CoD WaW: Wunderwaffe

Joker get your ass back in gear!.. this is too awesome a build to waste. Not to mention we need it! :p...damn i cant believe its 3yrs since I subbed this thread

As promised I'm getting back into the project! I've finally made a full scale blueprint, in all orthographic views, of each individual piece. Now I can tackle this monster in pieces and still feel like I've accomplished something. Since I've neglected this project like a deformed child of Sparta for the last couple years I decided to crank it up a notch. I'm now planning on including full working lights and sound to the piece. I've recessed some neodymium magnets in this part and in the body; this will hold the majority of the electronics and batteries for the gun and it will be detachable.
IMG_20140222_174635_339.jpgIMG_20140222_195938_061.jpgIMG_20140223_093554_460.jpgIMG_20140223_115832_222.jpgIMG_20140223_151513_944.jpg

Last edited:
Soo..I think I made this part in the mirror image of what it's supposed to be. Any comments on that? The knob is supposed to be on the same side as the tubes…so the left if you are looking down the sites…but in some reference images it appears that the knob is on the right. I'll pop the game in tonight and give it a proper once over…again. It's been so long since I've looked at the gun from the game it's probably time a reacquaint myself with it. Otherwise I'll have to redo the top half of this piece.

Good suggestion about the butt plate. As I recall, it was the stock from the M1 Garand model that was chopped down and used for the Wunderwaffe model, so the Garand butt plate would be a nice detail that helps to tie the piece to the setting.

I've been thinking about purchasing an M1 garand stock off EBAY. The one I made would need to be weathered and I still might not achieve the look of an actual garand stock. What do you guys think?

A quick update...

Gun:
I haven't been able to work on this as much as i'd like (traveling for work etc). But always trying to chip away at it. I bit the bullet as it were and bought a couple old m1 garand stocks. The one I made initially was just something I made up and I think using a real, old stock will give it a nice weathered look and a bit more realism. I'm gluing up some pieces now and if all goes to plan the main body of the gun should be done (unpainted) soonish. Details details details after that. Scared of the brass work - eeek.

Box:
Still planning on making the mystery box as well. I found a nice flattened file to work from for dimensions and details. I also found a clean audio file for the "pop goes the weasel" song for when the box opens. Seems like it should be a fairly simple pine box - if I can get it done sooner than later I think i'll leave it outside for a while to season. Anyone know what font they used for the stencils on the box? I'll likely have to make up my own...

zombie_treasure_box_c.iwi_out.jpg

Finished the blueprint for the box today. I based the scale off the scale of my gun and what I assumed was used in game for reference (lumber etc). Cross referenced with the flattened image in the previous post my design overlays quite nicely actually. I've been looking for some antique hardware that looks like what was used but I'm struggling to find a draw latch that looks like that. The closest thing I've found (which actually makes perfect sense) are some repro WWII German ammo crate latches, but it seems as though the company that sources them is out of business. Ideas? I've taken a good long look around the net but maybe I'm missing something.

Thinking about stenciling the "?"s in reflective paint... give it that glow look in the right lighting situations. White/yellow just seems a little too loud. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Also I've attached a copy of the BP I made in case anyone else wants to make a mystery box! Stencils too!

*bonus*
I have the audio file for the "ring around the Rosie" song the box plays when opened. The plan is to make a false bottom in the box that I can house a speaker, sound board and battery in. A switch will activate upon opening the box to play the file. Pretty excited about that.

Mystery Box Dimensions_Page_1.jpgView attachment stencil_to-scale.jpg

Attachments

• Mystery Box Dimensions.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
Well,

"finished" the mystery box this weekend! Sorry i don't have more process photos: i don't know where they went! If i find them I'll be sure to upload. Using the BP I posted in the previous post a built the box with a few added details! I know the stencil is really poor and the contrast is too too high. I still need to weather the whole box and some of that will mean taking down the stencil a bit.

Construction:

I still want the box to have fully working sound upon opening but I wanted to keep all the electronics totally hidden. The front right 2x2 conceals a magnetically controlled switch that will trigger the music to play when the box is opened. Not built yet will be a simple false bottom that houses all the electronics I will need to run this set up. I'm happy with the way the design turned out and I can't wait to put the gun in it! (once I've built it!!)

I also bought some antique hinges and a latch that haven't arrived yet but they will be great details I'm hoping!

Some details:

Not sure how I feel about this one - feedback would be cool. I know it's the mystery box but it will only be housing the Wunderwaffe. Since it is a Wunderwaffe I though it might be neat to have some period correct labels on the box. I hunted around the internet and found some cool shipping labels and ammunition labels used during the war and I created my own for the Waffe. All the info on the label is accurate to the Waffe but it appears in the style of a german ammo crate from WWII. Again, not weathered yet but the plan was to have this label along with a shipping manifest and maybe a personal note from Dr. Maxis to Richtofen. Thoughts? More images to come...

IMG_20140921_111021_864.jpgIMG_20140921_212728_082.jpgIMG_20140921_212844_361.jpgIMG_20140921_212851_873.jpgIMG_20140921_212914_322.jpg

I've aged the box with a vinegar/steel wool mixture (it executed very dark since i didn't cut it with water but i can live with it) and have started to bang it around a bit before blackwashing it etc. so that's in a good place. Back on the gun.

I'm a bit concerned about a couple things that maybe some of you out there can help confirm. I have 2 screenshots from the game that have some conflicting information about the prongs on the end. One image, of it in the box, clearly shows 5 prongs. The other image, from first person view tells me there are 6. it's also tough to track whats going on on the barrel as will - where are all the wires connected etc. let me know if you have any knowledge on this!

wunderwaffe_dg2.jpg400px-Wunderwaffe_DG-2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some WIP images I owe you! First the Box!

