Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Meh, there wasn't anger over han dying, there was anger over han dying before you could but Han, Luke, and Leia on the screen together again. You make a big deal of securing all three for the movie and then never show them all. It was a waste frankly. And hell, Han and Leia and then Luke and Leia barely got a single coversation together before one dies. Wasteful.

It definitely is sad they didn’t get all 3 on screen again at once.

One of the hard things about Hollywood is you think the Director is the sole person making all the decisions, and while sometimes that really is true, you don’t see what goes on behind the scenes in the struggles Directors can have with their producers. They are like the CEOs and the Director’s job is to make sure he’s pleasing them.

If I remember right I think that’s what lead to Joss Whedon’s fallout from Marvel was his very passionate arguments against what the producers wanted and what he felt was right.

I’m sure JJ had quite a bit of say in things, but he also had to struggle with some restrictions, probably including the fact(?) that Harrison Ford only signed to one film, that JJ felt Luke coming in too early would have completely overshadowed the development of the new characters he was introducing, and that the producers wanted him to hit certain demands (of what I don’t know). You combine all these things that has to meet the criteria and I believe in the end he just couldn’t quite make it all work around everything.

And not to once again take stabs at TLJ, but I think Rian Johnson got such high marks from Kennedy and wanted to continue their relationship was because (guessing) Rian Johnson was probably a big “Yes Man” and didn’t fight over anything the producers wanted, inserted their hidden agenda messages, delivered on time, made lots of money... sounds like a dream employee to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also wanted to add that I know Abrams was listed as executive producer on TLJ, but to my knowledge I don’t think that relates to being interconnected through all the process aside from being the one who puts up the money for it and then is run mainly by the producers under that funding. Correct me if I’m wrong though!

Also wanted to add that I know Abrams was listed as executive producer on TLJ, but to my knowledge I don’t think that relates to being interconnected through all the process aside from being the one who puts up the money for it and then is run mainly by the producers under that funding. Correct me if I’m wrong though!

EP credits can mean a lot of things. It's both the most important credit, as well as the most worthless as it can be handed out with no needed work report required to be given to the PGA, unlike SAG, DGA and WGA. Kennedy as an EP is because she runs Lucasfilm. Somebody else could be EP because they found financing. Somebody else could be an EP because they brought Rian Johnson a bagel and he owed them a favor.

In JJ's case, TLJ was using characters, situations, locations, and narrative set-ups that he wrote for TFA. I'm sure he was also involved in the very early development as he and Rian had to have had communication for the hand off. But once TFA was out, he wasn't involved day to day.

I also think that Bad Robot still did some of the art and effects work for TLJ as they did for TFA. As the head of that company, he'd also be entitled to an EP credit.

Generally EXECUTIVE PRODUCER tends to be given to the heads of companies involved in production, people at the exec and studio level, the person in charge of the whole shebang, anybody who had significant creative input but were not a writer, or were bought or given as favors. Straight PRODUCER credits tend to be the people who run the various departments of the actual movie production.

Basically, outside of a favor credit, and EP is somebody who helped get the movie into production, and a Producer credit is somebody involved in the actual filming.

...and just to maker it more confusing, TV producer credits are totally different.

I could write a whole thing up on what credits mean if anybody cares.

Last edited:
As I've said a few times, I still believe that JJ was involved enough. I think he was fine with Rian dropping a lot of the setup he did for TFA, because JJ had no idea where any of that was to lead, and initially, beyond the setup, he wasn't going to be directing the follow up anyway. He directed TFA from the mystery box. When hasn't this been JJ's M.O?

They had the "Star Wars" name, created a weird cult of "In Rian Johnson we trust" mantra, that people that weren't even familiar with his work bought into.... What could go wrong? JJ wasn't expecting his approach to backfire. LFL played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

And not to once again take stabs at TLJ, but I think Rian Johnson got such high marks from Kennedy and wanted to continue their relationship was because (guessing) Rian Johnson was probably a big “Yes Man” and didn’t fight over anything the producers wanted, inserted their hidden agenda messages, delivered on time, made lots of money... sounds like a dream employee to them.

I don’t know, he’s really presented everywhere as “the guy” behind that movie, he was allowed to scrap JJ’s ideas and write his own and my impression fromThe Director and the Jedi was that the producer was more concerned with budgeting, locations and logistics than creative input...other than supporting Rian with whatever he came up with.

As Seth said it can be anything really. Just listened to an interview with John Carpenter, he said that he was producer of The Fog remake and all he did was turn up, say hi to everyone then bog off.

As I've said a few times, I still believe that JJ was involved enough. I think he was fine with Rian dropping a lot of the setup he did for TFA, because JJ had no idea where any of that was to lead, and initially, beyond the setup, he wasn't going to be directing the follow up anyway. He directed TFA from the mystery box. When hasn't this been JJ's M.O?

They had the "Star Wars" name, created a weird cult of "In Rian Johnson we trust" mantra, that people that weren't even familiar with his work bought into.... What could go wrong? JJ wasn't expecting his approach to backfire. LFL played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

But JJ reportedly DID have outlines where he wanted to take the story in 8 and 9, Rian just decided to throw those out. And everyone seemed to be fine with that...

