The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

OK then. Here are my real parts so far; Hales grenade, Graflex clamp, Exactra bubbles, transistors, AS handwheel.
I have Roman's replica booster and emitter standing in until the real-deal turns up and the excellent booster-bearing replica by teecrooz.

View attachment 725014

Nice! Is that handwheel metal or chromed plastic? Love the weathering on it. Looking for a beat up one now...

Chaïm has convinced me to come out of the closet, as it were. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is rather terrible pair of pictures showing what I have embezzled the kids college fund on thus far. All vintage.

IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2673.JPG

As you can see, there is a part missing. And I'm not talking about a transistor, either.

I imagine that the clear bubble strip would probably be better saved for the Vader I will never build. That is one reason it is still in the calculator that someone who shall not be named confiscated the scews from before I got it. But, that is mere trifle. :)

That looks absolutely fabulous Fusion, welcome aboard and thanks
for posting here ... so let's get him some transistors guys ... anyone
have a close enough pair in a spare parts box?
So it seems like the ANM2 booster is the hardest part to track down
lately . . . anyhow now that it has been well established that anyone
working or collecting vintage parts for an OB1 ANH always can and
may join here ... I'm going to up the ante ... just a little to encourage
even more OB1 ANH vintage parts lightsabers to be posted, coming
out of the woodworks, here's a small hint to what I'd like you to do :

OB1%20Cloack.jpg_zpsq4oquove.PNG

'Oh, Chaïm, do tell us ... what might that be?' Take a good guess guys :)

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
swnh_4235.JPG

OB1 : - You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. -

Chaïm

Last edited:
Chaïm has convinced me to come out of the closet, as it were. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is rather terrible pair of pictures showing what I have embezzled the kids college fund on thus far. All vintage.

View attachment 725142 View attachment 725143

As you can see, there is a part missing. And I'm not talking about a transistor, either.

I imagine that the clear bubble strip would probably be better saved for the Vader I will never build. That is one reason it is still in the calculator that someone who shall not be named confiscated the scews from before I got it. But, that is mere trifle. :)

In case you didn't know, your grenade and balance pipe were both in my collection and marvs at some point. Grenade went from me to marv to mugatu to you. Balance pipe went from marv, to me, to Roman for conversion, to neorutty to veektor to you! Your saber parts are well traveled and well placed finally in your hands,

In case you didn't know, your grenade and balance pipe were both in my collection and marvs at some point. Grenade went from me to marv to mugatu to you. Balance pipe went from marv, to me, to Roman for conversion, to neorutty to veektor to you! Your saber parts are well traveled and well placed finally in your hands,

Slightly wrong ;) Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to veektohr, to now who knows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly wrong ;) Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to @veektohr, to now who knows :)

I still need to do a family tree of my parts before I forget where they came from. I have pics of every version/trade, but don't wanna forget lineage.

Slightly wrong ;) Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to @Veektor, to now who knows :)

Okay, slowly figuring out how to work these forums...

Yes, the BP came to me through edraven. Credit where credit is due for getting me started starting on this crazy quest. Thought I had lucked out with my first and only real junkyard score. I had to go for it now! That part from a properly moded surplus warbird jet engine HAD to be the long pole in the tent, right? How hard could it be at this point? LoL! :)

Seriously, though, I wouldn't give it up for the world.

And I would still love to trace the deep history of these parts. What were they doing all those years between manufacture and finding their way to us. On what aircraft, in what unit stores, on what battlefields (or training grounds) did they serve. When were they surplused? And from whence were they rediscovered by the prop making community? Because that is part of the magic, I think. These vintage saber reconstructions each have unique, rich, and complex histories based on the REAL parts from which they are built.

Anyway, I'm doing my small part by having the tan/yellow paint on the frag body of this one analyzed to see just what that stuff is. I'm actually hoping it's from sometime well after 1916 or so. Because it will be easier if I convince myself I'm not messing with an original period finish. Lest, I'm forced to construct some justification for the existence of a tan version of the ObiWan saber. :)

Slightly wrong ;) Don't forget that @NeoRutty never actually saw that particular BP; we swapped corrected males while they were being corrected at Roman's shop because he wanted a weathered one. So it went from Roman, to me, and the finally to @Fusion. *My* old male BP went from Roman's shop to Neorutty, to @veektohr, to now who knows :)

That's right! I had forgotten about the swap.

