Gerty from Moon (3D model) *Download in 1st post

jarvis

Sr Member
Finishing up this model of Gerty. Thought it would be a nice, easy subject to attempt to better learn 3d modeling. These are some renderings of the WIP.
Still have to do some of the little details in the cutouts, the small fluorescent lights, and the visor, then I will attempt to print it.
gertyfront.jpg
gertyback.jpg
Thanks for looking!

***Edit***
Here are the files if anyone else wants to give it a go.
I've never modeled anything for printing before, but here's Gerty assembled: gertywhole.stl

And here he is a zip file of the individual parts: gertyparts.stl

Last edited:
Re: Gerty from Moon (3D model)

Don't forget the Kick Me decal. Great job - great movie. One of my favorites. Major Tom would be proud. ;)

Nice work - I have the 1/6th resin kit that Steve Howarth released (he made the original film prop) and I'd say you have it bang on!

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's definitely one of my favorites too.
I've finished up the cutout details on the model, though they aren't entirely accurate. It was hard to find good shots of those bits, so I had to embellish a bit. I did use some pictures of the kit and the prop on Steve Howarth's site as reference which were really helpful.
detail1.jpgdetail2.jpg
front2.jpgback2.jpg

I am printing it at about 10 inches, but my Maker Select's power supply died on me about 20 hours into the 30 hr. print of the first part.
If any one is interested in giving it a print I added some download links in the 1st post to the .stl files. The world needs more gertys.

Last edited:

That's so amazing!

I'm ordering a 3d printer today and i've been hoping there would be a Gerty 3D model.

You're the best!

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's definitely one of my favorites too.
I've finished up the cutout details on the model, though they aren't entirely accurate. It was hard to find good shots of those bits, so I had to embellish a bit. I did use some pictures of the kit and the prop on Steve Howarth's site as reference which were really helpful.
View attachment 733460View attachment 733459
View attachment 733461View attachment 733462

I am printing it at about 10 inches, but my Maker Select's power supply died on me about 20 hours into the 30 hr. print of the first part.
If any one is interested in giving it a print I added some download links in the 1st post to the .stl files. The world needs more gertys.

Jarvis was kind enough to send me the separate STL files that i modded a touch to be more printer friendly and fired off a test at 75% scale in PLA with a layer height of 0.24mm, threw a lick of paint on it and added a few stickers and........

IMG_3243.JPGIMG_3244.JPGIMG_3245.JPGIMG_3246.JPG

Amazing job Jarvis and thanks for sharing !!

Oh

my

Goodness.

that's incredible. Gerty is definitely high on my list of priorities when my 3d printer arrives. Would you be willing to share the more printer friendly files by any chance? i'd obviously only use them for personal use and not share them anywhere.

if not, i'm happy to press on with the regular files, as a total 3D printer n00b im aware of how tricky it can be :)

Jarvis was kind enough to send me the separate STL files that i modded a touch to be more printer friendly and fired off a test at 75% scale in PLA with a layer height of 0.24mm, threw a lick of paint on it and added a few stickers and........

View attachment 736119View attachment 736120View attachment 736121View attachment 736122

Amazing job Jarvis and thanks for sharing !!

Oh

my

Goodness.

that's incredible. Gerty is definitely high on my list of priorities when my 3d printer arrives. Would you be willing to share the more printer friendly files by any chance? i'd obviously only use them for personal use and not share them anywhere.

I'm happy to share modded files however as Jarvis is yet to make these separated STL's public you would need his permission. Also they still need some tweeks.

Looks great Jamie!
I added a zip file of the individual parts to the first post, consider it an open source project, share it, modify it, do whatever you like. Jamie was helpful enough to let me know to increase the tolerances on the keys, so I will eventually revisit those parts so there is less sanding required.

what a wonderful thing :)

a model gerty is really high on my wishlist so as soon as i get to grips with my 3D printer this is getting printed.

thanks again.

Looks great Jamie!
I added a zip file of the individual parts to the first post, consider it an open source project, share it, modify it, do whatever you like. Jamie was helpful enough to let me know to increase the tolerances on the keys, so I will eventually revisit those parts so there is less sanding required.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back