Game of Thrones

Stannis was already a kinslayer thanks to offing Renly, which is the worst thing you can be in that culture short of being an oathbreaker. Sure, he didn't have any love for Renly or Gendry but they were still kin and he still did terrible things to them in the name of taking what's his by destiny so why would sacrificing his daughter be any different? It's like people being surprised that Ramsey would rape Sansa because he wasn't a complete tool to her in front of his dad despite the utterly monstrous things he did to Theon and hunting women for sport; they're just fooling themselves.

Even granting that Drogon could have been attracted by the violence, it sure is lucky that he was close enough to notice what was going on since he's nowhere to be found for long stretches of time. Throw in a line about "hey, people saw your dragon nearby the other day" and it's less blatantly pulled out of their butts. They certainly know how to foreshadow things, they were beating people over the head with foreshadowing for Shireen and anyone who doesn't see what's going to happen to
Jon
is utterly blind.

I really thought Yoda was gonna swoop in there with the clone gunships for a second.

Yea, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that :lol. Throughout the fight and then as the group got surrounded I couldn't help but think to myself..."I've seen this before..in AOTC..."

After next week's finale, are we done with new episodes in 2015? :angry
Yep. :cry

I also didn't think Shireen was going to be sacrificed. I figured it would be Selyse that would be steadfast in burning her with her stronger devotion to the faith and that Stannis would waiver from his love for his daughter..who is probably the only person he loves in the books and the show. Stannis being all about the law and just(ice), seems to have put more into his own selfish sense of entitlement to the crown and fell to desperation more than the Stannis from season 2. I know he's getting desperate and he wants to get to Winterfell, but for (hopefully), a big part of next week's show, he should already be closing in....ugh. I hate the changes(and omissions) to what's going on in the North and Jaime going to Dorne SO much...

Maybe since it looks like they will be leaving Dorne soon, he will go where he's supposed to go in Season 6.

ETA:
I DID enjoy the episode though lol, really I did.

Last edited:
As has been said before, close air support rocks!

Once Stannis makes a plan, he sticks with it. That can be a strength and a weakness. In this situation he found himself with no reasonable option, so to keep his crown and the remainder of his men, he chose to make a horrible sacrifice.

Of course, he could've boinked Mellisandre so their demon baby could clear Winterfell of all its defenders, but that'd have been too much trouble...

So...is Dany safe from stone man curse? Since Ser Friendzone was touching her skin with out gloves on.

That better not be the end of the sand snakes. All off season they we hyping the snakes as killers. Yet all I seen so far is them toying with Jamie.

I was totally not expecting that from Stannis. As others mentioned I could see Selyse consenting to it, but I thought Stannis would protect Shireen. I had kind of been routing for Stannis, but not anymore.

I was surprised simply because Stannis seemed to stubbornly always does what was right and just. Sure he killed Renly, but that was simply because Renly named himself king without having a "legal" right to do so. By all laws, Stannis was the successor. So yes, he might have been his brother but he was a traitor/rebel to the crown. Gendry/Edric he did not kill, but just used leaches. He kept his daughter from her grey scale fate because it was the "right" thing to do.

Burning her at the stake though seemed a bit out there. However, I guess in his own twisted mind, when she asked if there was anything she could do, Stannis took that as her blessing for doing it and ran with it. I wonder if he would have had she not made that statement.

At any rate, Shireen's cries were pretty gut wrenching. That child actress did a great job with that scene

Last edited:
And maybe the show didnt do such a good job with it, but Drogon showing up when he did makes perfect sense. Earlier this season when there was large scale violence and Daenerys was in trouble, he came to her. So, its not so strange that the fighting and carnage going on in the pits would attract him. Then once he realized his mother was in danger, its only natural he would protect her.

I just assume there is some kind of telepathic type connection between her and Drogon. I also wonder if there is something more going on with Missandei. As Danny grabs her hand and closes here eyes is when Drogon suddenly makes himself known.

All I thought was, "Where the hell is she going? You're just gonna leave them there?!?"

Also was really helpful that Drogon magically knew that his mum was in trouble and needed a dragon ex machina. Leave it to her to be stupid and distract him with trying to pet him while Sons of the Harpy are still around trying to kill him, her, and her small council and then leave them to die. That's what I want in a queen: shortsighted and selfish.

