Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

I'm not sure if anyone else on here has attempted this, but I decided to mold the entire gun AND grips.

my friend Joe (a bit funny in context) took my 2nd bale handled water gun to make molds. He gave me a resin Rick Ross PKD II that he put together a long time ago. He’s been dying to mound something and get his Staff shop up and running. This will be his first real go at it. I will follow up when I know more.

Wew, got my grips off
IMG_7074.JPG
Those suckers were on there!

Hey @Soulinertia do I need to hollow out the plastic section to accommodate your grips?

Had a little bit of fun this afternoon...

Dremmeled out the grips, ready for hardwood insert.
20171008_130549.jpg

Once you start, you can't stop.
20171008_142408-e1507437840954.jpg

One down...
20171008_143625-e1507438085919.jpg

Both done and glued together.
20171008_145416.jpg

Magazine (Battery compartment) ready for filling and sanding.
Will need to build a little box inside the body of the gun to receive the magazine.
Will probably use magnets to hold it in place.

Want to keep going but need to bake a cake!
Cheers, all.

I've been working on one too, though I had a little fun with it. Paint is just Krylon flat black and "flat soft iron" for the lighter portions; I'll add more detail soon. I had a spare tank road wheel that I sanded down for the piece at the front of the rifle receiver. The little 'ears' just in front of the bolt on top are actually little black plastic windows that I turned into a rear sight, it's mounted right on each side of the top 'screws' for location. The real fun was loading it full of 4500 steel BBs and supergluing those for weight; it's got a solid chunkiness to it now. The other thing is that weird addition on the bottom of the rifle magazine; I cut up some plastic strips and puttied things in to make a proper rail mount for the light. The Surefire actually locks into place and is mostly lined up straight.

PKD 1 small.jpgPKD 2 small.jpgPKD 3.jpgpkd 4.jpg

My second actual prop; Babby's First is a Spatcave pulse rifle. But once you're bit by the bug...

So are those glued in place just where the pegs are, or is it more extensive? I'm a little confused after reading the thread, and was thinking of getting one of the black/amber guns to go with the 'custom police model' I did.

In relation to the larger chamber (which others have filled with sand, etc.) - where on the blaster have people been making/drilling the access hole to pour the sand in?

In relation to the larger chamber (which others have filled with sand, etc.) - where on the blaster have people been making/drilling the access hole to pour the sand in?

I poured resin plaster straight down the barrel. You can do the same with the sand and just plug it with something like epoxy putty.

That is a fantastic paint job. Did you add a hex screw in the front of the magazine or just clever painting?

Hey stefwill

I did indeed add the hex screw, I forget what the size was but I drilled out the area, put a bunch of epoxy putty in and then set the screw it.

I didnt think far enough ahead however so if you plan to fill yours with resin I would recommend doing this last. When I poured my resin in a lot of it came out through where that screw is... I'm still kicking myself for that.

Was at New York Comic Con yesterday and had a chance to talk with Adam Savage. He said he's been watching our progress on this thread and is really impressed. He's not sure what he wants to do with his yet, but this is the thread he's going to come to when he does. This is my first gun and a plaque that I made, currently working on the second gun, which will have electronics and lots of other goodies hopefully!
auto_gun1.JPG

Does anybody know if the green leds are ever lit in the movie itself? Just came back from the new one (awesome) and didn't see them lit once and I was really paying attention to the gun because of this project.

iirc there is one scene in the final cut where they are very dimly lit. I think they stopped working while filming so they aren't lit in most of the scenes. Didn't see them lit once in the new movie.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back