Best way to dye a spandex mask?

The14thDr

Sr Member
I’m currently working on a custom, Homecoming/Into the Spiderverse-inspired suit and I was hoping some of you experts would be able to help me.

So far I only have a couple of the pieces - a red hoodie and a spandex mask which I bought a few years ago - just a standard red spandex mask from eBay - but since then my plans have changed and I want to make it black instead of red. My nearest craft store has a few options for black fabric dyes but I wasn’t sure which one would work best (if any at all.)

I read online that spandex on its own cannot be dyed and so you can’t dye any material containing more than 10% spandex. There are no labels on my mask so I can’t be sure how much is spandex and whether it contains any other materials. So far I have tried watered-down acrylic paints on a small patch of the material, but after soaking for a day the best I could get was burgundy - far from the pure black I was aiming for. Is this a sign of the material not reacting well to dyes? (I only ask because I don’t want to waste money on dyes if they aren’t going to work.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :)

P.S. A (badly) edited photo of my plans for the hoodie:
95075aae2ed72219aeb44b231e9e35e8.jpeg

It continues to astonish me that over the course of just 14 hours a thread can get almost a hundred views yet not a single piece of help/advice.

No matter, I decided to carry out further tests in the hopes that I would accidentally stumble across something that works. Here is the aforementioned first test of diluted acrylic paint on a piece of scrap fabric:
437a119cd7292209d4c008b17bc6052c.jpg

As you can see, nothing like the pure black I was aiming for. For my next test I increased the ratio of paint:water. Hopefully this will have work better.

I’ll post my results later.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Dylon seems to be one of the best ive seen. Can also be used to dye clear plastic for masks and eyes. I see its been 24 hours sjnce your first post and now you've had 2 hopefully helpsful posts.....

As the Klingons would say.... "Today is a good day to Dye!!".

Sorry.

Many thanks to you both!
doppelganger: as luck would have it my local craft store is currently having a sale on all Dylon products. I also read that if you mix salt into the dye it somehow makes it react with the spandex better. (This is becoming less of a costume build and more of a mad science experiment! :D)
montysaurus: that’s another great option for me to consider. If the Dylon dye doesn’t work out I’ll definitely give that a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand wanting to work with what you have but like... Why not just buy a black spandex mask? It can't cost more than what you're spending on dyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should probably post a small update just to tie off this thread

Thanks to the great suggestions above I bought some Dylon fabric dye and followed the instructions on the packet to dye my mask (mixing in some salt and fabric softener as I read this can help the dye react with spandex better.) However, the best I could get was a burgundy colour - very similar to the results of the acrylic paint test above. Then, when I rinsed out the mask as per the instructions on the packet all the colour just came right out. In the end I decided it was less trouble to just buy another mask.

Oh well, I guess it was fun to experiment. [emoji4] The new mask should arrive later my week - by then I will hopefully have the lenses and face shell completed.

EDIT: for anyone who may be interested, a link to my Spider-Man costume:- https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=292169

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back