Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Wait...
Calling men from China "China Men" is wrong?
What should I call men from China that won't hurt their Chinese man-feelings?
Is that even racial? I thought China was a country...
Usually I'm on your side, JLee, but...
WTF, man?

So, yeah, although the compound usage of "Frenchman" for example isn't considered offensive, "Chinaman" has a pretty long history of being used as a racial slur.

E.g.:
JOHN-CHINAMAN.jpg

Although I might be doxxing myself, it's kind of personal to me (the Lee in jlee came from somewhere), because my grandfathers were both subject to anti-Asian racism. One side of the family spent the war locked up in a horse stall in the middle of the desert, just like George Takei and his family (see, there's a Trek tie in!). And after enduring decades of prejudice before the war, my paternal grandfather found himself in the care of a Japanese American business. Because of the prevailing racism against the Japanese at the time, he hung this sign in the window:

So yeah, it's a bit personal to me. I used to frequent the Fender guitars discussion page and folks would always talk about their "Jap" guitars, and I get that for most it's just a convenient truncation of "anese," but that's still a slur too. Plus, it just made more sense to call them MIJ because MIM and MIA were already understood to mean "made in Mexico" or "Made in America."

But I digress...I swear I don't mean to launch into these tangents.

If the main beef of the movie is that Han is not acting like the Han we know, well isn't that kind of the whole point of this film? To see how the young man we don'y know became the man that we do?

This would be like if Batman begins, just had the young Bruce acting like Batman the whole time, rather than gradually becoming him through the course of the film, or like in the reboot star trek, how Kirk as not the version we knew, but gradually became more like him.

Is this a Han origin story, or just a fully formed Han story with the exact same character we already knew?

Han Solo's origin story - before we meet him in the cantina, he didn't exist. Anything more is only going to damage the character we already know and love. :(

It very well could. Or not, that's the challenge presented to the filmmakers to tell this story. We just don't know yet.

I wish they weren't making this movie too. What happens I guess when money takes over to squeeze every penny from a franchise. Better to have been a side story, or something historical from the SW Universe, or a side to what were getting now - how about something with Kylo Ren and his knights (or whatever they are)?

True. True. But there was no story until someone decided they way to go was to make up origins for favourite characters that are already fully formed.
LFL are trying to second guess what fans want and I don't think it's a very creative way to proceed but I want to be wrong.

True. True. But there was no story until someone decided they way to go was to make up origins for favourite characters that are already fully formed.
LFL are trying to second guess what fans want and I don't think it's a very creative way to proceed but I want to be wrong.

I'm not sure if you could even get a simple plurality of concesnsus on what fans want if you asked a room full of them. :) Instead of catering to fan expectations my sense is LucasFilm looks at their IP and ask what would make for a compelling story and allow their creative team to pitch ideas. This one resonated enough to pass muster by people who care deeply about these characters. That sometimes gets lost in the complaints that all they care about is financial return. The people at LucasFilm cherish this franchise and are not looking to ruin it.

Apparently it doesn't sound as if there will be massively extensive reshooting of the film at this point in time . The immediate intention seems to be to remove the scenes with the more "extreme" deviations from the original scripted scenes and lines ,finish it and then review the first rough cut of the movie with the newly replaced footage, so its closer to what Kasdan originally wrote. THEN I imagine the need for additional scenes and reshoots will take place as per normal to complete the movie, though I guess this might be a bit more than usual. Personally, I volunteer to give very honest feedback on that first rough cut. And if Lucasfilm were clever enough and brave enough, Bryancd and the Wook could come along ,so we get a diverse range of opinions from both ends of the spectrum to stike a reasonable balance, though I imagine they may have to tranquilize the Wook after that first viewing and moderately sedate him for the rest.

