Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

I just looked through a ton of flag patches online, and I could only find one that was incorrectly made in the same way as the Hopper flag patch.

Io5gPDU.jpg

The best thing would be for somebody to do a run of Hopper-correct flag patches and sell them on Ebay and Etsy.

Last edited:
Dr Jones - thanks !- I have only worked with the worbla a few times - I had a hard time- there is a definite learning curve. I put a link earlier in this thread to the model revolver I bought. I bought the flag through amazon and totally missed it I guess. I was going by convention- (maybe I saw a another photo with it backwards?) I can try to find the link for the badge company and post if you want? They had both directions available. Overall I was pleased with the outcome but I was trying to put it together more for fun and a Halloween party. Some of it wasn’t up to the accuracy standards held on this forum. But I had fun doing it and I hoped some of the elements would be helpful. Thanks! Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The details are on the Movie Firearms Data Base

Stranger Things - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

They say

Season 1: Smith & Wesson Model 66, stainless steel, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel, walnut grips (I just found this photo online, it's not the actual prop)

jTdkyYX.jpg

Here's a screen shot showing the reverse side of the revolver, notice the grip on that side has a concave cutaway called a "speed loader cutout"

qtGuY4Z.jpg

Here's a pair of early 1980s walnut grips where you can see the difference between the two grips. The left grip has a "speed loader cutout"

eudupjW.jpg

(The airsoft pistol Allen Hawk linked to earlier is a dead ringer for this S&W66)

Season 2: Coly Python, nickel plated, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel, checkered walnut grips with gold Colt medallions (I just found this photo online, it's not the actual prop)

RVF9813.jpg

A screen-shot showing the reverse of the revolver. You can see that the grip on that side has the convex curve like the one on the other side, it doesn't have a "speed loader cutout"

xvcRJs8.png

I see that due to the popularity of Rick Grimes prop Colt Pythons in nickel are widely available, but they have the 6 inch barrel, not the 4 inch barrel of the Hopper Python.

Here's a resin one on Amazon; we would have to chop the barrel.

51iacXXLvfL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

EDIT: What I ended up doing was buying one of those $25 Rick Grimes airsoft Colt Pythons with the 6 inch barrel, taking it completely apart, removing every ferrous bit so that it can pass through a metal detector, chopping the barrel, and gluing the whole thing back together.

Here's the process.

aLZ6lH2.jpg

Attachments

• eudupjW.jpg
    eudupjW.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Does this badge have the slightly domed/curved or 3-D look of real police badges?

I ask because I picked one up from "costumebase" on Ebay and it's nice but it looks too flat or one-dimensional. I'm thinking of returning it.

Is yours the one from commissionedcredentials.com?

Yeah, the badge I have is from commissioned credentials. The badge is a nice solid metal and has a slight curve to it.

Alright, any thoughts on the watch Hopper is wearing?

Hey all! Been watching the thread for sometime; putting together my own Hopper costume. Anyhow, I've found what I believe to be the watch Chief Hopper wears! Looks to be a Timex Atlantis 100. It doesn't come with a compass on the band, but that can easily be purchased from Amazon or several other companies for under $10. Here's some photos I used for comparison alongside the Timex Atlantis 100:

stranger things pic2.png8e62d856c60c332885930d37baca255e.jpg8252ec5a37c3b9fa10f436d320027f68.jpg

Last edited:
Find the correct compass you jerk. Jk, we are friends.

It's true...unfortunately we are friends... XD

Anyhoo... I'll be honest, I'm not sure if it's entirely accurate, but the watchband compass I bought was a NDUR Watchband Compass. I've seen them run from $4-$7 on average.
ndr-compasswatch.jpgndr-compasswatch1.jpg

Looks like his has more of a square case.

Here's a better pic of it

ColLJoOWAAAraMa.jpg

And yeah, I think benhs1898 is correct. Here are some other options of what are available on amazon:

This one's an "XS SCUBA" watchband compass:
41-DWBv2tgL.jpg

...and then there's the SE-CCV15 Watchband Compass:
81DY7NHRPRL._SL1500_.jpg

Again, can't narrow down what the actual face on his compass looks like, but these look like good options nonetheless.

Last edited:
Does this badge have the slightly domed/curved or 3-D look of real police badges?

I ask because I picked one up from "costumebase" on Ebay and it's nice but it looks too flat or one-dimensional. I'm thinking of returning it.

Is yours the one from commissionedcredentials.com?

You may also want to check out Space Cadet Collective. Got my badge from him and couldn't be more impressed. He's got two versions, brushed gold and shiny gold.

https://spacecadetcollective.com/pins/stranger-things-badge-brushed

Hey all! Been watching the thread for sometime; putting together my own Hopper costume. Anyhow, I've found what I believe to be the watch Chief Hopper wears! Looks to be a Timex Atlantis 100. It doesn't come with a compass on the band, but that can easily be purchased from Amazon or several other companies for under $10. Here's some photos I used for comparison alongside the Timex Atlantis 100:

View attachment 777837View attachment 777835View attachment 777836

Wow thanks so much for hunting that down! Awesome. (And I saw what you did there... 'watching' this thread indeed!)

Last edited:
Yeah, the badge I have is from commissioned credentials. The badge is a nice solid metal and has a slight curve to it.

I'm returning the other one, it's too flat and funky.

Suddenly a load of these "Bam Box" badges have shown up on Ebay, they weren't there a couple days ago. They look pretty legit. I ordered one today.

bam box badge stranger things | eBay

Update: Got the Bam Box badge. It's very different from the first one I got. I tried to photograph the two of them as best I could to show the flatness of the first one. In some lighting they don't look as different- I purposely photographed them to show them looking as different as possible.

kfZhSCx.jpg

sE3254U.jpg

The level of detail as you can see is better on the flat badge, but the 3-D badge looks more "real" to me.

Here's what I have so far...

This vintage Akubra hat has je ne sais quoi that none of the new hats I've looked at quite had; it's been places. I need to paint in the dark band around the base of the crown.

I removed the buttons and opened up the false buttonholes on the pocket-flaps of the Flying Cross shirt; Hopper rarely buttons the pockets. The pen is cream but looks white here.

Just a normal regulation US flag patch for now, I'm sewing a golden yellow border on the Hopper-like flag patch I bought, which will be very close to screen-accurate.

I ironed the shirt trying to flatten out the pre-pressed-in pleats as best I could. Note in the screen photo in the post below that they've pressed the pleats nearly out in the screen shirt.

5ErcOqX.jpg

EDIT: for comparison here is my updated costume as of October 2020. Differences are a Stetson Stratoliner in Caribou, a Tex Shoemaker holster, and a cut-down Rick Grimes airsoft revolver.

560Y3p4.jpg

Attachments

• XDpuPNc.jpg
    XDpuPNc.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Yes indeed! He wears the undershirt by itself in some scenes.

(BTW you can see other officers wearing the non-regulation flag patches.)

600px-STS1E05_33.jpg

I'm going with the (non-authentic) short sleeve undershirt due to the high temperatures at our local Cons. Won't matter as I'm wearing the police shirt over it.

In fact I was thinking of cutting down the undershirt into sort of a Dickie, sewing it into the police shirt perhaps. It can be very hot here, 116 degrees at one Con I attended.

Last edited:
Here's my Atlantis 100 with the compass. I think it fits the bill. I was going between that and the vintage Ironman Triathalon, but the Atlantis has the right looking case color and button configuration.

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back