Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Exactly. I wasn't allowed to see RotS when it came out because I was too young (my parent's had a strict "no PG-13 movies until you're 13" rule) , but now that I'm older, it's my favorite of the prequels because of how dark and mature it is.

When you dig deeper, Star Wars isn't all sunshine and rainbows all the time. Luke did kill 369,740 people when he blew up the Death Star you know. Sure, they were bad space Nazis, but that's a lot of people!! That's waaaay more than Vader ever killed on screen.

Well, there was that whole Alderaan thing.

What about when your son grows up and wants a badass Star Wars film? Or, let him watch it and not think too much about it? Hell, I saw the original Total Recall, Robocop, and Predator when I was 8 years old. Kind of tired of the "waahh my kids wahhh" argument. Not everyone has kids ya know. Im with @Thain on that for sure.

I'm sorry you outgrew Star Wars, but it doesn't have to change because you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

I never said it had to be an R rated war film. Star Wars could never get as graphic as something like Saving Private Ryan, it just wouldn't fit and we all know Disney would never allow that. The only blood or gore we ever see is when Ponda Baba's loses his arm and Padme's back is scratched. BUT, we watched Anakin lose 3 limbs/burn to near death and Padme die in child birth in Revenge of the Sith...that's pretty damn dark. Frankly, I think that's much darker than Rebel grunts and Stormtroopers being slaughtered on the battlefield by blaster bolts that don't seem to do any damage other than burning clothes and armor.

A war film doesn't imply it has to be full of R-rated Mel Gibson-styled violence.

All I'm saying is I'd prefer if Lucasfilm got more experimental with style, tone, and genres in future movies.

It was rated PG-13 so I'm not clear what you are suggesting they should have done to ramp up the violence further while not moving to an R?

- - - Updated - - -

What about when your son grows up and wants a badass Star Wars film? Or, let him watch it and not think too much about it? Hell, I saw the original Total Recall, Robocop, and Predator when I was 8 years old. Kind of tired of the "waahh my kids wahhh" argument. Not everyone has kids ya know. Im with @Thain on that for sure.

Since 1977 it's been a film series meant for all ages, that's the precedent set and I personally feel should be adhered to. As an adult he can share it with his own children. And this is entirely an academic discussion. Disney is never going to make a niche SW film directed towards a mature audience exclusively.

Clint Howard was on the Adam Carolla podcast last week and briefly discussed his brothers involvement with this film. He said Ron told him that George himself recommended him to KK. He claimed that GL told Ron he suggested they should have hired him from the start. I doubt Clint would fabricate that story but I wonder if GL recommended Ron for this film or had previously suggested Ron to LF for other projects.

I'm sorry you outgrew Star Wars, but it doesn't have to change because you did.
I kind of think it does though. At least in the way Disney wants to do it in the long haul. The marvel universe is a prime example of what Im getting at, and what Thain mentioned. Their movies arent "super hero movies" there are spy thrillers, fantasy, and heist flicks, starring super heroes. Im not saying do exactly what Marvel is doing, but Im saying it can be done. Im also not saying to have horrible blood and gore and all kinds of swear words, but I think they could push some envelopes a little more. What war have you ever seen that didnt have casualties? Darth Vaders scene at the end of R1 is what Im talking about, but with the narrative, I think there could be some deeper digging.
@Bryancd Ehhhh that could be contested. I think it was meant for all ages with ROTJ, there are some heavy handed philosophical elements in ESB, do you not remeber uncle owens and aunt berus charred corpses? The murder of billions on an entire planet? Panda Babas maiming? Keep in mind this was before a PG-13 rating was even around. Hell, the first Star Wars might be the most gruesome of all! ;) I also think parents in 1977 werent... how should I say this...as big of sissies as they are now.

I kind of think it does though. At least in the way Disney wants to do it in the long haul. The marvel universe is a prime example of what Im getting at, and what Thain mentioned. Their movies arent "super hero movies" there are spy thrillers, fantasy, and heist flicks, starring super heroes. Im not saying do exactly what Marvel is doing, but Im saying it can be done. Im also not saying to have horrible blood and gore and all kinds of swear words, but I think they could push some envelopes a little more. What war have you ever seen that didnt have casualties? Darth Vaders scene at the end of R1 is what Im talking about, but with the narrative, I think there could be some deeper digging.
@Bryancd Ehhhh that could be contested. I think it was meant for all ages with ROTJ, there are some heavy handed philosophical elements in ESB, do you not remeber uncle owens and aunt berus charred corpses? The murder of billions on an entire planet? Panda Babas maiming? Keep in mind this was before a PG-13 rating was even around. Hell, the first Star Wars might be the most gruesome of all! ;) I also think parents in 1977 werent... how should I say this...as big of sissies as they are now.

