Luke Ceremony Jacket..

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So after contemplating this build for some time now, I think in finally gonna give it a go! Luke's ceremony jacket as seen at the end of ANH.
6854ba99f39d84437bc3d20c8b617157.jpg

My only problem is, what is the best way to dye the leather yellow? Especially that SHADE of yellow. Its kind of a John deer yellow color.

Any suggestions from leather workers or other prop makers on how to dye the leather that color yellow?

You might be able to find yellow leather - have you looked at Tandy? I visited their store and they had an unbelievable amount of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be able to find yellow leather - have you looked at Tandy? I visited their store and they had an unbelievable amount of stuff.

6ed6437417ad27f55b18be52246c4036.jpg

This is what is as considering getting from Tandy but it doesn't look bright enough:(. Maybe they make a brightening liquid? To make it shine?

I haven't ever died leather yellow before. I did try some brown but found it to be inconsistent in color. I'd probably make the coat out of cheap material to make patterns then transfer to a nice leather that's already the right color. The color of the jacket reminds me of WW 2 paratrooper gloves - same color. I wonder how they made those.

8d509898b9bb32bbdd5f1e3392e3f1c5.jpg

Eh... What yellow leather? Luke's ceremonial jacket is made of fabric, probably nylon.
Or is your intent to make a leather version of the jacket for personal use, not costuming?
Wanting to make a personal leather jacket rather than the nylon. I havnt had much experience working with garment leather, and wanted to make a leather jacket and Luke's was what popped into my head first. Will most likely make a nylon one at a later period of time.

wasn't his jacket a found part? wasn't it a modified motor cycle racing jacket? just like greedo and bossk? i could be entirely wrong but i thought it was a found piece... i thought i saw someone post the actually jacket and it was red and white

have i lost my mind? lol :darnkids

wasn't his jacket a found part? wasn't it a modified motor cycle racing jacket? just like greedo and bossk? i could be entirely wrong but i thought it was a found piece... i thought i saw someone post the actually jacket and it was red and white

I thought it was too. Will do some more research on this...

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I thought it was too. Will do some more research on this...

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

dude im hunting now too, the jacket im pretty sure i saw was red with white down the arms. maybe the jackets were fabricated with this jacket in mind? still hunting

Yep. Ponda Baba had the same one. The same type of jacket was also seen in an episode or two of Space:1999.

Wanting to make a personal leather jacket rather than the nylon.
OK then. :) I have considered making one myself but in other colours; specifically with white ribs on the arms.
Leather might require a special sewing machine though. In my case, I think the local maker space had one that was suitable.

Last edited:
Yep. Ponda Baba had the same one. The same type of jacket was also seen in an episode or two of Space:1999.

OK then. :) I have considered making one myself but in other colours; specifically with white ribs on the arms.
Leather might require a special sewing machine though. In my case, I think one at the local maker space is suitable.
I have a singer sewing machine and it works fine. You just have to get a walking foot for your machine and a good sharp leather needle. Walking feet just make the leather glide through like it's butter. It's great.

Whatever it was... It looks like it was used as the snowspeeder pilot jacket in ESB as well...
It wasn't. There are lots of subtle differences, but the style and pattern was definitely inspired by the ceremonial jacket.
I have made the snowspeeder pilot jacket for myself and then this tutorial for the Rebel Legion wherein I explain why I interpreted the details in certain ways.

It wasn't. There are lots of subtle differences, but the style and pattern was definitely inspired by the ceremonial jacket.
I have made the snowspeeder pilot jacket for myself and then this tutorial for the Rebel Legion wherein I explain why I interpreted the details in certain ways.
Awsome Tutorial! Will use that to make mine later on.

From what has been said, all the added details on the jacket are to cover things.

The tan edging is used to had the zipper, and top tab and snap. The side edging covers the side pockets. The breast pocket is actually a snap flap pocket. The pocket was tucked inside and the multi lines strip (similar to Han's blood stripe) covers the snap the flap would fasten to.

My dream personal custom prop was to have a leather version of this jacket but in brown leather and custom Star Wars related flight patches. Basically Top Gun meets Star Wars. However since that time there have been the creation of the Poe/Finn jacket and Cassian jacket that sort of cuts into the concept.

Good luck with your leather jacket.

Last edited:
From what has been said, all the added details on the jacket are to cover things.

The tan edging is used to had the zipper, and top tab and snap. The side aging covers the side pockets. The breast pocket is actually a snap flap pocket. The pocket was tucked inside and the multi lines strip (similar to Han's blood stripe_ covers the snap the flap would fasten to.

My dream personal custom prop was to have a leather version of this jacket but in brown leather and custom Star Wars related flight patches. Basically Top Gun meets Star Wars. However since that time there have been the creation of the Poe/Finn jacket and Cassian jacket that sort of cuts into the concept.

Good luck with your leather jacket.

i knew i wasn't going insane!! thanks MJF!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back