Comic-style Dredd

Ibnzbass4

Well, it's been a while since I've built anything as I spend most of my time doing stuff with the 501st as a TK. But after a recent major health issue, I feel invigorated to get back to a project I meant to start many moons ago. So I'm looking to build a comic-style Judge Dredd. This won't be accurate to any specific look, but inspired by the comic and the Judge Minty interpretation. BTW, I have a lot of pepakura files that I collected years ago, some of which are no longer as easy to find. Shoot me a PM if you need one. My helmet will be based off of a paper pep file. But as for the armor, I'm doing a foam build.

For the left shoulder, I started with 5mm craft foam. I elected to use that instead of EVA foam due to its availability and size. Some of the EVA armor builds just look too bulky for me. When I found larger sheets of 5mm craft foam at Hobby Lobby, that's what I decided to start with. So here is the very beginning of my build. Lots more to follow:
20170611_220432_zps4eamvnmj.jpg20170611_220757_zpselymve96.jpg

Naturally, these are backwards because they were taken in the mirror rather than as a selfie. But you get the idea.

I ultimately decided that the first craft foam build was just a prototype. While I used a ruler and measured everything, I just wanted it a bit cleaner. Plus I went back to the Judge Minty pics a decided I wanted the final piece to be slightly narrower, and wanted the individual slats to be narrower as well.

So I took some more measurements and spent time crafting a template. I have no experience using computer drafting programs (even freeware ones like GIMP), so it took some trial and error. But I think it's ready to go.

At this point, I've also decided to switch to thicker EVA foam for the 2 under layers. Only the top pieces will be with the 5 mm craft foam.
8f8e5a61c895e6907eb6c29b30da0a77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All of the horizontal craft foam pieces are now attached to the EVA foam base. Underlayer will be next after more curing time. Then shaping.

So, while I work the right shoulder details out in my head, I started a template for a buckle. A couple of inverted trapezoids, an oval or two and a shield on a word document. Plus a little free hand.
4fb690a54227bd35a27b0d85a0c8863b.jpg
4b6555adb884b4986d294aba7cb812cd.jpg

b0871466508bb886941d4876c8291a22.jpg

Last edited:
The left armour is almost done and ready to be sealed. Just a little more shaping. The belt buckle is starting to take shape too.
0643e0a7d60d767c43620af563070b13.jpg
8659941bee5488e15262e6003474fd3e.jpg
d89e0b2548f5f6964b9a79a921f7903e.jpg

Trying to decide if cardstock is thick enough to give the relief for the final product, once sealed and painted. I only want subtle lines that will be accented by paint.
ab3d1fb7795b3b712eadb66b7a30af46.jpg

For the shoulder piece, did you glue all the pieces together before shaping the curve?
I'm mainly talking about the two large grey pieces, as I would expect that much of a curve to cause problems when shaping if glued.

EDIT: for clarification I have done very little working with foam (just one skyrim helmet scratch build)

For the shoulder piece, did you glue all the pieces together before shaping the curve?
I'm mainly talking about the two large grey pieces, as I would expect that much of a curve to cause problems when shaping if glued.

EDIT: for clarification I have done very little working with foam (just one skyrim helmet scratch build)
This is my first real foam build too, and I had that same question all along: bend and glue or glue then bend. In the end, I glued the center of the 2 pieces in a section about an inch and a half think. Then I curved the pieces, marked off where I wanted them to line up, and glued another section. This way I was able to shape as I went. Then I stored it wedged between a table and chair to keep the shape overnight. Worked pretty well.

I think if I glued flat all at once and tried to bend it later, it would have been a problem.

Last edited:
Both pieces sealed with a pva cocktail. Just about ready to move to the eagle. Maybe one more coat for the buckle.
a3bb345c294858e4e761edb9e75a4a59.jpg
5d2a9714e566fae9e3c4d876f14a6454.jpg

Almost 1,000 views! Good to see a lot of Dredd fans. [emoji6]

Did some work on the eagle. I gave up on the football cutout and created one from scratch using foam. Here's the work so far. Almost ready to mount it.
81667624e99aa2f26dd26ff1c18c1eef.jpg

Holy crap, that is Amazing work dude .-)

- - - Updated - - -

Working on something similar, just have to see how it works out..... or not!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back