Rogue Troopers

Sorry, I don't really see anything that's heavy handed as far as the change. There is change, don't get me wrong, but nothing that made me say 'holy W#$%, they did what??'.

DId you ever stop and think that may be a number of the changes were functional? The OT suits were hard to wear, hard to breathe in, hard to see, not easy to get around, etc. Perhaps they're going for more agile troopers? etc...In which case you'd need a lot of changes to make that happen.

Seems they took a few cues from TFA troopers. Belt attaching to, or a part of the torso - not hanging loose. Tighter torso fit, extra vents in the helmet, etc.

If the designer sat down and said 'i'm going to change stuff just to put my stamp on it' , he'd likely get fired.

People get blinded by all the minutiae because of this hobby and seem to forget thats not who these films are geared towards. For the general public, these suits are identical to the originals. Hell, I bet there are even people who consider themselves die hard Star Wars fans, but don't have every detail of the ANH Stormtrooper costumes committed to memory. Sure, the suits are different, but when you're able to step back and look at them, there's nothing outrageously different that would make you think these aren't Stormtroopers from the same era as ANH.

I am a DIE HARD OT purist, every rivet and blemish is important to me as far as the originals go when I am looking for pieces for my collection. However, I am a realist too, and I do applaud what they have done here, made a functional suit that looks so close to the original that 99.6% of people that go see this movie will never notice. We are such a small part of the SW fan base. They are close enough.

I'm an ANH Stormtrooper purist. I like the original suits, especially the Hero variants.

I think this revisionist ANH armor in Rogue One is horrible.

I can accept the sharpening, straightening of lines, making details more functional (such as the vents, mouth), removal of asymmetry and the sculptural warts. What I cannot accept is total distortion of the original sculpt and some of the heavy handed changes that affect the overall look. They have removed the organic curves from the armor, the general shapes are way off on EVERY PIECE.

The end result is something that looks like a GT/FX suit from 2004. That is why these troopers look like cosplayers.

On top of all this, continuity wise, this movie is supposed to end 10 minutes before ANH, I would expect the Stormtroopers to look EXACTLY like they did in ANH.

No excuse for these changes. The production crew had all the resources in the world to replicate the ANH look and they FAILED. Can't wait to see the revisionist Vader.

Well said:thumbsup.

When I first saw these pics online I thought they were fan made stuff based on fx armor and not from the upcoming movie.

I'm looking forward to the movie but I see major disappointment on my part as far as established imperials are concerned (Rubies like Vader... etc... etc)

Sorry guys, crappy.

I totally love the Stormtroopers of the old era I'm actually really pleased that it looks more than acceptable and not some new cross clown - sorry clone design. Never understood why they weren't Stormies right from the start right to the end.

People get blinded by all the minutiae because of this hobby and seem to forget thats not who these films are geared towards. For the general public, these suits are identical to the originals. Hell, I bet there are even people who consider themselves die hard Star Wars fans, but don't have every detail of the ANH Stormtrooper costumes committed to memory. Sure, the suits are different, but when you're able to step back and look at them, there's nothing outrageously different that would make you think these aren't Stormtroopers from the same era as ANH.

Yep, this. These look like Stormtroopers. Not a thing done to them is drastic enough that any normal person will notice or care about. I get that us HERE want things to be exact, but they aren't making movies for the very small audience on this page or over on White Armor. They're trying to make a billion dollars and that's going to need more than us. The average fan won't notice a difference.

I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm not even saying it's better.
I'm saying I love it and (I think you can all agree with me here) it could have been a whole lot worse. A lot worse.

Also the only major curve I see missing so far, is on the forearm. The ones elsewhere that are missing are more hidden so no probs.

I'm looking forward to the movie but I see major disappointment on my part as far as established imperials are concerned (Rubies like Vader... etc... etc)

Sorry guys, crappy.

Where have you seen a pic of this supposed "Rubies like Vader"...I am pretty sure we haven't seen anything in regards to Vader except the promotional art which has been leaked and has a flipped image.

The part that really makes me laugh is how people will put their own personal expectations on what a movie should look like and when the filmmakers didn't live up to this standard then all of a sudden they failed. Sorry, I didn't know Disney was expected to consult each and every fan before they make a SW flick.

To me they look like they were injected plastic or fibreglass.

They may have wanted to avoid vac formed armour because of it's tendancy to crack and break (having said that they could easily reinforce and other materials will crack too) so that changes the feel and look of the armour, making it less rounded and soft/ a bit sharper. Ok that's one change.