IMG_20140925_220158_130.jpgIMG_20140925_172219_049.jpgIMG_20140925_172211_848.jpgIMG_20140921_180306_134.jpgIMG_20140921_180250_925.jpgIMG_20140921_113432_442.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And the Waffe. Working on the details while bringing the larger pieces into primer. more to come... Also what do you guys think about the M1 stock? It's pretty different than the one I build from the image of the Waffe but I got feedback that the M1 was what was used for the Waffe. Not sure what direction to go...

IMG_20140926_105741_095.jpgIMG_20140926_105719_249.jpgIMG_20140925_220210_103.jpgIMG_20140925_172254_261.jpgIMG_20140921_210932_888.jpg

It looks to me like the first person image has 5 also. They're in a 'star' shape. I think you're imagining a sixth prong at the bottom that doesn't exist.
Hope that puts your mind at ease.

joker1231 said:
Also what do you guys think about the M1 stock? It's pretty different than the one I build from the image of the Waffe but I got feedback that the M1 was what was used for the Waffe. Not sure what direction to go...

I do recall that the game model was supposed to be built off an M1 Garand stock, and I do believe it actually started out with the same M1 Garand model from the game, but it is very likely that the proportions and scale got tweaked. It was built by the same artist who was responsible for the M1 Garand model as well. If anything, I would expect that at least the scale was tweaked. It can get a little tricky with 1st person shooters and perspective, so often the "pick up" models differ proportionately from the 1st person view models. Real scale doesn't matter so much as what "looks right".

It looks to me like the first person image has 5 also. They're in a 'star' shape. I think you're imagining a sixth prong at the bottom that doesn't exist.
Hope that puts your mind at ease.

I was thinking the same thing as you but if you look at the first person view you can see the the bottom left prong and the top right prong are directly across from each other which would elude to a 6 prong set up. Thoughts? I'm also worried about supporting all that brass/prongs since they are essentially cantilevered way over the barrel - keeping things parallel to the barrel seems like it could become an issue.

SpyderDan That's pretty cool, thanks for the information! the taller stock i made may look better proportionally from side view but the weathering and thicker width of the M1 stock make it the one to go with i think - and also my butt plate just came in the mail today!

Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at brazing. This piece has a lot of brass on it and I'm trying to make as many things as I can out of the proper materials (oh I wish I had a wood and or metal lathe!) so that should be interesting. To make the prongs the only idea i have right now is to make a 2 part mold of ply wood and sandwich the rod between them in a 2 ton garage press. The hollow tubing would be preferred but the press would almost certainly crush the tube and there are too many varying degree radii to use the hobby pipe bender i have. and suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not concerned with the 5 vs 6 prong issue. Looks like five to me. This is a bad example, but anyway............
Wonder.jpg

Those 2 rings should help provide the support for the brass assembly. As long as everything is brazed to the rings and then secured firmly at those few points, it should be ok. You wont know until you start experimenting with it a little.
That bottom strut is where you need all the support. It'll take all the weight. The top support will align everything.

I cant tell what's going on with the two side struts. Are they floating or connected somehow to the weapon? They'll definitely help to keep everything steady.

I like the star illustration! A confidence booster for sure. I also forgot I had the game...so I just played it to see...5 indeed. Yea unfortunately for me I believe those things are floating. I'm unsure how I'm going to keep things all squared up.

Amidst a job change and planning a move to Singapore I've tried to get some work done on the Waffe. There are so many little pieces and details that I just don't have the reference images at the resolution I need but I'm just getting done what I can. So far the brass work has been a huge fail so I've focused my attention on some other stuff for now. A lot of the bigger pieces are done (as far as model making goes) and now I'm wading through countless little pieces - which are really fun to work on! Laid out a little dry run to so you could see how it's all coming together.
IMG_20141217_013751_281.jpgIMG_20141217_013306_131.jpg

Started to mod the stock as well. It needs some body added to the top to make it work with my build so I'm doing that. You can see how it varies from the stock i originally made and how it will look when it's all put together. I'm worried it will look very dinky but I had to pull the trigger (did you like the pun?). forced it.
IMG_20141217_194113_863.jpgIMG_20141217_201331_571.jpgIMG_20141217_194214_392.jpg

*Update on me - skip if you aren't interested*

So it's really hot in Singapore. I've just about got my feet planted on solid ground after my job change and +/- 4 months of being here and as you can imagine I want to get this gun done! I only brought a suitcase and a backpack with me so needless to say I knew I wasn't going to be making any progress on the gun for a while.

Well I'm here for at least "a while" and it's frustrating to think that I'm not working on this saga of a project so I am getting done what I can. I've long since lost my license for the program I built the model in and to be completely honest I was never realllly confident about what scale I was working at! (I had 2 printouts about 10% different from eachother - I discovered that my early parts were built to one scale and my later parts to the other) so that kind of sucks. There isn't much more to build other than the brass work and the "rail" that goes along the top of the barrel. With access to a 3D printer I quickly modelled the rail and threw it in the printer the other day and checked it off my list of remaining parts! It will need some sanding and some paint but I'm really happy with the way it came out - I'll only know if it's the right scale when I go back to the states though!

IMG_20150417_143402.jpg

Depending on how long I stay here I may start a MKII. It would give me the chance to build a new 3D model - with all the learning from the first build and actually nail down a scale etc. It would be a lot of work but it may be worth it...still undecided. I really want to learn how to make moulds as well and this would give me the opportunity to build it in such a way that I could make moulds from it. We'll see.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back