How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

This is what you said:

Then when pressed to backup that statement, you changed your story.

Anyway, I hope Luke doesn't ever use a lightsaber in these movies. Beyond looking silly for someone in Hamill's shape to do so, I think it would be better storywise to show that Luke has moved beyond needing a lightsaber to settle things.

Ok I guess I need to spell it out.

Ridire Firean said:
Yoda's speech meant 'teach Leia'. And that's it. I've known that since I was 8 years old.

He put some significance to knowing the real meaning when he was 8, like that makes it fact. So I said:

I don't know what movie you saw then. I saw ROTJ when I was 6 in 1983 and know he meant rebuild the Jedi. See that latter proves nothing because none of us are George Lucas.

I don't know how you don't know what the means. No dodging or anything.

Correct. In 1980 we learned that:

Obi-Wan Kenobi "That boy is our last hope."

Yoda "No. There is another."

Another, not several, not an endless supply of other beings that can summon the Force, a singular person in which hope could be found if Luke failed.

I'd totally agree, except the Rebels tv show, which is now canon thanks to Disney, proves that's false. And again Lucas has said that the Jedi are not the only Force users in the galaxy. Yoda and Obi Wan assume that Luke or Leia are the only ones who can save everyone. If Luke and Leia are the ONLY Force users in the galaxy, as you believe, then who are these Whills that Qui Gon learned the disappearing act from? Maybe I missed it, but Order 66 only targeted JEDI not other Force users. Oh and none of that "Oh I don't believe in the Prequels, and Disney stuff" because if we're going by canon, those are all canon. Oh or the good ole "George Lucas just makes stuff up! I don't listen to him." Like it or not he created the whole thing.

...I'd totally agree, except the Rebels tv show...

I think this is where we're getting our wires crossed, Sluis.
We're talking about what our impressions were in 1983.
You're talking about everything you know now and applying it to what little we knew in 1983.
We're just trying to say that in 1983 (pre prequels, pre EU, pre Clone Wars) none of us considered the possibility of a "Jedi Academy", because those words were never spoken.
By the end of ROTJ there was one Jedi - Luke - and one potential Jedi - Leia. That's all we were left with.
Everything else came after 1983 and retconned what we already/thought we knew.

You can't retcon what was never concrete canon in the first place.
reece.JPG

Obi-wan: For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.

Saying Luke was their last hope, to me, meant their last hope of a remaining Force-sensitive individual with the Force ability and training to defeat Vader and restore order to the Republic. I always assumed that this newfound order would result in the eventual restoration of the Jedi as the guardians once again.

To claim that it is canon that Lucas didn't think Luke's victory would result in the eventual restoration of the Jedi, simply because it wasn't explicitly stated, and because your 10-year-old self didn't think think it was implied, is a stretch.

I guess I'd be disappointed if he never wields his lightsaber in this movie, but I don't think it would ruin the movie/be a deal-breaker for me.

As for not seeing the lightsaber in any promos/toys... I might be very off-base here, but does anyone think the walking stick might be/ be hiding his lightsaber? The eye on that thing looks suspiciously like a button.

To claim that it is canon that Lucas didn't think Luke's victory would result in the eventual restoration of the Jedi, simply because it wasn't explicitly stated, and because your 10-year-old self didn't think think it was implied, is a stretch.

Not stated, not implied, but somehow we were all supposed to know it anyway?
I think it's a stretch that you claim to have had that knowledge as a child when literally no one else did in 1983.

I think it's a stretch that you claim to have had that knowledge as a child when literally no one else did in 1983.

I'm assume that's pointing to me even though everyone missed that someone else made the claim of knowledge in 1983 before I pointed it out as not being proof of anything. As my last post showed.

Let's just agree to disagree then.

If we all want to get super technical in ESB when yoda states

"No... there is another"

Lucas and Kurtz are referring to Luke's twin sister (not leia, she wasnt Luke's sister at this time with Kurtz and Lucas) who is already a Jedi knight and hiding in the galaxy... Luke was going to learn of the Jedi knight twin sister of his in the 3rd film and head out to find her in the 4th film

Ok ok everyone stop throwing stones at me! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you weren't supposed to know it. I'm just offering it as a possibility, and the impression that I personally had (that the Empire was responsible for the downfall of the Jedi, and that if Luke could end this tyranny his instructions to pass on what he had learned would eventually extend beyond just his sister.)

