Star Trek: Picard

I do hope that they've moved Picard on and that he's still not in the Captain's chair, after a point a man with that much experience and wisdom is wasted commanding a single starship, he should either be an Admiral in command of a fleet or at Starfleet Academy either as the Commandant or senior instructor. I'm also good with the idea of him of never getting his flag and just retiring from Starfleet altogether and enjoying a quiet, peaceful life until he's dragged back into the limelight, maybe by a Captain or Admiral Riker.

I think this could actually work.

Say he never planned to leave the Captain’s chair, as Kirk advised. Refused promotion until he was either injured or something happened that makes Starfleet force him to retire. Years later he’s an exo-archaeologist, nabbing artifacts from the nuetral zone and what not. He’s basically Indiana Jones in space. He’s living the life he did as Galen when he was undercover in The Gambit, but not a lowlife smuggler.

Then he stumbles onto some big plot (like Nazis trying to find the Ark) and reports it to Starfleet. They send in the Enterprise F to investigate, he goes along as an advisor. Something bad goes down, the Captain is killed, and Picard has to take command, unofficially at first, but then gets reinstated along the way.

I could go for this.

They send in the Enterprise F to investigate

Oh, god, I hadn't thought of that. :facepalm I entered my design in the Star Trek Online contest to "design the next Enterprise." I didn't win. But the winning design looks a lot like mine -- but worse and less imaginative/well-thought-out. And it has featured in the game and is considered canon by CBS. It would be the gallingest of things to have to see that thing on screen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCKQp1sGVRQ

I love Patrick Stewart and I have a lot of respect for TNG and the character of Picard. But we've seen this pattern before where they get the most respected actors of a franchise and all kinds of people associated with the production of an original series or film series on board to draw fans in, only to ultimately ruin said character by changing what people love about them and ultimately try to manipulate audiences into liking new, less developed/ interesting characters. I don't and will not fault Stewart for this and I mean to stress that point because like Mark Hamill they both have a burning passion for their characters, but the studio heads will prevail and get what they want regardless of these talented actor's wishes.

I know I must sound like a jaded old man, but it's just the trend in Hollywood these days because they are so desperate to find story content that they are willing to risk entire franchises rather than risk trying smaller stories that go in new directions, if only for the sake of "playing it safe." When in reality they are actually playing with fire.

I hate to say it Picard and TNG fans, but this is the beginning of the end. Once they change Picard it will be VERY hard to see him in the light you did before. If you think TLJ threads were bad, just wait. Just wait.

I think this could actually work.

Say he never planned to leave the Captain’s chair, as Kirk advised. Refused promotion until he was either injured or something happened that makes Starfleet force him to retire. Years later he’s an exo-archaeologist, nabbing artifacts from the nuetral zone and what not. He’s basically Indiana Jones in space. He’s living the life he did as Galen when he was undercover in The Gambit, but not a lowlife smuggler.

Then he stumbles onto some big plot (like Nazis trying to find the Ark) and reports it to Starfleet. They send in the Enterprise F to investigate, he goes along as an advisor. Something bad goes down, the Captain is killed, and Picard has to take command, unofficially at first, but then gets reinstated along the way.
This sounds like a holodeck fantasy featuring Dixon Hill. :D

Sweet Jeebus...
CANNOT UNSEE.
surprised.png
Ah, good, my work here is done. :lol

More I think about it, the more I'd be happy with an "it was all a dream" cosmic reset just this once. Everything after Picard went into the Nexus has been his Nexus fantasy, including getting out. Enterprise-D implausibly taken out by Klingons, him getting a new badass warship, fighting off a Borg invasion, getting to meet Zefram Cochrane, touch the Phoenix, witness First Contact, discover and stop a Starfleet conspiracy, get the girl, go on a Mad Max dune buggy desert chase, defeat a psychotic clone of himself, and just generally be an action hero...? Tell me that doesn't smack of midlife crisis, 24th-century style. ;)

You know those "glitch in the Matrix" tells they have in stories like that or Inception or whatever, ways to let the audience know this or that bit is part of the illusory world. For me, it was Picard tossing aside the priceless Kurlan naiskos his archaeology mentor had given him in favor of his family scrapbook, while rummaging through the wreckage of the Enterprise. As with Kirk jumping the creek, the emotion was missing because he subconsciously knew it wasn't real -- but in Picard's case, he missed the tell.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCKQp1sGVRQ