All true but George himself has been consistent in asserting the franchise is for kids, one of the few things he has been consistent about. And what you are describing are different genres not tone or violence specifically when you cite Marvel. I agree that is an opportunity they can explore and likely will. It's still not clear what happened between what Lord and Miller shot vs. what Kasdan wanted so the jury is still out if this was a situation where an attempt was made to make a more comedic film that was resisted by management or just that Kasdan didn't want his vision altered.

All true but George himself has been consistent in asserting the franchise is for kids, one of the few things he has been consistent about. And what you are describing are different genres not tone or violence specifically when you cite Marvel. I agree that is an opportunity they can explore and likely will. It's still not clear what happened between what Lord and Miller shot vs. what Kasdan wanted so the jury is still out if this was a situation where an attempt was made to make a more comedic film that was resisted by management or just that Kasdan didn't want his vision altered.
Good points, but ol uncle george isnt steering the ship anymore. Who knows, maybe towards the end when the Star Wars well has run dry, they might try something different. But I totally agree with your last sentiment about Kasdan. I would put my money on a bit of both.

It was rated PG-13 so I'm not clear what you are suggesting they should have done to ramp up the violence further while not moving to an R?

- - - Updated - - -

Since 1977 it's been a film series meant for all ages, that's the precedent set and I personally feel should be adhered to. As an adult he can share it with his own children. And this is entirely an academic discussion. Disney is never going to make a niche SW film directed towards a mature audience exclusively.

You're missing the point. I never said I wanted Rogue One to ramp up the violence past a PG-13 rating. I said that I would have greatly preferred it being an actual genre war film like they originally intended. It's not a war film. Maybe the third act is, but the film as a whole is not.

You're missing the point. I never said I wanted Rogue One to ramp up the violence past a PG-13 rating. I said that I would have greatly preferred it being an actual genre war film like they originally intended. It's not a war film. Maybe the third act is, but the film as a whole is not.

Well yes the final act is a "war" but the entirety of the film has frequent violence and dark themes including a cold blooded execution, terrorist attacks with a child in peril, a torture scene (Ifound Bor Gulut very disturbing), the death of a father in his daughters arms, an entire city destroyed, and the death of every main character. For a film franchise that is a genre into itself, I would say R1 was clearly outside of the box of the saga films to date.
Objectively the film was dark for the franchise, how dark or gritty is subjective depending on the person.

Last edited:

Just an aside...

I HATE that guys vest. It looks like a life jacket... maybe it was...

A life jacket with cracked paint from being in the water to much.

And Frakdammit just SMILE ALREADY!

If this Han movie is 90 minutes of smirking, I'll be happy. I can't watch another movie of people scowling through a Star Wars adventure.

Just an aside...

I HATE that guys vest. It looks like a life jacket... maybe it was...

A life jacket with cracked paint from being in the water to much.

And Frakdammit just SMILE ALREADY!

If this Han movie is 90 minutes of smirking, I'll be happy. I can't watch another movie of people scowling through a Star Wars adventure.

1309140_original.jpg

*dammit*

- - - Updated - - -
DEPC_qnUwAAS2lP.jpg

COUNTER ATTACK!

I get to play with Luke and Han, here, you can have "Miserable McScowlface"

Back on topic...

Hey how about Donald Glover!

Let's be real here, all problems (maybe) aside...

920x920.jpglando4.jpg

Donald Glover is a jack of all awesome trades.

Last edited:

*dammit*

- - - Updated - - -
View attachment 742583

COUNTER ATTACK!

I get to play with Luke and Han, here, you can have "Miserable McScowlface"

Back on topic...

Hey how about Donald Glover!

Let's be real here, all problems (maybe) aside...

View attachment 742585View attachment 742584

Donald Glover is a jack of all awesome trades.

I just saw Spiderman Homecoming last Thursday and didn't know Donald Glover was in it till the credits. Had to think back to what scene and role he was in and realized he was the ex Con Spidey webbed to the bumper and went full interogation mode, LOL.

BTW, stay for the 2 credits scenes in Spidey.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back