Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Empire Strikes Back? That seems to be the one movie that is universally praised. In my nerd circles, I dont know anyone that doesnt like it, and its ALWAYS regarded as the best one.

Not ALWAYS. ANH is still my favorite and is often favored by those of us who were old enough to see it in theater in '77 and be part of that initial magic.

Agreed but that was a long time ago...pre-internet. Now everyone has a voice [emoji14]

I recall my dad not liking ESB back in the day. He said it all looks fake!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

True. Stupid internet. Then again if there wasnt internet I wouldnt be talking to all you fine people!

I watched all the movies again the other night, and one scene that was pretty clunky to me was when Vader uses the force and breaks apart objects to hit Luke with. Granted it was 1980 but I felt lukes flailing was so labored and off. I know Vader wasnt trying to kill him, but still. That was the only scene where I was like "huh, I remember this differently".

- - - Updated - - -

Not ALWAYS. ANH is still my favorite and is often favored by those of us who were old enough to see it in theater in '77 and be part of that initial magic.
I envy all you old timers. ;) Hell when you saw it in theaters it wasnt even A New Hope, it was just THE STAR WARS!!! Lucky duck.

Even if this film doesn't suck balls, it's gonna be pretty jarring to see different actors playing these much loved characters within the context of SW continuity.
They clearly felt continuity with Tarkin was important but this is a main character so, er, f.... It!
Its one thing to cast younger versions of old actors, X-Men for example, but to re-cast actors from forty years back and try to slot that movie into the existing time line is reason enough to blow this film out as a bad idea. Everyone, back to the drawing board and this time have some imagination. There's an entire galaxy out there!

Can you imagine a Star Wars movie that actually satisfied everyone? The mind boggles.....
I would be fine with anything, as long as it's a well made film and a well made story. As long as it's imaginative and tries to expand the galaxy. As long as it doesn't rely on nostalgia or the same plots of earlier films. And as long as it does that, while fitting into the same universe of the earlier work.

Disney really needs to grow a pair, get their feet wet and make a star wars story that has nothing to do with a Skywalker, the death star or the empire.

Once they actually commit to this and make a star wars story taking place in a different time period, with a different antagonist then I will admit they deserve this opportunity

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would be fine with anything, as long as it's a well made film and a well made story. As long as it's imaginative and tries to expand the galaxy. As long as it doesn't rely on nostalgia or the same plots of earlier films. And as long as it does that, while fitting into the same universe of the earlier work.

Disney really needs to grow a pair, get their feet wet and make a star wars story that has nothing to do with a Skywalker, the death star or the empire.

Once they actually commit to this and make a star wars story taking place in a different time period, with a different antagonist then I will admit they deserve this opportunity

I liked TFA and R1 but totally see your point.

Starting a new story based 1000 years earlier when the Jedi were young would probably be a good idea for Disney. Sort of a clean slate in the same Universe.

No film, inside the franchise or out, has ever matched or will ever match Star Wars (ANH), let alone top it.

The Empire Strikes Back, while also a masterpiece, will always be runner-up on my list.

The Wook

I envy all you old timers. ;) Hell when you saw it in theaters it wasnt even A New Hope, it was just THE STAR WARS!!! Lucky duck.

Mann Valley Circle Theater, long gone now.
Lines would wrap around the building so that part sucked. LOL
That and trying to get parents to understand why someone would ever want to see the same movie again and again and again.

v-1.jpg

Mann Valley Circle Theater, long gone now.
Lines would wrap around the building so that part sucked. LOL
That and trying to get parents to understand why someone would ever want to see the same movie again and again and again.

https://oneradiantlife.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/v-1.jpg?w=600

I generally prefer theaters with grand marquees, but I gotta say I love the mid-century design of this building! Where was the Mann Valley Circle located?

The Wook

Of course I should have known I would have been corrected by the seniors of the RPF. :rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

I generally prefer theaters with grand marquees, but I gotta say I love the mid-century design of this building! Where was the Mann Valley Circle located?

The Wook
Hey Wook, do you remember the theater that was in Mission Valley, there are just condos there now, but it was that one theater that showed a single movie? Now of course its a bunch of condos... My dad took me to see King Kong Lives there when I was a kid. :lol CessnaDriver post reminded me of that theater.

