Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

1FE0377C-4A5B-467E-85B2-643BAF2CB23F.jpg got the sweatbands today lol
1eba310a42e41761d8598df972d53840.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only building the webshooters for the moment, and I figured I'd run some stuff by you guys?

I'm planning on making the cartridges and the majority of the actual shooter section out of styrene, with the rounder stuff probably coming from whatever garbage I can find laying around. Then I figured I'd use a black base coat and some silver Rub 'n Buff to make it look like real metal.

I can't figure out the band for the life of me, though. It sort of looks like a backpack strap with red duct tape in between the cartridges, but that's just based on me squinting reeeal hard on the Hot Toys figure. I can't find a seam anywhere for it to strap on, but the trigger also seems to come from inside the sweatshirt sleeve, so maybe they're stitched directly onto the costume? That's really my biggest hangup in planning right now, so any input would be lovely!

I'm only building the webshooters for the moment, and I figured I'd run some stuff by you guys?

I'm planning on making the cartridges and the majority of the actual shooter section out of styrene, with the rounder stuff probably coming from whatever garbage I can find laying around. Then I figured I'd use a black base coat and some silver Rub 'n Buff to make it look like real metal.

I can't figure out the band for the life of me, though. It sort of looks like a backpack strap with red duct tape in between the cartridges, but that's just based on me squinting reeeal hard on the Hot Toys figure. I can't find a seam anywhere for it to strap on, but the trigger also seems to come from inside the sweatshirt sleeve, so maybe they're stitched directly onto the costume? That's really my biggest hangup in planning right now, so any input would be lovely!
Okay, so basically the web shooter bands on the homemade suit are red sweat bands with nylon straps on holding the cartridges on. As far as the web shooter cartriges and actual shooter reference the hot toys figure is just about as close as you're gonna get until the movie comes out. I suspect the nylon strap has the cartridge screwed onto it, and the strap is sewn to the band. same with the shooter itself.

Red Sweat Bands

Reference Picture:
yPPhoU1.jpg

Okay, so basically the web shooter bands on the homemade suit are red sweat bands with nylon straps on holding the cartridges on. As far as the web shooter cartriges and actual shooter reference the hot toys figure is just about as close as you're gonna get until the movie comes out. I suspect the nylon strap has the cartridge screwed onto it, and the strap is sewn to the band. same with the shooter itself.

Red Sweat Bands

Reference Picture:
View attachment 734494
OOOkay. That makes sense. I saw that picture up above and thought it might be someone's own build. That's gonna make this a lot easier. Thank you!

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but I modelled the webshooters for 3D printing, if anyone wants to try them out

Homemade Webshooters (lid) v2.pngHomemade Webshooters (lid) v21.png

Download stl: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1h3JuMp6PKLTkluenJQaGtQYnc/view?usp=sharing
Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/LQKETTWAT/spider-man-homecoming-homemade-webshooters

Currently they're like little containers that attach with magnets, since I'm working on the moving eye lenses, and I'm hoping to store the electronics and maybe the mechanics in them.

I also made a single solid one if anyone wants that too.
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1h3JuMp6PKLbDhzdU8tQjQxbmc/view?usp=sharing
Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/YJ9HZZZMM/spider-man-homemade-webshooter-solid

Last edited:
A few small updates on my V2 homemade suit - taking this one a lot slower to make sure everything looks perfect.

The hoodie I've ended up remaking 2 separate times. I've basically cornered the market on size XXSmall hoodies on Amazon.
pO0dgxN.jpg

The middle hoodie is an Angel Cola Men's Sleeveless Hoodie. Seems to be the popular choice for the suit. However, for my V3 hoodie, they were out of the XXSmall, so I ended up going with the FlatSeven Men's Slim Zip Up Hoodie and undoing the stitching on the sleeves. Both of the logos for V2 and V3 were made by @AABC1999. I tweaked the 3rd one in Photoshop a tad to even out the legs on both sides. Printed onto thick photo paper and cut out the logo with an X-Acto knife, and traced the logo onto the hoodie with fabric markers. Super happy with how it turned out. For V2 I was able to switch out the drawstring and attached metal aglets to the new lace, but for V3 it seems like the string is sewn in, so I used Sculpey for the aglets and sealed them up with a heat gun at my work.

Went with the Sockwa G4 shoes and the socks are Glenmuir Men's 1 Pair Birkdale Golf Wool Knee High Socks with Turn Over Cuff.
kt9RAFf.jpg

A fellow Spidey cosplayer on Instagram, FiveFourSpidey, found these perfect gloves that I'm going to be using. I also updated my blue sweatpants to Hanes 8 Oz Women's Comfortblend Fleece Pants in Carolina Blue. Perfect match now. Getting both tailored for a slim fit like the movie suit.

Last edited:
A few small updates on my V2 homemade suit - taking this one a lot slower to make sure everything looks perfect.

The hoodie I've ended up remaking 2 separate times. I've basically cornered the market on size XXSmall hoodies on Amazon.
View attachment 735496

The middle hoodie is an Angel Cola Men's Sleeveless Hoodie. Seems to be the popular choice for the suit. However, for my V3 hoodie, they were out of the XXSmall, so I ended up going with the FlatSeven Men's Slim Zip Up Hoodie and undoing the stitching on the sleeves. Both of the logos for V2 and V3 were made by @AABC1999. I tweaked the 3rd one in Photoshop a tad to even out the legs on both sides. Printed onto thick photo paper and cut out the logo with an X-Acto knife, and traced the logo onto the hoodie with fabric markers. Super happy with how it turned out. For V2 I was able to switch out the drawstring and attached metal aglets to the new lace, but for V3 it seems like the string is sewn in, so I used Sculpey for the aglets and sealed them up with a heat gun at my work.

Went with the Sockwa G4 shoes and the socks are Glenmuir Men's 1 Pair Birkdale Golf Wool Knee High Socks with Turn Over Cuff.
View attachment 735501

A fellow Spidey cosplayer on Instagram, FiveFourSpidey, found these perfect gloves that I'm going to be using. I also updates my blue sweatpants to Hanes 8 Oz Women's Comfortblend Fleece Pants in Carolina Blue. Perfect match now. Getting both tailored for a slim fit like the movie suit.

Post pics of the blue pieces when you get them!! I've had my eye on those for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming at least some of you guys are planning on wearing your suit to the Homecoming premiere when I ask: are you at all concerned with it being too hot? It just dawned on me that this movie is coming out in early July, and frankly I can't imagine I'd wear any of this costume in that heat. (Makes me kinda wonder how Peter manages..) That's kind of got me at a crossroads between making the suit from the movie or trying something as casual but more...breathable.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back