But if others had a different impression, no worries. My point is that NEITHER impression from 1983 can be considered canon.

Last edited:
I love the lightsaber but I would be ok if Luke never got into a duel with one in the next two movies. I think if he does any fighting it would make sense for him to show off some crazy Force powers rather than wield an physical weapon. Though the lightsaber enthusiast in me really would love to see him ignite his old saber one last time when Rey hands it to him. Have him just light it up and look at it for a brief moment would be so amazing to see. Like Arthur being reunited with the long lost Excalibur.

Yes indeed! It's hard to forget the deafening sound of CANON!

Wait. Sorry. That's not spelled the same. That would be cannon. ;)

All kidding aside, I have no idea what you're talking about, nor whether that's an endorsement:love, a joke:lol, or a dig:angry.

Mostly it's just absurdity on my part, sparked by your use of the phrase "I learned the truth at age 8." That made me think of the reference, so I posted it. And....that was pretty much the whole point.

In terms of the actual substance, I think someone else (I forget who) explained it above. In 1983, the interpretation of "There's Luke, Leia, and...that's all we know as far as who can use the Force goes." I thought of it (at age 5 or so) as including them specifically, but that there could be others who could learn to use the Force, so I never took the language to be limiting (i.e., only Luke and Leia can use it), just that Luke and Leia were the only two we knew could use the Force.

It's a moot point at this point, though, since there's ample stuff now included in canon that suggests other people -- both potential Jedi and other Force users -- can use the Force aside from just trained Jedi and Sith.

I'd rather see him as a powerful force user. Seeing him use a lightsaber would be OK, but I think it would show his force abilities way more if he didn't need a lightsaber and simply relied on his force powers.

Leave the sword play to the young and dumb. Make the older jedi masters like yoda.

Mostly it's just absurdity on my part

Got it. Cool beans! :thumbsup

Not having the Disney Channel that shows the cartoons, and not knowing much about them...

I would like to point out that as far as the movies go: what we have learned so far from the movies holds true as far as Luke and Leia and their offspring being the only Force Users in the current timeline. Depending on whether or not Rey is Luke or Leia's daughter and whether or not Snoke is a Force User or just a disfigured bad-guy, that truth may or may not change going forward from Episode VIII/IX. Maz throws a bit of Force Sensitive (or at least Force Aware) back into the timeline there in Episode VII; which I'm cool with because she wouldn't have been sought out by The Emperor and Vader as a true threat to them, and it doesn't alter the fact that Luke and Leia are the only hope for the Jedi Order being rebuilt. As far as the movies go.

I very much wish all of it would fit together. Books, movies, cartoons, Holiday Specials, you name it. It would be better as a whole if it was all part of one amazing story. And that was George Lucas' responsibility since it is his story that started it all. The only thing I never liked about the Prequels was the Padawan-Hairbraid-dangly-things haircuts. Not that the Prequels were perfect beyond that, just that that's the only thing that totally bothers me because I think they look ridiculous. I wish he hadn't O.K.'d that part.

I want to see a Jedi Master (Luke) show the world how it's done. If Mark Hamill can pull it off that is. I think back on all the Kung-Fu movies with Grand Master Fu whoopin' up on all the upstarts and bad-guys and looking totally awesome stroking their long white beards and would love to see that level of competence in Master Luke's sword skills. I don't want him to be shooting lightning bolts out of his fingertips, because we've seen what toll that takes on the body, but some massive Force-Lifting, Throwing, Crushing, etc. would be very cool as well.

Here's to hoping that Force-Ghost Obi-Wan and Yoda never told Luke that the Padawans in the New Jedi Academy should have those dangly-hairbraid-thingys and that they don't make Rey wear one in VIII and IX! Or maybe she'll don one on her own and Luke will say "Oh no. That won't do." And reveal and ignite his green lightsaber and lop it off for her! ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back