Last edited by a moderator:

I liked TFA and R1 but totally see your point.

Starting a new story based 1000 years earlier when the Jedi were young would probably be a good idea for Disney. Sort of a clean slate in the same Universe.

You know what other rule they should try to adhere to? That the battle of endor was the largest battle in the time line.

They should never try to top it. It was the most monumental political change since order 66. And the rise of the empire was cumulation of everything the sith had been working toward for a millennia.

So ideally, Disney will tell other types of stories. Different types of conflict. If they just try to top the empire and the death star, it will get old fast. (I realize they have already done that)

I'm a big Stargate fan. And when SG1 finally defeated the goa'uld, the lucient alliance was the logical next enemy. and then when they kicked the hornet's nest of the ori, all hell broke loose. It was a perfect, logical, world-building kind of storytelling.

Of course I should have known I would have been corrected by the seniors of the RPF. :rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Wook, do you remember the theater that was in Mission Valley, there are just condos there now, but it was that one theater that showed a single movie? Now of course its a bunch of condos... My dad took me to see King Kong Lives there when I was a kid. :lol @CessnaDriver post reminded me of that theater.

I do. I saw the last film ever shown there, before it was closed and the building was razed. It was The Godfather, circa 1997-98. That building, also mid-century modern in its design, looked like the one @CessnaDriver posted. I wonder if it's the same one. The theater was enormous, seating 1,000 people!

The Wook

Han Solo is like Boba Fett, or Wolverine, or even Darth Vader (separate from Anakin Skywalker) for that matter. They lose their coolness fast as soon as they start getting beyond a supporting/ensemble role. These characters are not the kind that benefit from doing much growing & changing.

Empire Strikes Back? That seems to be the one movie that is universally praised. In my nerd circles, I dont know anyone that doesnt like it, and its ALWAYS regarded as the best one.

I saw ESB at the age of 9 the week it was released. It was always 3rd on my list. To me, as a kid, it was 2 hours of my hero's getting their asses handed to them over and over. Hard to overcome that. To this day, though, i do like it more each time i see it. It's presently tied for 2nd now :)

I saw ESB at the age of 9 the week it was released. It was always 3rd on my list. To me, as a kid, it was 2 hours of my hero's getting their asses handed to them over and over. Hard to overcome that. To this day, though, i do like it more each time i see it. It's presently tied for 2nd now :)
Even when I was 6, it was my favorite. I was big into sledding and snowmobiling and hoth was the place I wanted to be the most.

Han Solo is like Boba Fett, or Wolverine, or even Darth Vader (separate from Anakin Skywalker) for that matter. They lose their coolness fast as soon as they start getting beyond a supporting/ensemble role. These characters are not the kind that benefit from doing much growing & changing.

And that's.....Jenga;)

Han Solo's story growing up and becoming the legend?...Please God kill me. Remember the scene in the Cantina with Han and his lady friend that was cut? Too much focus on a single supporting character is poison.

Disney will get my money for it sure, but it's a one trick pony. What's next?....Tarrkin's training years at the academy of despots?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Disney will destroy SW by dilution.

Wolverine is a prime example. In a collective his story is awesome, but all his focus movies are s.h.i.t.

And that's.....Jenga;)

Han Solo's story growing up and becoming the legend?...Please God kill me. Remember the scene in the Cantina with Han and his lady friend that was cut? Too much focus on a single supporting character is poison.

Disney will get my money for it sure, but it's a one trick pony. What's next?....Tarrkin's training years at the academy of despots?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Disney will destroy SW by dilution.

Wolverine is a prime example. In a collective his story is awesome, but all his focus movies are s.h.i.t.
As I keep telling friends of mine. They will be shocked at the speed Disney will kill this franchise

The Wook

This was in San Diego, Mission Valley, near the mall there, tore it all down and now there is just foodie places or something.
There is actually a list of every movie and when it was there. Star Wars returned there in 1997, that was pretty cool...
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18164

03/30/77 … BLACK SUNDAY (8 weeks)
05/25/77 … STAR WARS (37 weeks)
02/10/78 … STAR WARS (20 weeks, 70mm-Dolby Stereo)
06/28/78 … HEAVEN CAN WAIT (16 weeks)

Stunning how looooooooong it stayed there. 57 weeks total!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back