Solo: A Star Wars Story

If anybody thinks we'll be getting anything more than a slight hint of the former Han Solo in SOLO, I think they are kidding themselves. Ford's charisma and swagger will be long gone, replaced with a youthful recklessness and a completely different take on the character.

Harrelson's character, Tobias Beckett, will have the swagger. We'll find out over the course of the film that Han Solo simply adopted this man's walk and talk, right down, I'm betting, to all his classic lines. I fully expect to hear Harrelson saying things like "You just need a good blaster at your side kid." and "I get by with a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

And at some point, he'll tell Han Solo not to get cocky.

I think the reason they cast Alden is because they want to redefine Han Solo with a new young actor, for new young fans, and I doubt they care about it beyond that.

From the set photos I've seen, he doesn't look a thing like Harrison Ford anyway. The vehicle and costume design looks more Guardian's of The Galaxy than Star Wars. The land speeders almost look like they were borrowed directly from the set of Thor Ragnarok. The Marvel films have been a big deal for Disney, so I don't really even blame them for wanting to infuse some of that into Star Wars, as I'm sure the old people running the studio think that's what the young people going to movie theaters are looking for.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I don't think it will be a total disaster, simply because they have spent so much time and effort on reshooting it . As standards go I believe it will probably just be a fairly average SW movie, with excellent visual effects and a fairly middling script.
I will (no doubt) go and see it. I do have concerns, particularly with the lead ( see my previous comments about him in "Beautiful Creatures ") but the rest of the cast are capable actors and are often actually very good, so I'm hoping we get a better balance of performances than alot of the comments here might suggest.
I hope the comedic elements are toned well down , given my aversion to what seemed to pass for comedy in TLJ and Ron Howard seems to have kept the ship afloat despite everything ,so what they've managed to piece together will feel like a SW movie. Its going to be a mad dash for the line though, which is probably why we haven't spied a trailer yet.
But I'm with Bryan on that one, I think the general lack of a trailer is more to do with what else is being promoted at this moment, its the award season, the post Christmas bloat has set in and January is a flat kind of month for anything new , the rumours of more reshoots and I think we'll probably see something as soon as its ready.
I don't think the date will alter , its difficult to see how they would change from May because where else they could put it? The Christmas holiday period is pretty much packed with family friendly releases BECAUSE there isn't a SW film out then and overall the entire year is quite stuffed with sci fi/fantasy /superhero movies.
Solo is coming out smack in a very busy period though, with "Infinity War", "Deadpool 2" before and "Jurassic World FK " just after so repeat viewings are likely to drop dramatically anyway. If they had to change any date because of production issues I'd have gone with a mid to late September release , well after the summer blockbusters have burned out.
Thing is who here is going to pass up the chance to really have ago at Disney and Lucasfilm? I watch Star Trek: Discovery for the simple pleasure that comes from tearing it into tiny, tiny pieces, though I almost enjoyed the last two episodes god help me.

With a big budget film, it's pretty easy to make a good-looking trailer. Some of the worst movies ever have had good-looking trailers. This movie has an iconic logo (STAR WARS), an iconic ship, and an iconic wookiee to feature in its trailer. I strongly suspect the problem is Alden, and they know it. I think they're dreading the fan reaction the film's trailer, and the actor playing its eponymous character, will receive online. Particularly on the heels of the thrashing they're still getting over TLJ.

As I said in previous post in the OB1 thread, if Anthony Ingruber had been cast, we'd have seen a multitude of promotional shots, production stills, a teaser, and a trailer by now, And fans, myself included, would be salivating over this film.

The Wook

’ an iconic Wookiee ‘ ? ... didn’t know you were in the film ! ;)

DTwU_ioW4AEpDRe.jpg

...and then there's this: "I’d say once everyone sees the new villain in #Solo, you’ll get pretty excited."

I don't know if anything can me excited about Solo.

Last edited:
I will only see this movie if it begins with Lando, Chewy, and Han doing a recreation of the lineup scene from The Usual Suspects.

Stormtrooper: Number 1, step forward and read the phrase we wrote on the card.

Han: Hand me the keys, you *****ing nerfherder.

Stormtrooper: Number 2, step forward.

Lando: Give me the ****ing keys and a Colt .45 you ****king nerfherdering motherf*****er.

Stormtrooper: Knock it off. Get back. Number 3, step forward.

Chewy: [laughing] AHRRRRRRRRG!

Stormtrooper: In English, please?

Chewy: Argh?

Stormtrooper: In English.

Chewy: [looking around confused]

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back