Solo: A Star Wars Story

OMG!!!! I wonder if that makes you go Ludacris Speed? LOL!!!

:lol I knew someone else would see what I saw! OUTSTANDING!
lightspeedis-too-slow-well-have-to-go-right-to-ludicrous-speed-13609640.png
I was actually expecting to see a can of liquid schwartz to be inserted into the Falcon at one point.

Hold up there pardner. I have seen no evidence that anyone on this forum has ever been belittled for liking something. But folks who don't like something have been name called, ridiculed, and told that their opinions don't matter and are not wanted.

Well, that would be a fine point if it wasn’t completely inaccurate. In fact, most of the people who hit “like” on your post have been downright hostile to Bryan, including specifically calling him names like “shill” for liking the new films - both in this thread and in others. So if you are being sincere when you say you “have seen no evidence that anyone on this forum has ever been belittled for liking something”, then my best guess is that you haven’t been reading any of these threads with any regularity.

Bryan’s a big boy, can take care of himself, and manages to deal with it with a resilient good humor that I admire. But it doesn’t change the fact that it happens, and certain of the regular players in these threads are consistently bad actors about it.

M

This makes me a little more optimistic. If it's fun and at least as competent as Rogue One I'll be fine with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it amazing how I can see somebody's opinions of Star Wars and instantly know where they are on the political spectrum too.

And I find it amazing how someone can openly admit that they hated the PT so much that they deliberately went on the internet to ruin the experience for others then post in the TLJ thread that they utterly detest fanboy crybabies assuming ownership and and agency over Star Wars.

I find it amazing how I can see somebody's opinions of Star Wars and instantly know where they are on the political spectrum too.

That claim sounds ‘ intriguing ‘ Seth ... kinda like ( sort of , maybe - but not exactly mind you ) ... how a persons ‘ SWIQ ‘ might be judged .
Purely out of curiosity ( and for fun ) , any chance you could tell me where i sit on this spectrum ?

:cheersGed

Well... just got back from seeing it. Here are a few thoughts:

First of all, AE as Han Solo... he did a few things that made me think "Yeah, that's Han Solo"... but it was the exception, not the rule. For the most part, the suspension of disbelief was needed to get through the movie watching this guy as Han. It was a bit like watching a true story knowing it's an actor playing a part.

The entire film had a poor timing as far as acts, climax, etc. It definitely had the feeling of a film made by too many cooks.

Some things that annoyed me:

One of the things going through my head throughout the entire film was how great it was to have a Star Wars movie with no Jedi, no Force, no Lightsabers... and then Darth Freakin' Maul shows up... completely out of place.

An Imperial recruitment officer gives Han his last name? That seemed VERY stupid. Han's time in the Imperial forces seemed very forced. So he's thrown out of the flight academy for "having a mind of his own"... he's now in infantry, mouths off to officers and acts like it's his first battle "three years later"? The "Legends" storyline is just so much better.

No explanation of how the interior of the Falcon gets so fubar in so short a time.

I liked the banter between Han and Chewie. That worked quite well. And Glover did a great job as Lando. He sounded like BDW so many times throughout the film, it just made me sad think we could have had the same for Han with Ingruber.

Production design was great. They seemed to reuse a LOT of previously designed blasters and costumes instead of giving everyone their own new piece.

One big gripe I've got with the film is Han Solo is pretty much a great guy, a hero, good moral character, saves the day... then some how becomes a self-centered jerk a few years later. There were SO MANY opportunities to make Han "snap" towards the end so at least we have some explanation of how he becomes the ANH Han.

All in all, I think the average viewer will enjoy it for the action and laughs. The hard-core OT fan will have a lot of issues with it, though.

My two cents,
Magnoli

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back