How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

I think Luke is a Master now, and masters have no need for crude weapons. The Emperor and Yoda didn't have lightsabers (shut up, I know, I'm ignoring it), so I don't think Luke will.

Plus, to be honest, my growing annoyance with fandom being so demanding and judgmental, there's a part of me that hopes he doesn't have a lightsaber just to **** everyone off and not do what's expected.

That said, if he fires it up, I'll be cheering.

I think Luke is a Master now, and masters have no need for crude weapons. The Emperor and Yoda didn't have lightsabers (shut up, I know, I'm ignoring it), so I don't think Luke will.

Plus, to be honest, my growing annoyance with fandom being so demanding and judgmental, there's a part of me that hopes he doesn't have a lightsaber just to **** everyone off and not do what's expected.

That said, if he fires it up, I'll be cheering.

Oh there will be a green lightsaber for sure ;)

Its ambiguous. It could have meant teach your sister, teach your entire family, or go off and start a school. We don't know. We weren't meant to know. I think what we all do know now is that, since GL never really had some massive plan for these movies, he didn't know what it meant either. Anyone saying they knew exactly what Yoda meant by that line is just projecting their own expectations into it. It could mean a lot of things.

Welcome to the world of, "it's all relative and words mean whatever you want them to". It wasn't ambiguous. At 10 years old, it was never a question....rebuild the Jedi.We all got it. There was never a question. Must everything be written out and explained like stereo instructions for 5 year olds? Someone could be standing next to a burning orphanage and be handed a fire hose. SOMEONE is going to say, "What do you think that MEANS? I mean, he was never TOLD to put the fire out. It's pretty ambiguous. I don't know." Serenity now!

Here's my take on Yoda's "Pass on what you have learned!" speech:

1. If we believe, as the Original Trilogy clearly made us believe, and that the Prequel Trilogy strongly eluded to, that The Emperor, Darth Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Luke, and Leia were the only Force users/adept in the Original Trilogy. And further that at the end of the Original Trilogy when Yoda gives his speech to Luke before becoming one with the Force, that the only person who Luke could have passed his knowledge of the Force on to was Leia.

2. So until Luke and Leia had children, there would only be two Force users.

3. The New Jedi Academy would therefore only have been comprised of Luke, Leia, and whatever children they had.

4. And then their children's children, and so on.

Shoot! I've got more to expand on but I have to go mow the lawn before it rains. Back in a hour or so!!!

At 10 years old, it was never a question....rebuild the Jedi. We all got it.

I didn't get it. To my 10 year old mind it meant what Ridire Firean posted above.
I think some memories here may have been muddied by EU books, prequel movies, and cartoons.

For example, everyone accepts now that the jedi only trained very, very young children, because that's what George showed us in the prequels.
And it's justified by Yoda telling Ben "He's too old to begin the training".
But in the movie, The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda says this only as a weak excuse not to train Luke.
It was said in the same manner I used to say to my mom "I can't mow the grass now, I've already taken my shoes off".
But now that George has shown us kidnapped babies training to be jedi, everyone assumes that it must have always been this way, when it wasn't.

...kidnapped babies training to be jedi...

I remember that was one of the more unseemly Topps cards.

Topps-card-training.jpg

Welcome to the world of, "it's all relative and words mean whatever you want them to". It wasn't ambiguous. At 10 years old, it was never a question....rebuild the Jedi.We all got it. There was never a question. Must everything be written out and explained like stereo instructions for 5 year olds? Someone could be standing next to a burning orphanage and be handed a fire hose. SOMEONE is going to say, "What do you think that MEANS? I mean, he was never TOLD to put the fire out. It's pretty ambiguous. I don't know." Serenity now!

Yoda's line in ROTJ was "Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is... another... Sky... walker. " Now, if you're going to tell me that meant for him to go out and start a school, then fine. However, my point was, at that time it most likely meant to simply pass it on to Leia. Its not until GL retconned everything in the prequels where Yoda starts talking about keeping an entire Jedi order going. That was what Sluis Van Shipyards and Axlotl were talking about earlier in the thread. You're taking this into a discussion that seems to have more to do with your take on modern society rather than Star Wars. My only argument was that people have been influenced by the PT, GL's constant revisionist history, and their own preconceived notions regarding what they wanted to see as fans. That there is not one bit of solid evidence presented in the actual story saying that Luke should start a new Jedi school.

Oh, FFS. Pass on what you learned can mean ANYTHING. To his sister, to any family he may eventually have, or small group, or a full on Academy. Speaking of which this continues to be an academic discussion in TFA Luke had an Academy. We don't know how many he may have taught, how far long they were int those teaching before Ben/Kylo destroyed it, and where any of those student may be in the current time line. I would think Ben would have been his most advanced student considering his heritage and the most powerful, as Mark described it the "chosen one" star pupil, and could have laid waste to the others. That would be a very dark side thing to do, leave no survivors.

