Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

woud be interested in very large pics of the pipe,uncleaned,cleaned and of the box,it's a very cool item you have here!

Would ask opinion about this:

img_4010.jpg

does it lookk good ir is it too shiny?
was thinking about the original obi photos,and seems there is a shiny look on the cubes...

obiwan10.png

What it gives on saber:

img_4011.jpg

What do you think about it?

The shininess looks like it's just from being handled and used. However the rust doesn't look right either it's too rusty I think the best weathering and what most accurate I've seen so far is slothfurnace's blueing

Well let me tell you a story....
The Obi ANH saber was the first saber I really wanted, but had no idea what it was made from, as no good pics were available. Some theories included a motorbike grip (greande part), sink drain (balance pipe) and so forth. I had a Graflex and a Heiland (the MPP connection was undiscovered at the time), but no Obi to round it out. Marco's Obi was glaringly wrong to me, so I never bought it. My first was the original SD Studio one, which was sorta close, but not so much. But considering, it was the best of the time. Through my collecting of props, I have had the MOST versions of the Obi saber, because each one was better than the last. I have had a Parks, 2 Roman's, 3 or 4 SD Studios, a Yodahouse, one made from resin pieces with a plastic handwheel, one from Gary Tierce that was a remachined ICONS one, The MR one, and 2 from RussRep (one I had and sold long ago, and I am in on his new run). By FAR the best one has been the RussRep one. Even though Roman's is sourced from the same parts, the feel of the steel and something about the geometry of the RussRep edges out Roman's just a little bit. Roman is definately a close #2 though. To weather my first RussRep one I beat the crap out of it after it was all assembled. Went after it with a blowtorch and a pair of pliers, got Medieval on it. And I loved the way it turned out. I will go Torquemada on the second one as well.

Lets give credit where credit is due. Without serafino, Howard, and Mr Sparkle (designers of russrep's parts) we would not have the accurate parts we have today.

Amen to that, not to mention the hours of searching old catalogs, photos and whatnot. I for one am very grateful for all the discoveries of the parts.

Thanks,I too,prefer this version,I don't know,but on the original pictures it seems there are deep rust spots on the grenade,but "cleaned" by use.
What looks strange are the kind of damages on the emitter,and it's not easy to see on a so small picture.
And,once again,no way to find larger pictures of this saber the 3 black and white archive photos...

Being B&W I'd say that's a hard call on the rust side. What I'd say is that on mine it looks like it was painted at some point the main body would have been black, and a red painted ring round the top of the pineapple grip part, a lot of the paint is worn but there is no rust. There are what look like patches of what I can only describe as a battery acid like look in one or two of the deep recesses. The combination of colours the Steely blue, black paint and this whitish stuff would possibly give the look in a photo like that of rust?
Not sure how the damage would have occurred on the emitter the balance pipe is pretty sturdy, maybe it was done when removing from the engine?
I still have to clean mine up for photographing.

Lets give credit where credit is due. Without serafino, Howard, and Mr Sparkle (designers of russrep's parts) we would not have the accurate parts we have today.

Serafino's measurements and digital booster files were made from my original booster.

So all you guys with a Russ booster actually have my booster.

Marv,

Do you have more pictures of the box and part numbers and all info? I am talking to a seller of an engine and we're trying to determine how likely it is his engine has the right balance pipes.

- - - Updated - - -

Serafino's measurements and digital booster files were made from my original booster.

Cool! Now I wish mine were steel instead of aluminum though.

Thats cool to know. I've got one of the pre-russ serafino run boosters.
Okay, lets give James Kenobi 1138 some due credit as well.
....and Killdozer for identifying that part in the first place. ;)

Last edited:
I have a steel balance pipe weathered by Boba Dett....Definitely not a romans, but it does have the angled inner ring, and is pretty spot on to an original...Rylo Grenade body, original clamp and a more modern AS handwheel...still wondering what to do for the neck...

woud be interested in very large pics of the pipe,uncleaned,cleaned and of the box,it's a very cool item you have here!

Would ask opinion about this:

View attachment 178580

does it lookk good ir is it too shiny?
was thinking about the original obi photos,and seems there is a shiny look on the cubes...

View attachment 178581

What it gives on saber:

View attachment 178582

What do you think about it?

The shinyness on the outside of the rings of the grenade are due to the harsh lighting in that particular picture ... and not that the paint is removed.

-Chaim

I have a steel balance pipe weathered by Boba Dett....Definitely not a romans, but it does have the angled inner ring, and is pretty spot on to an original...
I'm pretty sure yours is a Russrep. I remember that particular one.

The shinyness on the outside of the rings of the grenade are due to the harsh lighting in that particular picture ... and not that the paint is removed.
I agree with Chaim about it being the lighting in those particular photos. For instance, here is my unfinished saber loosely put together for a quick picture (on top):
(Edit: I'll take a better photo when it's put together completely.)

My grenade is still covered in matte black paint/oil/whatever from over the years. The combination of overhead lighting, camera flash, and B&W nature of the photo make the middle section of cubes look bare when they are not.

However, note that in the third Chronicles photo, it does seem that some of the paint/bluing is missing from wear on a handful of cubes.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure yours is a Russrep. I remember that particular one.

I agree with Chaim about it being the lighting in those particular photos. For instance, here is my unfinished saber loosely put together for a quick picture (on top):
http://i.imgur.com/HStD34I.jpg

My grenade is still covered in matte black paint/oil/whatever from over the years. The combination of overhead lighting, camera flash, and B&W nature of the photo make the middle section of cubes look bare when they are not.

However, note that in the third Chronicles photo, it does seem that some of the paint/bluing is missing from wear on a handful of cubes.

Seems saber on top is painted,because the shape of cubes doesn't seem very neat.
If real grenade,maybe it has been restored.
The worst scenario:
-found,then cleaned,I mean,grinded to a white color,painted black,and warnished
The best scenarion
-found and just cleaned using a metallic brush,by hand,and then protected using black paint or warnish
Even best
-found,uncleaned,just protected using frameto,but then,no shiny look

Seems yours may be the second one,but it's just what I can think after seeing this photo.

but bottom has no paint,easu to see not glossy,just used by hand on the cubes,no more.
The golden color near the emitter makes me think the foot of grenade was here,and the cap too.
I think the grenade was found quite soon after the war,or kept in a storage,with air rust only,no under earth rust,like actual dug items.
if dug,was dug wuite soon,if not even in the 70's it would be more rusty.
but I'm sure the grenade was rusty,because painting would have other look,and the colored rings would be visible,even on a bkacl and white photo,especially the red ring.

Serenity,for you photo,you can try to take it about one metter farther,and with bigger zoom,will flatten the image and give even closer result.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back