1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hey RA,

Thanks so much! Oh Yes... we've tried VERY hard to stay as accurate as we can get. In some places we've taken liberties but for the most part we've tried to remain true.

The Volvo Dash Panel! I have 6-8 panels sitting in the back room waiting to be reinstalled back onto the "Volvo Panels" (that's what I've labelled the main panels - those dreaded panels LOL). The original designers used the panels extensively throughout the SW universe - especially Empire. They are located not just in the cockpit and on HiC, but also the Star Destroyer, MedBay, etc. Most of the Star Destroyer panels were painted black and tough to see.

You're welcome, I thought you guys would probably have everything planned way in advance and glad you already have a stash of them ready to install!

Don't hit the hyperdrive until you've cleared the garage!

I never worry about those sort of things until after I've done it! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. My. Lanta. Such an AWESOME update!! Those pads look so good, and I love the splatter on the pipes inside the ring - it looks like some kind of fluid-carrying hose popped and sprayed everywhere. Such a great "lived-in" effect. Keep up the great work!

Really dug the Wired piece too - great stuff!

Thanks, BBD!

The Wired article turned out really well considering what they had to work with! ;)

The pipes and corridor ring might get another layer of dirty goodness. I really want those recessed areas to show a bit more grunge to them. I think they DEF need more wires and hoses as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey W,

Thanks! Let me know if you want to stop by and see her in person. :)
[/QUOTE]

I would love to see it in person sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Shoot me a PM and we'll chat

- - - Updated - - -

Simple way are the best !

Follow this thread daily but im a bit silent :)
Really love your work and how its turn woth the pad (saw your previous try and this one is really great !)

Hat off ! :)

Thanks so much M! Also, we really do appreciate the continued and silent support! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Those pads are seriously cool and completely change how the whole cockpit looks really take it to the next level ..... not that it needs to go to any more levels of coolness

And I do hope to get over at some point to come see it for a geek out session

Loosebruce

Thanks, LB!

I was afraid the pad color might be a bit too dark but when the lights are on them, they really brighten up. I may not have them perfect, but I am really happy with how everything turned out. Now if I can just figure out these dang entrance door pads. Something happened with the Podge and paint. It's very very strange.

We're planning to hit as many Cons as we can in the upcoming years so hopefully we can all meet up and geek out!

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome, I thought you guys would probably have everything planned way in advance and glad you already have a stash of them ready to install!

Hey R,

If you scroll back through the post to Dec of 2015 (when TFA premiered) you can see the finished Volvo panels.

Once I finish the canopy, or get as much done as I can, I'll be finishing up the Volvo panels in time for the convention at the end of this month!

Hey R,

If you scroll back through the post to Dec of 2015 (when TFA premiered) you can see the finished Volvo panels.

Once I finish the canopy, or get as much done as I can, I'll be finishing up the Volvo panels in time for the convention at the end of this month!

Ah, right - I didn't trawl back through the thread far enough to see that, I just saw that the panels weren't present in the more recent photos. My bad! I've just gone back ~100 pages and spotted them. They are looking good. :)

Additional gratuitous compliment!

Seriously though, the pads...wow. Just...wow. It just brings it all together. Just needs the cockpit door and pads and it’s 1977 and I’m 12 again.

Just watched the Wired vid. Too cool. That was a great interview.

We now know the price of YouTube fame without inflicting bodily injury or possessing mental ineptitude,$30-60K. Unfortunately that’s out of my range I’m going to go skateboard off a roof into an empty swimming pool while wearing a Spongebob costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gang,

I need some help!!!!! There are many "red" and "red on white" symbols throughout the cockpit that I need to print as decals then put in place. Does anybody know a successful way to print these at home or know a reputable/cheap vendor who is able to print them?

I have all the files ready and I have had zero success printing, sealing etc... Naturally, I've destroyed any and all failures! lol

Any help would be awesome! :)

What about a vinyl cutter? Anybody on here have a Cricut or similar? I think Kinkos/Fed-Ex/Staples/etc. often have a vinyl cutter as well, though if you've got a lot to do, it might be cheaper to drop the dough on a personal/hobby machine instead.

Google "Water Slide Decals". I know Testors makes a kit and there are several others. Just need an ink jet printer.

In fact, here you go.https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/tools/decals/

Hey K,

I tried exactly that! I dont know if it was the quality paper, ink or sealer but it totally failed. I couldn't get the decal to separate from the paper. :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

What about a vinyl cutter? Anybody on here have a Cricut or similar? I think Kinkos/Fed-Ex/Staples/etc. often have a vinyl cutter as well, though if you've got a lot to do, it might be cheaper to drop the dough on a personal/hobby machine instead.