Ok let's look at it this way. Yoda says he has trained Jedi for over 800 years. We can't assume he was brought in as a baby like in the Prequels, because we don't know. We have to assume he was probably a Jedi for a while if he was able to train Jedi. So Yoda has been a Jedi for over 800 years. Obi Wan had been a Jedi for something like 25 years; his entire life. Both of them have been Jedi for all or most of their lives. So Luke is the last Jedi left. Yoda tells him to pass on what he has learned. Does it make sense that Yoda means "Train your sister" or "Train more Jedi"? I'd say the above points to the latter. Yeah the Jedi became corrupt, but the entire organization and their ideals weren't bad. I really doubt that Yoda meant "**** it! Just pass it on to whoever you want, like two people at most." I don't think you give over 800 years of your life to a group, have it destroyed, have the ability to rebuild it in some form, and then not care about rebuilding it.

Ok let's look at it this way. Yoda says he has trained Jedi for over 800 years. We can't assume he was brought in as a baby like in the Prequels, because we don't know. We have to assume he was probably a Jedi for a while if he was able to train Jedi. So Yoda has been a Jedi for over 800 years. Obi Wan had been a Jedi for something like 25 years; his entire life. Both of them have been Jedi for all or most of their lives. So Luke is the last Jedi left. Yoda tells him to pass on what he has learned. Does it make sense that Yoda means "Train your sister" or "Train more Jedi"? I'd say the above points to the latter. Yeah the Jedi became corrupt, but the entire organization and their ideals weren't bad. I really doubt that Yoda meant "**** it! Just pass it on to whoever you want, like two people at most." I don't think you give over 800 years of your life to a group, have it destroyed, have the ability to rebuild it in some form, and then not care about rebuilding it.

As I and KhalDrogo have been trying to say, you're letting your knowledge of the prequels influence your perceived memory of the OT.
I guess I come at this argument from a much different perspective from you - I don't count the prequels as canon. I dismiss them entirely.
So I'm just going by what was said in the 3 original movies.
And in the original 3 movies, the only inkling we had as to what jedi training was like were the few days Luke spent with Yoda on Dagobah.

Did Yoda train jedi one at a time? In pairs? In classes of 30, or by the hundreds? We don't know. It's never said.
Did Obi Wan begin his training as a toddler? We don't know. It's never said.
Was there a Jedi Academy, where Jedi Knights were churned out by the thousands? It's never said.
Was there a Jedi council? Were the Jedi the police of the galaxy? Did the Jedi fade away because of corruption within?
None of those things are even alluded to in the original trilogy.

Edit:

Also, while I'm ranting, the whole notion of taking children from their parents and putting weapons in their hands and teaching them combat skills when they should be playing and learning and discovering the world is effing FASCIST, and goes against everything we were taught the force was in the first 3 movies.
The force was spiritual - it was Taoism, in space. Luke was the Yin, Darth Vader was the Yang.
"Using the force" was meditating - achieving a sense of "oneness" with the universe.
It's unfortunate that old George quit smoking pot and forgot what the hell he was on about when he sat down to write the prequels.

Last edited:
Everything Yoda says and does prior to training Luke is a test of his attitude, belief and commitment, even his conversation with Obi Wan.

@Axloti, I agree with your post but....... For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic. I think that implies they were 'the police'.

@Axloti, I agree with your post but....... For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic. I think that implies they were 'the police'.

Maybe. Maybe they were crusaders, or vigilantes.
The Black Panthers and the Guardian Angels also considered themselves guardians of peace and justice.

Maybe. Maybe they were crusaders, or vigilantes.
The Black Panthers and the Guardian Angels also considered themselves guardians of peace and justice.

TBH, as a kid I never really thought of them as police. They were Knights. Brave, noble, heroic like the Knights of old and they were just dotted around the galaxy doing whatever Jedi knights do. They certainly weren't hanging out in gangs or groups or monastic orders.
Sometimes I struggle to block out the prequels :cry

TBH, as a kid I never really thought of them as police. They were Knights. Brave, noble, heroic like the Knights of old and they were just dotted around the galaxy doing whatever Jedi knights do. They certainly weren't hanging out in gangs or groups or monastic orders.
Sometimes I struggle to block out the prequels :cry

You. I like you.:cheers

As a kid, I had thought Jedi in the Old Republic era as being like old school Knights that ruled were all ruled by Bail Organa. He was a King, and they were his private magic army. Given that we didn't know a whole lot, and I didn't grasp what there was to know about galactic politics, it made sense in my head.

When I was a teenager and I read Dune, knowing it was a big influence on Lucas, I thought that maybe the Jedi were more like Mentats or Samurai. They had a common belief system and core training, but could end up serving different rulers/leaders/kings/etc. So you could have honor-bound Jedi following the same code on opposite sides of a conflict.

As much as I dislike the PT, I don't hate the idea of a monastic order that is basically given legal authority by the government to enforce their law in any jurisdiction in the galaxy. In reality, that's a terrible idea, and there was a part of me that hoped that given how Lucas has always hated authority, that he'd show us the Jedi order becoming corrupt and fracturing... but I could write a book on all the wonderful ideas and missed opportunities presented and squandered by the PT.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back