What super glue is best?

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been thinking of what super glue would be best for extreme long-term endurance. Most super glues I have seen, when they get old, simply break up and flake off, is there a super glue, or something similar, that can last years and years without this happening?

Loctite 300 or 400 series.

403 is a good one as its semi flexible once cured.
You can get it from a few places but I always use McMaster Carr.

Battlegrade, thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find that locally.

Tread, I keep telling you that human saliva only goes so far!

Loctite 300 or 400 series.

403 is a good one as its semi flexible once cured.
You can get it from a few places but I always use McMaster Carr.

I use that stuff, in the UK its called something like Loctite Powerflex Gel, there is a non gel version I think but its runnier and a bit messier than the gel.

I've never had any real problems with it over time, most are solved by giving it a good cure time.

One trick I have discovered is Loctite do a 2 part all plastics glue. The first part is a primer that you apply from what looks like a mini marker pen. I use that primer on plastic with the Loctite Gel and speeds up the cure time a wee bit and gives a very solid bond. I found it particularly useful on parts printed in PLA. (the all plastics is useful if you got a nasty vinyl part or something, mostly though it is one of those that will dry out flake off)

This has nothing to do with the glue itself, but I think the Gorilla Glue brand CA glue bottle is genius. There's a little metal rod in the top that inserts into the tip to keep it from clogging. The cap always seals tight and I can use the entire bottle to the last drop without it ever clogging up on me. The Zap-A-Gap bottle is retarded, especially that little detachable nozzle you press onto the top which is too long to fit inside the cap. Unless they've changed the design. I don't buy Zap-A-Gap anymore for that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

The generic "insta-cure" brand glue they sell at hobby shops now has the same bottle design as Gorilla Glue. So I buy that now.

I've used all sorts of superglue over the years and never had any of it fail over time. I've got models that are 20-30 years old that are still fine. Am I missing something here?

I use Zap A Gap as well. I'm not sure about longevity because none of my models are that old. I would assume that if it's in a house with good environmental control (AC, heat in the winter) that there wouldn't be a lot of flexing or anything that would break the glue bond.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back