Fallout 76

I'm sorry, but that is the last thing I wanna see a Fallout game become.

No one says the franchise would turn into that, but a game, set in the Fallout universe where that's the primary goal would be fun. I don't want Fallout to become Fallout Shelter either, but there's a place for things like that outside of the main line of games.

You mean like, you want the purpose of your character going out an adventuring to be making things safer for, and gathering resources for a large settlement he's a part of, right? Like the folks that turned Valut 8 into vault city, or trying to grow Shady Sands into the NCR? Cause that sort of thing I would dig.

If you mean all you want to do is collect garbage from around the wasteland, to make huts and neon signs... we've already got fallout 4 :p

Well technically I think in Fallout 4 you were doing that by uniting the settlements under the Minutemen. They mention that prior to the game some kind of council was formed to start a government for that area and the Institute attacked it. You just don't get to see anything come out of it in the game.

We need to start a list of RPF members that want to play as friends in-game. You can find me in-game under my RPF name: ZapWizard.

/Edit: I guess I should share my thoughts so far on the game, I have played about 6 hours of the beta now.

The exploring, crafting, etc.. all feel just like Fallout 4. Except that the lack of NPC does mean there won't really be any iconic characters. It actually feels more like Fallout 1 or 2 in that regard. However, running across someone else in-game does replace that so some degree.

So far I have played as a lone wanderer. But I teamed up for about five minutes with one person to complete an event, then we went our separate ways. Another person I ran into was very friendly and just shared a crap load of stuff with me at no cost.

The game is beautiful, and the world is massive. I have really only explored a few areas in that time and gathered enough junk to build a small camp so I can scrap items and do upgrades.

If you don't like exploring, this isn't the game for you. The Ai is pretty dumb, just like Fallout 4. Most run right into your face even if they have a long range weapon. Some take cover, the only interesting thing is that I noticed that when they get low health, some run away and you have to hunt them down. However, since you cant just install a zero-weight ammo mod and run around with 5000 bullets, it makes fighting a bit more strategic on when you use your good weapons. I love the weapon conditioning, it forced me to try a weapon I typically would disregard.

The weight limits also make your camp placement more strategic, as well as what materials you need to gather. There is a bit less of the grab everything in the room syndrome going on

They need to fix lots of little issues like Push-to-talk, inventory management, and the camp weight limits.

Last edited:
Loved every Fallout game since the first one, but after an hour of this one, it's an easy pass for me. Love the environment but but hated the gameplay.

It has nothing to do with the gameplay for me, I hate it not being a solo game. I don't care if I can play solo, I don't want anyone else on my map, period. I gave up playing MMOs entirely because I know that invariably, no matter how much they discourage trolls and griefers, they will still exist, no matter how hard they make it on them, because some people are just ********. I refuse to play any game that way. I will never play any online game without a dedicated solo mode. Even games that I buy that have an online component, I refuse to ever use it. I play the solo campaign and turn it off. Fallout is my favorite video game franchise ever, this will be the first Fallout game I haven't played, but sorry, I pass. I'll reconsider it when Bethesda makes individual shards for solo players that no one else is allowed in and not before.

I've seen too many gaming sites, after playing, saying this game just feels empty. Between that and Bethesda warning players on what to expect, it sounds like they know they messed up big. Yes it looks cool, but so far I'm skipping it.

Of course it's empty, this is just the beta. But people are saying that there are massive bugs and with 2 weeks until wide release, it's going to be a complete disaster. The game is literally deleting itself off people's systems, requiring them to re-download a 50gb program. And this is supposed to be ready in 2 weeks? Seriously?

Besides the PC bug of the game self deleting, I'm having no significant bugs. I've played BETA twice and am ready to hop into it in another hour for the rest of the night. I'm having a blast so far, and as far as empty? Yeah, it's post apocalyptic, did you expect sprawling cities? And I have grouped with some people and had fun fighting off a few waves of Scorched, but also have had a lot of fun going at it alone mostly so far. I'm going to probably focus a little on CAMP stuff today and tomorrow as I haven't done much with that besides the stuff part of the main quest.

Also, had no griefing problems so far. It seems easy enough to turn on the pacifist flag so I can't hurt anyone, and since I can't do that they can't do any significant damage to bother me.

But haters will hate.

We need to start a list of RPF members that want to play as friends in-game. You can find me in-game under my RPF name: ZapWizard.

/Edit: I guess I should share my thoughts so far on the game, I have played about 6 hours of the beta now.

What platform are you on? I'm on PC. I've also seen some odd AI behavior, but most seems pretty decent. The Scorch berserkers that race up to you are a pain, but the Super Mutants seem to have pretty decent AI. Animal AI is good it seems. I saw a drone cargo carrier partly clip through something, and get stuck I think, but it was otherwise cool to watch. One thing I think isn't unintentional though, the Scorch that stand very still until you get close to interact, that's part of their lore I think. The Scorch infection causes them to stop and stand still at times, and if they stand still too long they become those corrupted statues that you can break.

Yesterday, thanks to the Play with Friends beta code giveaway I was able to play with four friends. It changes the gameplay totally, really making it into a different game altogether.

One: You do get the "I already completed this mission, here go do this, and that to be done" effect. But visiting all new places with friends is good. And that was fun. Doing events with friends feels very much like Borderlands 2.

However, with friends there is far less time to scrap, modify, build your settlement, explore holotapes (Can't hear them with chatty friends at all), and terminals.
There is also the issue of push-to-talk, and no quick way to toggle between taking with your friends or people around you. Those who have a microphone, assume you must have one, and some people walk up and just stare at you, I assume talking, but I don't have audio chat on because I am using Discord with my friends. Text chat or push to talk should help with this.
Kerr Avon I am on PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find myself wondering if Fallout is really a game that's suited to multiplayer conceptually speaking.

On the other hand, The Elder Scrolls has always felt somehow more empty to me than any Bethesda-era Fallout game, and I have no idea why that is. Maybe because you never get any companions? I dunno.

I'm not. I've read a lot of early hands on stories where they say it's great and the environment is great, but they can't get away from the game feeling empty even full of players.

GhostMinion, if you pre-ordered it, Bethesda should have sent you a message telling you how to enter a code to download the game so you can play while waiting for the physical item to arrive. But yeah, the Power Armor Editions are delayed.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back