Apparently it doesn't sound as if there will be massively extensive reshooting of the film at this point in time . The immediate intention seems to be to remove the scenes with the more "extreme" deviations from the original scripted scenes and lines ,finish it and then review the first rough cut of the movie with the newly replaced footage, so its closer to what Kasdan originally wrote. THEN I imagine the need for additional scenes and reshoots will take place as per normal to complete the movie, though I guess this might be a bit more than usual. Personally, I volunteer to give very honest feedback on that first rough cut. And if Lucasfilm were clever enough and brave enough, Bryancd and the Wook could come along ,so we get a diverse range of opinions from both ends of the spectrum to stike a reasonable balance, though I imagine they may have to tranquilize the Wook after that first viewing and moderately sedate him for the rest.

It's not wise to upset a Wookiee..and I cherish my arms location within their sockets.

- - - Updated - - -

People who brag about having a high IQ often are lying and really lack ...

“People who boast about their I.Q. are losers.” - Stephen Hawking

:D:lol

You buried the lead!

"Why socially isolated loners often brag about their IQ scores"[/h]

Han Solo's origin story - before we meet him in the cantina, he didn't exist. Anything more is only going to damage the character we already know and love. :(

As somebody who gets hatemail daily for writing a prequel to a beloved franchise character well before the movie has come out, I can tell you this-- it is possible for true fans to work on these stories and deliver them with love and care. Han in ANH was great-- but pretty one-note until his no-brainer return at the end. It was ESB that gave us all the nuances of a guy who was conflicted between his life of adventure, and his undeniable ability to be a responsible leader. Lawrence Kasdan gave us that, so I trust he's not going to crap all over his own legacy.

I mean sure, Lucas may have done that with the PT, but I don't think Kasdan would.

[ Basically, what it boils down to, is ,we judge others to have a high SWIQ if they tend to agree with us, and to have a lower SWIQ if they tend to disagree with us. Nothing surprising--that's human nature.

Although I disagree with him, The Wook is talking about some interesting things here.

When it comes to movies, we're talking about art — commercial art, but still art. If we all agree that lots of things determine an informed opinion about art: when the person was born, where they born, gender, ethnic and economic factors, the variety of different cultural concepts they were exposed to over the years, etc.... then it might be folly to believe you can truly measure aesthetic values with a pie cart or any sort of IQ test. Like the old saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

Even when you sample of a group of people who all grew up under the same circumstances, you'll still find a mix of opinions when it comes to what they consider to be good or bad art because of the many subjective variables involved (like maybe music you love that your friends hate).

And not to get all Kumbaya here, but conversations like these are one of the reasons I love hanging out at the RPF. There's not much point in gathering here to swap ideas if we don't spend a little time figuring out how we all arrived at those ideas.

Now, somebody go ahead and rip the metaphorical arm out of my socket. And sorry to derail.

While I LOVE TFA (not remotely shy about it) it was clear from Rogue One that this Star Wars universe will get stale fast if Star Wars doesn't take a few chances.

Making Star Wars less fun, I think, was a bad move. I hated Rogue One.

With the exception of MTV cancelling Clone High because the Gandhi character got a few people upset, Lord and Miller have been left to do their thing... and every time, it's been a fun, entertaining final product.

And while it wasn't Miller and Lord, I loved Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2... would it be so bad if that was a Star Wars story? That was comedic... and had heart... and was bad ass... and the closest I've felt to watching a sci-fi action movie that got me as excited as Star Wars.

I like a few Ron Howard movies (Cinderella Man - Willow) but I don't think we'll see anything that really blows us away.

Now that I think about it... Willow itself was a LOT slap sticky. "We go.... THAT WAAAAAY!"

End Ramble. I'm supposed to be working. Damn Fridays.

Last edited:

It does seem it was heading that direction and using my admittedly limited SWIQ that is certainly a bridge too far for any Star Wars film and certainly not keeping with the character of Han Solo. His humor is in his casualness when faced with difficult odds and how that works out in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

My 4 year ld son had requested two re watchings of Rogue One this past week. :) One could say one's SWIQ is boosted by actually having children and seeing it through their eyes. I'm sure @Wook would disagree.
Bryan your passive aggressive douchiness is hilarious. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back