Show your custom Lightsabers!

Daaaamn! Best use of a Kalart bulb mount ever! (Always thought those pieces looked promising.) The whole thing looks incredible. Can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup

This thread really makes me wanna build flash-based custom sabers but I just don't have the time or spare cash to put into it right now. :unsure
Same same... i feel like the flash sabers (and i hope no one takes this as an insult) already have so much going for them that they are less intimidating and somewhat easier to convert to a saber!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think anybody would take offense to that. I think the appeal of flash-based sabers is precisely that: the build logic of the OT lightsabers is already staring you in the face, and you just need to figure out a creative way to take it across the finish line. For me, it's fun looking at different flashes and vintage electronics, matching shapes, and playing with proportions to see if I can make something that stands up to the sabers I grew up loving. My rules are: vintage camera equipment, calculators, and electronics salvage (or reproductions thereof - god bless Roy and his kobolds). I guess I give myself wiggle-room on the grips, but I just love playing around with those limitations and seeing what I can eek out. Sometimes it works when you least expect it... sometimes it doesnt (RIP Zeiss-saber, I promise I'll revisit you one day).

Same same... i feel like the flash sabers (and i hope no one takes this as an insult) already have so much going for them that they are less intimidating and somewhat easier to convert to a saber!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What he said!

...and what my sig says...

You could get going cheaper than you realize-- yes some models go for insane amounts, but you can still get some for as low as $15.

Question-
I prefer the brushed metal look on a saber over a chromed look, is there any way i can get a chromed flashgun to look like brushed metal?

I figure i could twist it around on some sandpaper but i dont want to take off too much chrome and expose the brass.

Question-
I prefer the brushed metal look on a saber over a chromed look, is there any way i can get a chromed flashgun to look like brushed metal?

I figure i could twist it around on some sandpaper but i dont want to take off too much chrome and expose the brass.

Have you ever seen those green scotchbrite pads? That's what I use.

The brown ones are a little more coarse and might take off too much chrome, so try a green one first.

Question-

At work I have a media blasting cabinet loaded with glass bead. I've used it to take various aluminum and steel parts of my engine and give them that gorgeous matte look. Depending on how thick and durable the chrome over the brass is, glass bead might be too abrasive, in which case I'd recommend a softer medium, like walnut shell. A decent enough portable sand blaster can be picked up inexpensively from a place like Harbor Freight, as well as the media, and a portable composite can be rented from many places fairly inexpensively, and there are Instructables on how to make your own blasting cabinet. I'm planning on establishing such a setup for myself when disposable income allows. I simply cannot recommend it enough.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Have you ever seen those green scotchbrite pads? That's what I use.

The brown ones are a little more coarse and might take off too much chrome, so try a green one first.

Tried it last night with an old Heiland i had...works amazing!!

The heiland with a brushed finish looks unbelievably cool!

Made this for my graflex. Old wood box laying around

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    967.7 KB · Views: 129
What was your rub method? Around the radius? Vertically?

First i removed everything from the heiland (clamp, button box, shroud ) until it was just the tube, then wrapped the scothcbright pad around it with the rough green face of the pad on the tube, then placed a firm grip around it and did consistant twisting motion.

Kind of a personal question don't you think? ;)

That looks awesome. If I had to guess, that's supposed to be the Jedi code on the inside?

Thanks! yea its the jedi code i have access to a vinal machine and i hve the aurbesh font. i will update photos with graflex in it this weekend

Made this for my graflex. Old wood box laying around

if any one wants one i have a few more boxs left. i can do jedi or sith takes 2 weeks to make. going price is $125.00 just need to know the length of your saber hilt, the sith box could be silver or red vinal work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    967.7 KB · Views: 79
I know we can't post ebay links-- but there are some damn delusional people out there selling flashguns that think they are sitting on screen-prop gold and ask ridiculous prices. I've seen Canon Y's sell in the last couple weeks from $25 to $150. Insanity!

Tried it last night with an old Heiland i had...works amazing!!

The heiland with a brushed finish looks unbelievably cool!

It's a great way to deal with minor scratches. All of my King Sols and model K "Sol" flashes posted many pages back in this thread all got the scotchbrite treatment.

Don't forget that guy with half of a Canon X he's been trying to sell for like $400... for the past four months. :wacko

I know we can't post ebay links-- but there are some damn delusional people out there selling flashguns that think they are sitting on screen-prop gold and ask ridiculous prices. I've seen Canon Y's sell in the last couple weeks from $25 to $150. Insanity!

It's a great way to deal with minor scratches. All of my King Sols and model K "Sol" flashes posted many pages back in this thread all got the scotchbrite treatment.

I got a King Sol on the way, i noticed the dull metallic coat. Looks ill be using the same technique again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back