Luke ANH lightsaber - quick and easy

spoudastis

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finished this build up about a year ago and wanted to get some pics up of the final outcome. I bought the graflex in 2014 just as prices were starting to rise, i saw them go from $150 (which i thought was expensive) to $200 in 3 months. I was able to get mine for $175 which came tarnished and a little dirty but i love it and think it is perfect for a Luke ANH that looks used and appropriate to the movie.

I used Gino grips, calc bubble from philip over at rebelscum.com, and a handmade d-ring and strap based on @Sym-Chas measurements and templates.

The hardest part by far was constructing the d-ring and strap. At the time Roy was not yet offering his and i can tell you i would buy his in a second rather than build my own again. I used this thread in which sym-cha posted reference as a guide http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=103270. He mentions that he used 2.5mm wire to made the d-ring which let me tell you is impossible to find in the states. I looked literally everywhere for an 1" o-ring or d-ring that i could modify with 2.5mm wire, and it just did not exist until....one day i searched "2.5mm o-ring" on google and 6 pages into the search i found a place that had 1" o-rings with 2.5mm wire. it turned out to be a canadian site that sold hardware for fetish leather works. ok well no matter, i bought a bag and it was just what i needed. I cut a segment out of the o-ring with my dremel and spent the next 2 hours shaping it (2.5mm wire is tough to bend!) to match sym-cha's template, but in the end it turned out perfect.

photo%202.jpg
photo%203.jpg mine is the bottom right. the two on the left were d-rings i purchased but you can see how the thicker wire does not look right.

Next came the strap. The strap was way more difficult to make. It started off as a strip of stainless steel .457mm x 25.4mm (k&s #87161). I had to buy a special metal cutting disk for my dremel and after that rough cut to the approximate dimensions provided by Chaim, it wasnt pretty at that time. I then bent the stainless over a piece of wire the same dimension as the d-ring and used a chisel with some cloth on the end and tapped with a mallet to tightly form the stainless around the wire. After 45min of grinding, filing, and sanding to the correct shape I came up with what you see below.

image.jpg

I initially was going to fasten it with the hex head screw because i was nervous about riveting but in the end i went the rivet route.

IMG_2634.JPG

After i installed the d-ring and strap it was time for the grips. The grips are from Gino and they are fantastic. I first cut them to length and marked them with masking tape for the correct back angle. I heard many people file them down but i found using a steady hand and a dremel to be way cleaner and faster.

IMG_1649.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG

After i cut the grips i used the template on partsofstarwars.com to mark the proper location and spacing. cut the paper template a little short to mark the top and bottom placement of the grips.

IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2637.JPG IMG_2638.JPG

I used E600 to glue on the grips which worked perfectly. I was nervous at first because it says E6000 stays flexible, but that is a relative term and it stuck them on hard as a rock quickly enough so that by the time i turned the saber to put on the next grip, the previous one was already fixed in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2637.JPG
    IMG_2637.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
After installing the bubbles, the grips, and the d-ring and strap this bad boy was pretty much done. I did weather it a bit by using MIG weathering powders on the grips which i mostly wiped off just leaving some dirtiness in the crevices. here it is all finished up next to my obiwan.

IMG_2908.JPG

I finally built up a base for it not too long ago out of a piece of walnut and some acylic that i lasercut. I really wanted to display this as a piece of sculpture so i decided to mount it vertically. To fix the acrylic to the walnut i made a notch and just epoxied them together, a mechanical connection would have been more satisfying but time did not allow.

IMG_3778.JPG IMG_3779.JPG IMG_3780.JPG IMG_3782.JPG

on my shelf

IMG_3793.JPG

Thanks for looking! this was a really fun and fast build which desite the simplicity is really impressive in its details in person.

Last edited:
Nice build thread, it looks awesome! I finally got around to cutting my Gino grips and Exactra bubbles recently, and I've got Roy's D-ring/strap, just gotta slap it all together!

Excellent build ... and I love that D-ring ... though I must add my D was made from a 2.5mm wire circled around a rod several times and then cut and bend to a D ... not an O-ring as you used, which I can imagine is quite difficult to shape into a D. Still it makes me proud to see a custom D + strap on Luke's lightsaber :)

Chaim

After installing the bubbles, the grips, and the d-ring and strap this bad boy was pretty much done. I did weather it a bit by using MIG weathering powders on the grips which i mostly wiped off just leaving some dirtiness in the crevices. here it is all finished up next to my obiwan.

View attachment 597480

I finally built up a base for it not too long ago out of a piece of walnut and some acylic that i lasercut. I really wanted to display this as a piece of sculpture so i decided to mount it vertically. To fix the acrylic to the walnut i made a notch and just epoxied them together, a mechanical connection would have been more satisfying but time did not allow.

View attachment 597481 View attachment 597482 View attachment 597483 View attachment 597484

on my shelf

View attachment 597487

Thanks for looking! this was a really fun and fast build which desite the simplicity is really impressive in its details in person.

Very nice job! Looks great!

I like that stand! Where'd you get the plaque from?

Check out FeezleNuts here on RPF, he makes cool custom plaques

Awesome. The Graflex was perfect and it really came out great. Nice work. The stand is cool too. You don't see many vertical stands.

Nice build thread, it looks awesome! I finally got around to cutting my Gino grips and Exactra bubbles recently, and I've got Roy's D-ring/strap, just gotta slap it all together!

thanks, glad you like it, good luck with your build!

I like that stand! Where'd you get the plaque from?

thanks. I used @Pastorjedi for the plaque. He is quick, affordable, and the plaques look great.

Excellent build ... and I love that D-ring ... though I must add my D was made from a 2.5mm wire circled around a rod several times and then cut and bend to a D ... not an O-ring as you used, which I can imagine is quite difficult to shape into a D. Still it makes me proud to see a custom D + strap on Luke's lightsaber :)

Chaim

thanks Chaim! Very kind of you to share you templates with the community, they were essential to making it possible to construct a nice d-ring for the Luke ANH.

Very nice job! Looks great!

Check out FeezleNuts here on RPF, he makes cool custom plaques

thank you!

Awesome. The Graflex was perfect and it really came out great. Nice work. The stand is cool too. You don't see many vertical stands.

thanks! The stand was was fun to make and I agree, I like that it is a unique way to display the saber. I'll be making one for my obiwan as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back