Last edited:
I still need to do a family tree of my parts before I forget where they came from. I have pics of every version/trade, but don't wanna forget lineage.

Mine is fairly straightforward:

Balance Pipe - RPF engine #2 (direct from dealer)
Grenade - direct from dealer
Clamp - iicarrus (JY) from complete Graflex 3-cell flashgun
Bubbles - @SaberFreak (JY)
Transistors - direct from dealer
Booster - @KhalDrogo (JY)
Booster Bearing - @teecrooz
Hand Wheel - @kurtyboy (JY)

Display Pieces:

Balance Pipe - trade with @mugatu via @Marv
Grenade - @teecrooz
Graflex 2-cell - eBay
Exactra - eBay
Transistors - direct from dealer
Booster with Flash Hider - direct from dealer
Hand Wheel 1 - JY
Hand Wheel 2 - trade with @teecrooz

So for all you guys thinking about finishing or starting your real parts Obi journey, as you can see it really is a matter of luck and a lot of collaboration with the fine folks on this forum. :D

@Edraven99 that corrected pipe is now with an old friend of mine (who I believe lurks here).

I love this family-tree stuff! My breakdown is:

1st grenade (now display), the one that got this whole thing started - @parfaitelumiere
2nd grenade (on saber) - direct from dealer
Clamp - direct from dealer (my friend - who now owns the corrected BP - found a guy who'd bought a bunch of stock when Graflex closed in Rochester)
Bubbles - eBay (from one of the many calcs I've bought over the years)
Transistors - eBays
Washers & BP adapter - Romans Empire
Hand Wheel (on saber) - @_Lee_ in the JY
Hand Wheel 2 (on display) - @kurtyboy in the JY
Booster - @mugatu
Booster Bearing (screwed into my Roman's Booster, for display) - direct from dealer
Balance Pipe - Engine #4, direct from dealer

Hey, your little family tree thing is nice guys, it's actually quite nice for someone willing to start the quest in fact.
I finally started myself last week, it didn't take long since my first post to inquire about the parts in this thread on April the 16th. So, I started by ordering the weathered replica kit from Romans and actually also bought an original handwheel from him too at the same time. I'm looking forward to receive that as it should arrive in the next few days.
I then grabed a nicelly naturaly weathered vintage graflex clamp on ebay and will buy the transistors soon too.
This is just a small start as those are all the easy parts and I don't even know if I'll go further than that but I'll already try to do a really nice looking replica with all that.
thanks guys (I guess) for motivating me on that path!
cheers

Family Tree:

BP- Teecrooz- 3rd engine find.
Grenade- Mugatu
Clamp-3cell
Exactra harvested Bubble Strip- EBay
Transistors- Peace frog
Booster-Teecrooz
AS Handwheel- Mugatu

Quite the village of friends to make my grail a reality and a big thanks to you guys and more who provided help and info along the way.

One of my favorites for part history would be the grenade.
Mugatu told me that it was dug up from the French soil not long ago, so it sat and aged for 100 years before I got ahold of it.

Last edited:
All Vintage Parts OB1 collected over 35 years by Sym-Cha :

Converted Male BP + AS Handwheel : Zombie Killer ... with thanks to morgan63
No.3MkI Grenade : teecrooz
ANM2 Booster + Bearing : Franz Bolo
Exactra 20* : ebay
Transistors NEC : Renze Dijkema @ fotoacademie
G R A F L E X Clamp : 3cell or ebay (?)
Magnetic 'Cone greeblie' : Dad's toolbox (soon to be revealed)
Brass screws : Dad's old stock found in the shed (plenty left-over)
UK Cotter Pins : ebay (plenty left-over)
G R A F L E X Case D-ring : ebay

Chaïm

parfaitelumiere ... well I know you did have an all real parts OB1 lightsaber long before me ... so welcome to post old pictures of it, as well as your current progress :)

Chaïm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back