I love Patrick Stewart and I have a lot of respect for TNG and the character of Picard. But we've seen this pattern before where they get the most respected actors of a franchise and all kinds of people associated with the production of an original series or film series on board to draw fans in, only to ultimately ruin said character by changing what people love about them and ultimately try to manipulate audiences into liking new, less developed/ interesting characters. I don't and will not fault Stewart for this and I mean to stress that point because like Mark Hamill they both have a burning passion for their characters, but the studio heads will prevail and get what they want regardless of these talented actor's wishes.

I know I must sound like a jaded old man, but it's just the trend in Hollywood these days because they are so desperate to find story content that they are willing to risk entire franchises rather than risk trying smaller stories that go in new directions, if only for the sake of "playing it safe." When in reality they are actually playing with fire.

I hate to say it Picard and TNG fans, but this is the beginning of the end. Once they change Picard it will be VERY hard to see him in the light you did before. If you think TLJ threads were bad, just wait. Just wait.

<Cough>Generations</Cough>

More I think about it, the more I'd be happy with an "it was all a dream" cosmic reset just this once. Everything after Picard went into the Nexus has been his Nexus fantasy, including getting out. Enterprise-D implausibly taken out by Klingons, him getting a new badass warship, fighting off a Borg invasion, getting to meet Zefram Cochrane, touch the Phoenix, witness First Contact, discover and stop a Starfleet conspiracy, get the girl, go on a Mad Max dune buggy desert chase, defeat a psychotic clone of himself, and just generally be an action hero...? Tell me that doesn't smack of midlife crisis, 24th-century style. ;)

You know those "glitch in the Matrix" tells they have in stories like that or Inception or whatever, ways to let the audience know this or that bit is part of the illusory world. For me, it was Picard tossing aside the priceless Kurlan naiskos his archaeology mentor had given him in favor of his family scrapbook, while rummaging through the wreckage of the Enterprise. As with Kirk jumping the creek, the emotion was missing because he subconsciously knew it wasn't real -- but in Picard's case, he missed the tell.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. :D

That is a story that I can get behind. A few others have had the idea that Picard never the Nexus but not a well versed as this. :thumbsup

I lost interest when his statement contained a political vibe with is "comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times" comment

That is a story that I can get behind. A few others have had the idea that Picard never the Nexus but not a well versed as this. :thumbsup

Oh, I wrote a whole alternate post-Nemesis thing where Riker's left and he's vaguely dissatisfied and through one thing and another realizes he's been in the Nexus the whole damn time, fantasizes leaving again, doubts that he got out, really leaves... only not, once he realizes the Nexus was still giving him what he wanted, and he just... stops. As with Nagilum in "Where Silence Has Lease", the only way to win is not to play. He realizes he can't want to leave, or the cycle will just repeat. And then the door chimes and Guinan comes in and says, "So you're finally in the headspace where we can accomplish something..." and it goes from there.

But I adamantly cling to a future where this happens:

...And that can't happen if Deanna wraps that ship around a mountain.

I'd rather he had dreamed the JJVerse.

The argument always gets bogged down in minutiae I don't have the time to wade into, but the Enterprise-verse is the JJ-verse, not the history of the Prime timeline, "These Are the Voyages" notwithstanding. I can accept the quad-plex state of reality one of the theoretical models of the universe posits, with Prime, Mirror, Enterprise/JJ, and their Mirror as the for states: Positive Material, Negative Material, Positive Antimaterial, and Negative Antimaterial. Nearly everything fits that model. The only potential problem is it relies on Our Heroes meddling in First Contact (unwittingly in the Negative Material version of reality), and inadvertantly setting the Enterprise/JJ version of Cochrane on an accelerated development path, where Human tech is about a hundred years ahead of where it was in the Prime timeline by the time of the Founding of the Federation, by the rough time period of TOS...

...But that means First Contact the movie would have to have happened regardless of Picard being in the Nexus or not. Just in the "real" version, it would be the Enterprise-D that went back.

None of that however, accounts for all the awful science in Trek09 and Into Darkness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back