BTTF Question that I'm sure has an answer, but...

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is there any special significance that Marty's alarm is set to 10:28? I mean... who the hell sets their alarm for a random time like that? I assume it has some special meaning... maybe not.

Is there any special significance that Marty's alarm is set to 10:28? I mean... who the hell sets their alarm for a random time like that? I assume it has some special meaning... maybe not.

Hmmm... Oddly specific time IS oddly specific... I, too, would be curious to hear if there is any significance.

And why is it set at all for a Saturday morning, and why are his siblings going to the office on a Saturday?

i always wondered about 10:28 as well. me personally i have a problem with OCD and will only leave the house or set a alarm by 5 increments. if i need to be up for 7am. i set the alarm for 6:55am. maybe martys ocd is set by even numbers?

And why are his siblings there at the house, eating breakfast, dressed for professional jobs? Do his older siblings still live at home, and have careers? Or do they always get ready for work by stop by the parent's house to have breakfast first? An his father George, now a successful novelist, still resides in the little house under the power lines? With his BMW in the driveway?

An his father George, now a successful novelist, still resides in the little house under the power lines? With his BMW in the driveway?

I know this one! "A Match Made in Space" is George's first novel. He was a author before but not a novelist. He would have bought the house earlier in his career when he had less net worth. They just haven't gotten around to moving yet, probably because Marty is still in High School, so they don't want to switch districts. The BMW is obviously a recent purchase probably to celebrate the Novel.

Yeah I've always set my alarms for odd times. My theory is that it throws off the circadian rhythms enough to be more effective in waking you up. But that's me. It's gotta be someones inside joke.

It's like we're not even the same species. Just knowing that your alarms are set for 6:26 or 7:47 makes me uncomfortable.

I will admit my alarm rarely actually ever wakes me up. I usually wake up on my own about 20-30 minutes before it is set for (or lately an hour or two thanks to my baby), so it's just a safeguard. But its always on a 15 min mark...

If I recall, wasn't it one of those "flip" number clocks? I had one of those and to set the alarm, you had to turn a rotating dial to the approximate time. It was rare to get it exactly to a specific number as you just clicked it as close as you could to what you wanted.
That sounds like a good reason. Those things sucked for me cause i am like halliwax in this situation[emoji38] .

Alex

I was gonna say, can't someone with the same model of clock see how hard it is to set a time? I always set random odd/even times just before my initial wake time. I start work at 4pm, I usually set an alarm for 9:48, another at 9:54, one at 10:02, 10:09. I do it just to make the 5 minute intervals more annoying and random if I hit snooze

I have my alarm sets up for 6:27am. I do like round numbers, but it takes me a good 3 to 5 minutes to get motivated and get out of bed. So it's just to think that I might actually get out of bed for past 30? x)

vintage-panasonic-rc-6015-flip-clockradioalarm-back-to-the-future-hums_172083414394.jpg

This looks like the clock. I think this might have actually been the clock I owned and confirms, to me, my initial explanation. You set the alarm with that dial on the left. You basically set it as close as you could to the time you'd like and go with that. Setting it for "10:30" could easily be "10:28" on that style clock.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back