Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

Awesome I need this [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Holy crap! This turned out amazing!

And not just because of the more accurate shape. The less-saturated fabric looks so much closer to what's seen on screen. That said, I'd still like to see the sample you mentioned they were also making in the more saturated fabric they already had.

This might be nitpicking Indy Magnoli, but the stitch line going around the dome of the cap is creating a thinner gap than the screen used one. Its easy to spot if you compare it to the picture Jedifyfe posted at the top of the page. However I do not have experience making caps so this might be an improvement to the design for better durability. But if it can be altered then it would be an appreciated fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holy crap! This turned out amazing!

And not just because of the more accurate shape. The less-saturated fabric looks so much closer to what's seen on screen. That said, I'd still like to see the sample you mentioned they were also making in the more saturated fabric they already had.
Indy Magnoli, I second the notion of perhaps seeing another cap in the more saturated fabric.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll see if I can get some shots comparing the two fabrics as finished hats. In the mean time, here is another angle:

Uxky1dr.jpg

Here is the updated prototype next to the original sample:

vDGxKhZ.jpg

What a difference a good pattern makes!

They weren't able to fix that bottom stitch. I'm waiting to hear back if that was just an issue for these prototype or whether it'd be a limitation for the entire run as well.

I think at this point it's safe to say that you have accomplished what the mainstream companies couldn't. With real dedication to the original prop a proper replica has been produced. Down to even getting the right color of stitching. I can guarantee that the amount of research DS put into their cap wasn't even 1/4 of what you put in. Their prep work was most likely a couple of google searches at most.

Last edited:

I think at this point it's safe to say that you have accomplished what the mainstream companies couldn't. With real dedication to the original prop a proper replica has been produced. Down to even getting the right color of stitching. I can guarantee that the amount of research DS put into their cap wasn't even 1/4 of what you put in. Their prep work was most likely a couple of google searches at most.
Would these parameters qualify the new hat as a work of art? I certainly think so.

Just a reminder... Indy will start an interest thread if/when he is ready so let's please keep the pricing and interest posts out of this research thread. Thanks.

Absolutely stunning work. Would be great if it comes with the lenticular under the visor as well. That's my main issue with the diamond select cap at the moment (not the only one though).

Absolutely stunning work. Would be great if it comes with the lenticular under the visor as well. That's my main issue with the diamond select cap at the moment (not the only one though).

Yes, it has lenticular on the both sides of the brim. We're also shaping the brim BEFORE we add the material, so there is no buckling of the lenticular under the brim.

Here's the interst thread in the Project Runs section of the Junkyard: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=290290&p=4458636#post4458636

Yes, it has lenticular on the both sides of the brim. We're also shaping the brim BEFORE we add the material, so there is no buckling of the lenticular under the brim.

Here's the interst thread in the Project Runs section of the Junkyard: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=290290&p=4458636#post4458636

Indy, please note that BOTH threads in the pic below are advertised by their manufacturers as "light blue." It appears that the factory is at present using a thread of a light baby/powder blue which appears almost white in your pics. The correct light blue thread as used on the caps is a more intense/saturated aqua/turquoise/cyan blue, as in the sample on the right of the pic.

BTTF_2_Cap_Thread.png

If they could use a thread of the more accurate shade, that would be great. I'm still in either way, but if there's enough time to adjust small things like this, why not.

Attachments

• BTTF_2_Cap_Thread.png
    BTTF_2_Cap_Thread.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 59

Are there going to be 2 hat styles offered? The smaller brim looks cool too :)

Here is the updated prototype next to the original sample:

https://i.imgur.com/vDGxKhZ.jpg

What a difference a good pattern makes!

They weren't able to fix that bottom stitch. I'm waiting to hear back if that was just an issue for these prototype or whether it'd be a limitation for the entire run as well.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back