And they've made everything a bit more symmetrical, that's understandable and makes sense. So that's another change

After that it feels like they tweaked things around a bit to make them easier to wear and to keep everything in place (like the belt 'notches'). They mucked around with OT suits too so fair enough. OK that's another one!

If there are any other changes after that I guess you could claim that it's gratuitous but overall I think they look the part.

Given that the tfa armor was injection molded plastic, these looking pretty similar to the same material, I'd say they went with the same process

I think these new suits are similar to a hero version of a lightsaber compared to a resin stunt saber (the OT armor). The OT armor had vague bumps with some painted colors to give the illusion of functional parts. The new ones actually have pieces that look like functional parts.

The vocoder on the helmet is a good example. The OT was just some bumps painted black. Now they are actual tubes that protrude from the helmet.

The OT seems like they were made for background shots, not for close-ups. I still like the OT design, it just isn't as detailed.

I think these new suits are similar to a hero version of a lightsaber compared to a resin stunt saber (the OT armor). The OT armor had vague bumps with some painted colors to give the illusion of functional parts. The new ones actually have pieces that look like functional parts.

The vocoder on the helmet is a good example. The OT was just some bumps painted black. Now they are actual tubes that protrude from the helmet.

The OT seems like they were made for background shots, not for close-ups. I still like the OT design, it just isn't as detailed.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind adding a RO helmet to sit next to my ANH helmet in my collection.

Someone is going to try to,lynch me for using Star Trek as an example here.... But when they went from the small screen to the big screen back in '79, they realized the Enterprise just wasn't detailed enough to be shown on a 2 story tall movie screen. so the Enterprise refit was born, showing off each and every panel, window detail and decal.

I see this in much the same way... ANH was made in an SD world and now we're living in an HD world, so our Thunderbuckets (dunno why I've always called stormies Thunderbuckets) need to be in HD

No excuse needed. It is a great improvement of the shabby work that was done on the old version.

Ok the fabrication of the originals was rushed and it shows but if your calling the original sculpt and design shabby then there's no hope for you. That original sculpt is artwork,pure and simple. Everything on the original,as it was intended,minus the fabrication flows naturally from part to part making the suit as a whole a beautifully organic and satisfying design. It's iconic. One part flows so well to the next with minimal black seen between,encapsulating the wearer in what looks like a space suit of armor. The parts on the new trooper don't flow well from one to the next with huge gaps in between and oversized limbs. Don't get me into how the oversized cod peice looks like a diaper.:rolleyes

How can people not see this?

I didn't want to get involved in this,I really didn't as I've said my mind in other threads and I'm really pumped for this movie but I'm sorry, to call an absolute work of art done by a very talented artist/s shabby work but then go on to say that somebody who just copied but made worse that artwork talented is just wrong. All they've done is copy the original,and badly at that,but then add functional looking details which takes very minimal talent. I'm happy people like it,I really am but don't mistake lack of talent for art.

Now those Death Troopers I love and someone talented has made something new and exciting with those. ;)

Ben

I'm an ANH Stormtrooper purist. I like the original suits, especially the Hero variants.

I think this revisionist ANH armor in Rogue One is horrible.

I can accept the sharpening, straightening of lines, making details more functional (such as the vents, mouth), removal of asymmetry and the sculptural warts. What I cannot accept is total distortion of the original sculpt and some of the heavy handed changes that affect the overall look. They have removed the organic curves from the armor, the general shapes are way off on EVERY PIECE.

The end result is something that looks like a GT/FX suit from 2004. That is why these troopers look like cosplayers.

On top of all this, continuity wise, this movie is supposed to end 10 minutes before ANH, I would expect the Stormtroopers to look EXACTLY like they did in ANH.

No excuse for these changes. The production crew had all the resources in the world to replicate the ANH look and they FAILED. Can't wait to see the revisionist Vader.

I couldn't agree more. This new design looks "flat" compared to the OT troopers. As someone stated earlier in this thread, it looks like something you would throw together for cosplay.

They used a "new" design because they can not reproduce the original, because they do not have the rights to make stormtrooper costumes or replicas! The rigts owned by: Andrew Ainsworth.

They used a "new" design because they can not reproduce the original, because they do not have the rights to make stormtrooper costumes or replicas! The rigts owned by: Andrew Ainsworth.

Thats bull$&@t. He owns no rights whatsoever. He has found a loophole. That is all.

Ben

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back