Hey B,

These might be too small for a vinyl cutter BUT that work for printing the entire panel with all its associated pinstripes, symbols, etc! HMMMMMM

I think there are better systems than the Testors. I've read mixed results using theirs. There are also people that will print for you.

I've never used either (although I have a need in the future) so I'm just armchair quarterbacking.

The problem with vinyl is it's very glossy. Probably not normally a big deal EXCEPT in photographing, especially with a flash. It'll show up as light flashes. You know, like a JJ Abrams movie.

I’ve got a silhouette cameo 3, if the decals print 1:1 I can print them on some vinyl and cut them out.

I think there are better systems than the Testors. I've read mixed results using theirs. There are also people that will print for you.

I've never used either (although I have a need in the future) so I'm just armchair quarterbacking.

The problem with vinyl is it's very glossy. Probably not normally a big deal EXCEPT in photographing, especially with a flash. It'll show up as light flashes. You know, like a JJ Abrams movie.

I've received quotes from online vendors but the prices are outrageous - putting an immediate end to that option!

I'm sure I can find some simply flat vinyl. DEF want to stay away from the gloss

- - - Updated - - -

Could you use your laser cutter to cut decals from sheets of adhesive-backed vinyl?

NEVER even thought of that. I'm sure I could adjust the setting enough not to burn the material. Great idea, MB! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve got a silhouette cameo 3, if the decals print 1:1 I can print them on some vinyl and cut them out.

What type of file do you need? Let's talk! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it matters. You're just sealing in the ink so it doesn't smear.

I didn't think so either. But, for example, I know some silver / chrome paints ONLY work with a high gloss black base coat - that's the only reason why I asked. :)

I'm sure I can find some simply flat vinyl. DEF want to stay away from the gloss
A few ways to take the shine off vinyl (from a signmaker [not me] with first-hand experience), in no particular order:
1. Rubbing alcohol. Depending on the type of vinyl, a quick wash could do the trick.
2. Acetone (nail polish remover). A quick wipe will do it. Don't go heavy or it'll eat the vinyl, but a damp wipe plus the quick evaporation of the acetone and you're done. Repeat if needed to get duller.
3. A matte clear coat spray. Dulls it down without damaging (most) vinyl.
4. The industrial roll-on version is something called ClearShield Matte and is something sign makers have/use/swear by/etc.

So... options if you're having trouble finding matte vinyl.

Missed the last few updates as work picked up for me, but man Sofa those pads are really coming out awesome! Really brings the whole thing together! I'm so stoked that a guy like you has endured this project through so far, as most would have started cutting corners to "be done" with it years ago...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I've received quotes from online vendors but the prices are outrageous - putting an immediate end to that option!

- - - Updated - - -

NEVER even thought of that. I'm sure I could adjust the setting enough not to burn the material. Great idea, MB! :)

- - - Updated - - -

What type of file do you need? Let's talk! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think so either. But, for example, I know some silver / chrome paints ONLY work with a high gloss black base coat - that's the only reason why I asked. :)

PDF works

A few ways to take the shine off vinyl (from a signmaker [not me] with first-hand experience), in no particular order:
1. Rubbing alcohol. Depending on the type of vinyl, a quick wash could do the trick.
2. Acetone (nail polish remover). A quick wipe will do it. Don't go heavy or it'll eat the vinyl, but a damp wipe plus the quick evaporation of the acetone and you're done. Repeat if needed to get duller.
3. A matte clear coat spray. Dulls it down without damaging (most) vinyl.
4. The industrial roll-on version is something called ClearShield Matte and is something sign makers have/use/swear by/etc.

So... options if you're having trouble finding matte vinyl.

Thanks, BBD! I'll figure something out. Going to try to simple Testors decal paper "again". Fingers crossed

Missed the last few updates as work picked up for me, but man Sofa those pads are really coming out awesome! Really brings the whole thing together! I'm so stoked that a guy like you has endured this project through so far, as most would have started cutting corners to "be done" with it years ago...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Hey ST,

Thanks so much. I can't believe we're 2 days away from 6 years since we started posting images.

Sadly, it doesn't look like I'll be ending the project anytime soon. I'll be boring you guys / gals with thousands more images, building more greeblies and hiding all my foul-ups and mistakes!

I think you're all stuck with me for a LONG while! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back