If anything, I would think her small council was glad she got the hell out of there safely. it is there job to protect her and seeing her riding off on the back of a dragon was surely a pretty good escape.

Don't forget, while it is a dragon, it is still a young dragon and taking all those spears at some point is going to take its toll. I believe Drogon had run out of steam for his fire as well, otherwise Danny would have got the full blast when he turned and opened his mouth as if to breath fire before he realized who it was.

Her and Drogon getting out of there was and should have been the main objective. There was not much more they could have done without risking themselves. Had Drogon been fully grown and Danny been more intune with riding him and controlling him it might be a different story.

At this point I don't believe she has much control over him to even make him go back once he tool off. I believe she was along for a ride more than an actual driver at that point.

At least that's how it seemed to play out in the books

I just assume there is some kind of telepathic type connection between her and Drogon. I also wonder if there is something more going on with Missandei. As Danny grabs her hand and closes here eyes is when Drogon suddenly makes himself known.

I think her holding each other hands and closing the eyes was a way to say good game. Basically I'll be right here with you to the end. It's a what a friend does to try and calm the other one. Plus she doesn't want to see her / own death. Just wait for the blow to come end it all.

Drogon screaming at her was him saying "Hi mom!"

I agree with blakeh1: Daenerys was trying to save Drogon; he was being speared from every angle. He's her 'child' afterall, and I believe she willed him to her side (warging?) when she found herself in dire straights. He was magnificent; he sent chills down my spine. I loved the closing shot of Tyrion staring off in awe at what he had just witnessed!

I'm kind of leaning toward thinking that Melisandra is just as reponsible for Shereen's death as Stannis...she has just gotten rid of his only heir, and now she can manipulate him to have their own child who will become heir to the throne and give her the ultimate power to spread her religion throughout the kingdom.

I loved seeing Doran Martell in some more meaty scenes. What a gorgeous set!

Sup Snow!... Take a swing Snow!... What makes you the snow-thority Snow?
bTR5mC5.jpg

Here's the thing that they really haven't been making clear in the show. First off, the story of Azor Ahai, aka The Prince That Was Promised. Mellisandre has been filling Stannis' head with promises about how he is the Prince. In the legends, AA had to forge Lightbringer, a sword that glowed with the Lord's Light. Sound familiar? The first one, he worked for 30 days and nights, and quenched it in water. The sword shattered, forcing him to start again.

The second time he took 50 days and nights to make the sword, which was even better than the first. This time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart. Again, the steel shattered.

Finally, he knew what he had to do and worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her living heart, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

The point is, he sacrificed the thing he loved most of all to make the means of saving mankind. I know people are flipping their poop, but that's exactly what Stannis has done here. I think it's in character for him, even if it wasn't exactly made clear why he's doing it by the show's writing.

None the less, I found that scene almost more heart wrenching than the red wedding. Her screams... Stannis' heart is probably colder than a White Walker's heart.

I just have to say WTH Jon? You would think he would immediately call the senior Night's Watch and say "Hey you will not believe the **** we just saw!", but he just stands there. I think they would have been a lot more at peace with the Wildlings if they knew the White Walkers were on the move.

I also like the hypocrisy of the fan base of this show. Rape a woman, the Internet loses its freaking head and even U.S. Senators speak out about it. Burn a little girl to death and *cricket chirps*.

I just have to say WTH Jon? You would think he would immediately call the senior Night's Watch and say "Hey you will not believe the **** we just saw!", but he just stands there. I think they would have been a lot more at peace with the Wildlings if they knew the White Walkers were on the move.

I also like the hypocrisy of the fan base of this show. Rape a woman, the Internet loses its freaking head and even U.S. Senators speak out about it. Burn a little girl to death and *cricket chirps*.

The same goes for that knight (Ser Meryn?) who wanted to take the VERY young girl back in the room, who clearly was scared to death!

This is the flipside of not that many lawyers in a society. Don't want to mess with a divorce and alimony, make up some crap about a "Magic Sword" and stab your wife to death with it. Tired of Paying child support, invite your daughter to make S'mores, oops forgot to tell her she gets to play the marshmallow.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back