Marvel's The Punisher

Ok finished it last night. Im a little bummed. I really liked the epic battle when he was fighting with DD. That was what I was expecting from this. Not the touchy feely ending. Im gonna re watch DD to get the ending I wanted.

I'm 3 - 4 episodes in so far and I'm liking, for me, it's right up there with Dare Devil. The only thing that I don't like is that the paranoid nutjob in the vet group was wearing an NRA hat and later an NRA shirt, basically a liberal Hollywood writer's stereotype of an NRA member/gun owner. I'm also not overly keen on the whole vet group, I'm not denying that there are vets out that are seriously suffering from PTSD and that there are probably support groups like this out there, but the way they portray feels a bit too much like the classic messed up vet cliche/trope that we've seen in Hollywood since the '60s and the Vietnam war. Those two critiques aside, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far and it's much better than Iron Fist was and I rather enjoyed Iron Fist, as bad as it was.

I'm 3 - 4 episodes in so far and I'm liking, for me, it's right up there with Dare Devil. The only thing that I don't like is that the paranoid nutjob in the vet group was wearing an NRA hat and later an NRA shirt, basically a liberal Hollywood writer's stereotype of an NRA member/gun owner. I'm also not overly keen on the whole vet group, I'm not denying that there are vets out that are seriously suffering from PTSD and that there are probably support groups like this out there, but the way they portray feels a bit too much like the classic messed up vet cliche/trope that we've seen in Hollywood since the '60s and the Vietnam war. Those two critiques aside, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far and it's much better than Iron Fist was and I rather enjoyed Iron Fist, as bad as it was.

The NRA doesn't publish statistics, but I would assume that a lot of former military vets are probably members or at least support what the NRA does, so whether or not it was a liberal Hollywood jab at the NRA, it's probably accurate. You'll find out by the end why the group is important though, keep watching.

I'm at Ep 7 now and I gotta say, I'm really loving it. Jon Bernthal screaming when he goes on a rampage is just what I needed from the Punisher :lol Way better than Iron Fist, it's a tie for me between this and Jessica Jones but that might change when I finish the whole season.

The NRA doesn't publish statistics, but I would assume that a lot of former military vets are probably members or at least support what the NRA does, so whether or not it was a liberal Hollywood jab at the NRA, it's probably accurate. You'll find out by the end why the group is important though, keep watching.

I think you misundertood what I was saying. My problem with the character wasn't that he was a vet and a member of the NRA, I have 0 problems with that, my problem was portraying as a far right wing conspiracy nut and an NRA member and thus playing into just about every anti-gun stereotype about the NRA and its members.

I think you misundertood what I was saying. My problem with the character wasn't that he was a vet and a member of the NRA, I have 0 problems with that, my problem was portraying as a far right wing conspiracy nut and an NRA member and thus playing into just about every anti-gun stereotype about the NRA and its members.

And that's fine, it probably does. So what? It isn't like those people aren't out there, this isn't just making something up out of whole cloth and it certainly doesn't pretend like *ALL* of the vets are crazed killers or anything, in fact, they're almost all played very sympathetically. But there is one guy who is a conspiracy nut and someone else who has mental problems who is led astray. It isn't like the whole group is out there gunning people down in the street. In fact, the group demonstrably helps people. But like I said, you have to watch to the end for that.

And that's fine, it probably does. So what? It isn't like those people aren't out there, this isn't just making something up out of whole cloth and it certainly doesn't pretend like *ALL* of the vets are crazed killers or anything, in fact, they're almost all played very sympathetically. But there is one guy who is a conspiracy nut and someone else who has mental problems who is led astray. It isn't like the whole group is out there gunning people down in the street. In fact, the group demonstrably helps people. But like I said, you have to watch to the end for that.

True, but there was no reason for him to wear NRA gear except to sell the far right conspiracy nut angle because of the stereotype of the NRA & gun owners by extension being basically evil & conspiracy nuts. It's a tired and false stereotype and they could have just as easily sold the character as a conspiracy nut without the addition of the NRA wardrobe and pamphlet.

True, but there was no reason for him to wear NRA gear except to sell the far right conspiracy nut angle because of the stereotype of the NRA & gun owners by extension being basically evil & conspiracy nuts. It's a tired and false stereotype and they could have just as easily sold the character as a conspiracy nut without the addition of the NRA wardrobe and pamphlet.

And there's no reason for him not to. As I said, I'd assume a huge number of former and present military are also NRA members, they even have a special classification for disbled vets. Why couldn't they just say "all military people are crazy"? Then you'd be complaining that they put him in the military. I think it's getting upset about nothing, but you can do as you wish.

I liked it, I didn't love it, but I liked it more than any of the other film adaptions. I think Ray Stevenson was a better Punisher then Berenthal, but not what I would consider the definitive actor for the character. I hope in season 2 Berenthal loses the Simple Jack haircut as well. Man that bugged me..

Haha. Simple Jack.
I like Stevenson a lot. I tried to imagine him pulling off some of the depth Bernthal managed. Tough call.
I didn't like Madoni at all. Her face annoyed me and her personality matched.
The Wilson kids story was annoying too. Felt like it could have been a character from NCIS.
Russo was OK. He felt similar to the dick he played in Westworld.
The CIA creep was good because that guy is great as an u likeable jerk you can't wait to see get beat up.
Enjoyed the depth of the icro character. The guy was a little annoying but the development of their relationship worked well.

This Punisher felt very different from Daredevil. He was more savage in DD. But both were good.
Felt like they should have had one last scene with Karen.

Overall it was good.

I'm currently watching season 1 again, getting ready for season 2. I can't seem to remember how Daredevil season 2 ended with Frank. Why does everyone think he is dead? Someone refresh my memory.

I'm currently watching season 1 again, getting ready for season 2. I can't seem to remember how Daredevil season 2 ended with Frank. Why does everyone think he is dead? Someone refresh my memory.

I'm not sure why folks would think Frank is dead at the end of that series, not the audience at least.
Frank is just blasting Hand goons from an adjoining roof top, while daredevil and electra run past the corpses the chase ubu

I believe one of the things they "did" for frank at some point in that series, is to fake his death, or otherwise allow the media to think he'd been killed, so he could start over. Cut to the start of the Punisher series, and you see him working his construction job, having "started over".

I really enjoyed season 2. It was interesting how they changed Jigsaw from the comics. Now Jigsaw gets his name from his mind being puzzle pieces instead of a really messed up face.

I finished season 2 last night. It was pretty solid. I thought it started off great but kind of lost it's way as it went on. It seemed a little unfocused with the multiple storylines.

Honestly I didn’t like Jigsaw at first because I grew up reading the Punisher comics.

However Ben Barnes did a really good job with his interpretation of Jigsaw. I bounced several times from hating him to feeling sorry for him with the latter right up until the very end.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back