Actors - Separating personal from professional...

joeranger

Sr Member
In my family, we joke about how some people hate Tom Cruise... Is it because he is so good looking or because he makes really awesome movies? I get it, he has issues, but "once his pants are on, he makes gold movies!!!" Pill Cosby is a more extreme example. As much as I loved his comedy, he is dead to me:(

SO the new Amy Schumer movie is getting some bad reviews. I loved her comedy until I saw how many jokes she stole. She is like the "Carlos Mencia" of comedians.

I did watch her "leather" netflix special. It legitimately was just not funny. What was funny was all the comments and reviews. However, I realized that I am somehow pleased that her new movie is getting bad reviews. It is self punishing. It is one less movie that I could enjoy. I need "date" movies that i can take my wife to... This should have been one of them.

So here is my point, all actors, athletes, musicians, comedians live in an alternate reality. If we decide to dislike their material due to personal reasons, it is understandable but as I said, "self-punishing".

In my family, we joke about how some people hate Tom Cruise... Is it because he is so good looking or because he makes really awesome movies? I get it, he has issues, but "once his pants are on, he makes gold movies!!!" Pill Cosby is a more extreme example. As much as I loved his comedy, he is dead to me:(

SO the new Amy Schumer movie is getting some bad reviews. I loved her comedy until I saw how many jokes she stole. She is like the "Carlos Mencia" of comedians.

I did watch her "leather" netflix special. It legitimately was just not funny. What was funny was all the comments and reviews. However, I realized that I am somehow pleased that her new movie is getting bad reviews. It is self punishing. It is one less movie that I could enjoy. I need "date" movies that i can take my wife to... This should have been one of them.

So here is my point, all actors, athletes, musicians, comedians live in an alternate reality. If we decide to dislike their material due to personal reasons, it is understandable but as I said, "self-punishing".

Paw, man. What's wrong with Pill? :lol

Riddle me this; why does society put celebrities on pedestals? Sure, they influence culture, some way more than others, but at the end of the day, they're just regular people. The biggest difference? You see them in a movie or on stage somewhere. Sure, I am fans of some celebrities that I feel have had an impact on my life, but at the same time, I don't feel I should treat or speak of them anymore highly than a generally respected colleague. There's SO many people out there that actually save lives and contribute to humanity in much more significant ways than "playing" a fictional character on screen, yet, those individuals are less known, overshadowed by "celebrities."

The unfortunate reality is that some big name actors and musicians have gone completely bonkers over the years, but people still feed into this. Not to mention the extremely degenerate crap some more "popular" celebrities openly engage in.

It's honestly kind of horrifying

the new Amy Schumer movie is getting some bad reviews. I loved her comedy until I saw how many jokes she stole. She is like the "Carlos Mencia" of comedians.

Did you see the clip where Amy Schumer went on Ellen and used a joke that was actually stolen from Ellen? Priceless. Ellen did a popcorn joke in her set years before and Amy is sitting right in front of Ellen and proceeds to use the popcorn joke to Ellen.

People need to worship,and thinking for yourself is hard so we get this nonsense of putting anybody mildly famous on a pedestal,personally it's getting so that I hate movies as it's all one big propaganda blitz,those movie STARS that blind so many want to tell you how to think,feel,and act.

Why I post so little,I don't watch anything anymore.

Did you see the clip where Amy Schumer went on Ellen and used a joke that was actually stolen from Ellen? Priceless. Ellen did a popcorn joke in her set years before and Amy is sitting right in front of Ellen and proceeds to use the popcorn joke to Ellen.

That's because she's a worthless hack. Ellen isn't the first person she has stolen jokes from either.

I have a ton of Cosby vinyl I grew up listening to, just can't do it anymore unfortunately. There's plenty of outspoken actors that I disagree with on social/political/religious issues but it doesn't impact my enjoyment of their work. I can't think of anyone other than BC that turned me off enough to change my entertainment habits.

My Parents were/are/will be my role models forever! Why would I look for "direction" ,or something else, from a celebrity:behave:rolleyes

I was a huge fan of Amy Schumer’s TV show. I thought there was a lot of genius work and things being said— then you look at her solo work and her book and you realize most of the gold on her show came from her writers— people like Tig Nataro, Jessi Klien, Tami Sagher, and many more.

Why do people idolize most of the people they do? The 'great' historical figures are usually not so great when you examine all their actions and not just the bottom line of their accomplishments.

Actors are the faces on modern myths. Right or wrong, that's what gets them idolized.

celebrities: well, if they take a dump they do not smell like roses.

some celebrities need to realise they are just humans. i hate it if they act like they are above anyone else.

celebrities: well, if they take a dump they do not smell like roses.

some celebrities need to realise they are just humans. i hate it if they act like they are above anyone else.

Not true, Barbra Streisand is renound for having someone place fresh rose petals into any toilet she might use .

I watched Kevin James new Netflix special last night . He had a lot of jokes about stupid people taking his picture and whatnot .
I thought it was particularly interesting because he is often number one on the list of celebrities who hate there fans .

Never meet your heroes...

Never read about your heroes either. My mother was a big Nelson Eddie & Jennette Macdonald fan and just loved their movies until she read a biography about them and learned that as people they were not so great. She still loves their films but she can't get past what she read about them, sort of like all the crap you hear about William Shatner from some of the other actors on the show.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back