Not sure if JJ had any input to TLJ quite honestly. He was tied up, nearly 100% of the time with TFA until december, and TLJ was shooting in just a couple months after that. If he had huge issues, what could he do? They couldn't start from scratch, couldn't really fire him without compromising the release date, etc. They were working on TLJ again up until early december for a mid december release as it was.

I'd like to think if he knew back in june or prior he'd have stopped what he was doing long enough to say something, but we'll likely never know how much he knew, or when, or if he really cared to be honest.

Not sure if JJ had any input to TLJ quite honestly. He was tied up, nearly 100% of the time with TFA until december, and TLJ was shooting in just a couple months after that. If he had huge issues, what could he do? They couldn't start from scratch, couldn't really fire him without compromising the release date, etc. They were working on TLJ again up until early december for a mid december release as it was.

I'd like to think if he knew back in june or prior he'd have stopped what he was doing long enough to say something, but we'll likely never know how much he knew, or when, or if he really cared to be honest.

I don’t quite remember the timeline of all of it, but he probably didn’t know he’d be the one left holding the bag to clean up the mess did he at that point? If he didn’t, and thought it wasn’t (or wouldn’t be) his problem, he just might not have cared anyway

Allow Luke to rematerialize and then kick@ss. Yes, it's a bit contrived, but GL actually pIanned this at one point with OB1 in the OT so it's not too fantastical. Only way to salvage the ST to me.

If Luke only comes back as a force ghost, I'm not interested. Seeing Yoda as a force ghost in TLJ didn't keep that movie from being a steaming pile, so having Luke as a force ghost only won't prevent IX from being a steaming pile.

Allow Luke to rematerialize and then kick@ss. Yes, it's a bit contrived, but GL actually pIanned this at one point with OB1 in the OT so it's not too fantastical. Only way to salvage the ST to me.

If Luke only comes back as a force ghost, I'm not interested. Seeing Yoda as a force ghost in TLJ didn't keep that movie from being a steaming pile, so having Luke as a force ghost only won't prevent IX from being a steaming pile.
To be fair I don't think Luke kicking *** at the end of TLJ would have kept it from being...insert your words here...

Or just make TLJ a fever dream Finn had while he was in a coma and start right back where they left off with TFA :lol

To be fair I don't think Luke kicking *** at the end of TLJ would have kept it from being...insert your words here...

You mean like this TLJ remake poster that was meant to make fun of us "manbabies?" :lol

Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-remake-poster-983915.jpg

Saying this is what we wanted? Funny... the only weirdo concept of having a muscled person walking around without a shirt was Kylo Ren? Hmm...

shirtless kylo ren.jpeg

Seems like a Freudian slip to me guys and gals!

The “me so sexy” Kylo scene is hilarious...complete with the pants hiked up just under his armpits like my grandfather’s generation.

Reminds me of the “in shape / outta shape guys from the 50’s” whose pants were hiked up to hide their guts. It’s pretty clear that TLJ was using the same awesome colossal powers of the pants to “force” (he he) the gut into slimmer proportions as well.

23A0E01F-3EE3-4443-85CE-16D52428A6BB.jpeg

680C62B0-2D8F-4261-9DC7-1BDE6AEEFEF2.jpeg

You mean like this TLJ remake poster that was meant to make fun of us "manbabies?" :lol

View attachment 833909

Saying this is what we wanted? Funny... the only weirdo concept of having a muscled person walking around without a shirt was Kylo Ren? Hmm...

View attachment 833910

Last edited:
The “me so sexy” Kylo scene is hilarious...complete with the pants hiked up just under his armpits like my grandfather’s generation.

Reminds me of the “in shape / outta shape guy from the 50’s” pants that were hiked up to hide their guts. It’s pretty clear that TLJ was using the awesome colossal powers of the pants to “force” (he he) the gut into slimmer proportions.

View attachment 833913

View attachment 833914

Buwahahahaha! That's great. I like how Rey is completely infatuated with his glistening muscles in that scene. :lol On the pants part, I think that's a sash around his midsection, but I could be mistaken. Still just as funny either way.

That’s no sash my friend...those ridiculously long waisted things are his pants...the zipper runs all the way to the top. It subverts your expectations of how a pair of pants should fit.

As Kylo famously said: “Let the gut hide...pull your pants up over it if you have to...”

As a frequent user of the “high-waisted gut-sucker pants”, Gil Gerard approves!

E2BBA74E-A7E6-4E57-B03F-48C6681C581E.jpeg

Buwahahahaha! That's great. I like how Rey is completely infatuated with his glistening muscles in that scene. :lol On the pants part, I think that's a sash around his midsection, but I could be mistaken. Still just as funny either way.

Last edited:

View attachment 833909

View attachment 833910

Yea, I actually forgot about that poster but yea. The first time I saw it I was like, rrrrright, there's not a single concept on that poster that I wanted to see in the movie. Although I did laugh at Snoke with the overhead projector.

That’s no sash my friend...those ridiculously long waisted things are his pants...the zipper runs all the way to the top. It subverts your expectations of how a pair of pants should fit.

As Kylo famously said: “Let the gut hide...pull your pants up over it if you have to...”

As a frequent user of the “high waisted gut sucker pants”, Gil Gerard approves!

View attachment 833918

Shots. Fired.
lol.gif

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back