Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

So I went to see TFA for the 3rd time and did some closer inspection of Rey' costume. I noticed two things....

1) I think her arm wraps are attached to an undersleeve. In the first scene she shows up, where she drinks from a water canteen, there's a gap in the wraps, but fabric underneath not flesh.

2) Those lovely leg wraps? She only wears them for the first part of the first scene she shows up and then nowhere else in the film. So as much as I love those leg wraps, I'm going to save myself some fabric and not do them.

I also saw that! I have been wrapping mine, but they eventually slip down. I'm going to add them over compression sleeves (which is probably what it is on screen). I found some at Dick's and Sports Authority, and they're only $20 for both sleeves.

Also, for anyone that's interested in getting through the Rebel Legion approval process, I've been asked to add the lacing on the back of the boots, so just FYI if you haven't added that to some boots sourced elsewhere, you'll need to. I haven't ordered the PoZo boots yet because I have been pouring money into a Kylo Ren build, too.

So I played with TinkerCAD... which wow, is a great free piece of software!

I was all excited to get it at Shapeways... 8" of printer bed space is $$$! LOL. I cut out the ribbed pieces, since I figure I'd rather wrap the staff in cable anyway.

I'm hoping to print it locally or hear back from a guy I found 3DHubs.

Probably not as accurate as other models, but I like it ^_^ I'm hoping the scale makes sense when it arrives...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8...-all-pieces?li=shop-results&optionId=58787888

I should be able to source one for you. The 2 army surplus stores near my office have closed (one of them was used to source costume bits for the original SW films), but there is another big one on my journey home: http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...7-pattern-signals-satchel?variant=10195059587 You can pick and chose your own colour/date/quality If you were going for a Khaki/post-war/supergrade I'd do it as a trade. I'll go to the shop rather than mail order so I can pick the best of the available ones.

Nice sourcing! I haven't even started on my bag yet, but if you happen to find another one good for Rey's bag after Kristen Henry, I would be most interested. :) (Alas, as she pointed out, they're rather expensive to get in the US.)

AtlGurl9225 - My apologies for not replying to your previous post about fabric hunting. I might take you up on that offer soon! I'm going with a friend who's helping me make my costume. But if we can't find decent fabric, I'll shoot you a PM for a fabric hunting date. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to print anything for someone making a Rey costume, as a payback for all the help available in this thread! It has saved me so much time in making the costume for my daughter.
So I played with TinkerCAD... which wow, is a great free piece of software!

I was all excited to get it at Shapeways... 8" of printer bed space is $$$! LOL. I cut out the ribbed pieces, since I figure I'd rather wrap the staff in cable anyway.

I'm hoping to print it locally or hear back from a guy I found 3DHubs.

Probably not as accurate as other models, but I like it ^_^ I'm hoping the scale makes sense when it arrives...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8...-all-pieces?li=shop-results&optionId=58787888

I'm not even halfway through and I love this thread. Thank you all for your research!

I'm working on building a BB-8 and want to dress as Rey to go with it. If everything goes as planned, I'll hide the BB-8 controller in her staff.

Nice sourcing! I haven't even started on my bag yet, but if you happen to find another one good for Rey's bag after Kristen Henry, I would be most interested. :) (Alas, as she pointed out, they're rather expensive to get in the US.)

I'd be in as a third for the bag (depending on cost and shipping) if you can get that many. Looking around now myself, but if it was easy enough to pick up multiples, that would rock!

Last edited:
I should be able to source one for you. The 2 army surplus stores near my office have closed (one of them was used to source costume bits for the original SW films), but there is another big one on my journey home: http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...7-pattern-signals-satchel?variant=10195059587 You can pick and chose your own colour/date/quality If you were going for a Khaki/post-war/supergrade I'd do it as a trade. I'll go to the shop rather than mail order so I can pick the best of the available ones.

If you could manage to find one for me as well (after the others, obviously) I would be so grateful!! I've been trying to find something similar in the states, and I haven't had any luck yet.

I should be able to run out at lunchtime on Monday and get Kristen's bag, then get to the post office on Tuesday. I have a feeling that the bag + postage will come close to $50 though. I'm not sure on postal costs, it depends greatly on the weight and the service, but I will have a good idea on Tuesday.

Wow, I'm amazed at how many people have already started making stuff from the film given it just came out. Awesome. I'm a newbie prop maker, but long term tinkerer, and I'm going to give this outfit a go.

Jo from Seattle, nice to meet you all. :)

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - sorry.
- BB8 builders club: http://bb8builders.club/
- Pre-flight check video of my BB-8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqbS0T3vGA

I have started modelling the staff - but this is going to take a while! - I will post it on thingiverse when done.

Cheers,
J.
View attachment 568635

THANK YOU! I've just "joined" the bb-8 builders club on facebook and started my own BB-8 build! I plan on hiding a wii remote to control it in the staff to control it. It would be a huge help to have the staff models to work from.

Last edited:
Hi :)
I found this post, but no one asked how to put it together :p Am I just stupid? I traced in onto a paper, but can't figure out how wide it's gonna be, and therefore can't figure out where the first round stops and the second starts, if that makes sense?
Can anyone help?..
Will this do?

View attachment 549172

2 pieces of leather glued back to back so it has a smooth surface and 2 different textures.

Kristen How much of a Modification do you have to do to the bags? Looks Great

Happy New Year Everyone :)

Dan

The one that I used needed EXTENSIVE modification! I used the smaller bag in this pic, lower left:

P37WebGear006E.jpg

what it ought to have been was this:

satch11.jpg

I had to cut down not only the right side bit also the thickness of the entire pouch plus the height LOL. So basically I had to cut it all, whereas if I had been able to source the correct bag I would only have had to shorten the right side and move some straps. :p

It still looks OK... just took a lot more work. Mira Darkstar came over with hers (made from the correct bag) and I was able to use it as a size gauge.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I'm amazed at how many people have already started making stuff from the film given it just came out. Awesome. I'm a newbie prop maker, but long term tinkerer, and I'm going to give this outfit a go.

Jo from Seattle, nice to meet you all. :)

Welcome, Jo! :)

So funny... when I was looking at the costume in the Visual Dictionary last night I noticed that there were several more pieces of the wrap dress material twisted up like that and wrapped around the mannequin in a different fashion than we actually see onscreen and I had remarked to my Husband that I was fairly certain they achieved the pleating by gathering the ends and twisting the fabric.

I guess my instincts serve me well. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back