2fb2.jpg

Last edited:
As far as coloured pictures go you may be out of luck. A lot of the coloured photos are of his top half and don't show anything below the belt.

Although it is known and stated that he wore dark green. Dark enough to appear black on screen so that gives some clue to the shade.

These are my best bet. The darker of the two are a newer pair made a few years ago and the lighter pair are a genuine vintage pair from the mid to late 70s.

As for the information, try BTTF a visual guide. It has a lot of information about pretty much everything. Even mentions the green Converse but nothing more about Eric's costume.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/f1bc2c873b8ef5901472a8cc593c5f40.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/d4feb7afd2f5f1315737c444d146de22.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/8b4ecbd3270e19ab32795fade63c4eca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/a808f80f2557c8b1a4fa4fbcf388b45e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/5bccc68aa05943291f081d80830c0527.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/816955dcdb23967b60dae4207fdc2fb2.jpg

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. It would be interesting to say the least to see what Back to the Future was first before they got ahold of Michael. I think I get the fan obsession of wanting to see all of that.

It's a simple black print on a white t-shirt. Any print on demand service can do that. You just need the graphic. Seems to be a job for me. :D

It's a simple black print on a white t-shirt. Any print on demand service can do that. You just need the graphic. Seems to be a job for me. :D

All you need to do is pull the graphics from the original patent file and then remake the heading in the same font and wording as other patent one-sheets you can find one google image search. It's a pretty easy job which you should be able to knock out in less than an hour, I imagine. If you need help sourcing the graphics and info, shoot me an e-mail and I can send you what I've got.

All you need to do is pull the graphics from the original patent file and then remake the heading in the same font and wording as other patent one-sheets you can find one google image search. It's a pretty easy job which you should be able to knock out in less than an hour, I imagine. If you need help sourcing the graphics and info, shoot me an e-mail and I can send you what I've got.

Thanks for your offer. :)

I already found the 4-page patent document. You can find almost the full shirt graphic and text there (just the used font on the shirt is different and the outer lines of the guitar drawings are thicker, but that's no problem).

I just can't identify, what this bottom part is. It's not from the patent document.

attachment.php

Attachments

• patentshirt.png
    patentshirt.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 3,706
yup yup. I would be in line to buy a limited edition special blue ray "ERIC STOLTZ" version yesterday :popcorn

It won't ever get released. Legal redtape, Eric Stoltz. What are you gonna do. There's photos at least. It's a bit of a tease that we only got to see a small amount with no dialogue. It had a different tone, and what if that tone is interesting, maybe not Back to the Futureish but whatever. Variety is the spice of life.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back