ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

Hey Marcus,
You can really see now from your pic that the inner tube on the top section is at the same angle as the fins!

This may change everything...

Last edited:

not conclusive but...starting to make more sense.

leftsidedetailangledtub.jpg

We had scaled the part based on the drawings and the size of the FH and it is very close to being the right size.

Maybe Lonepigeon has the sizes and can compare to the FH for scale.

When Carson lays it out in 3d it will reveal a lot.

I don't have a solid model built just yet, but I was able to scale the widths of the Merr Sonn blasters to the appropriate Mauser sizing and the Grill's angles, lengths and the fin size/spacing is very close between the Merr Sonn and the DL-44.

The fin size and spacing looks almost perfect at 1mm for the fins and 1.75mm spacing. But that's just what I can get from the references of course.

-Carson

when I made my aluminum model I think the fins were.050 and looked too big and my spacing too small.

What you have sounds about right.

Here's a look at the shape and the early model for the Grill pieces so far. It appears to line up very close to the Merr Sonn pieces and the DL-44's. I don't have the build up of the DL-44 grill just yet, but it's looking like the top Grill piece in question is most likely the same as the lower pieces.

QZA6ddfU.png

-Carson

Last edited:

I really don't think the fins are arrow shaped any longer. Just square cut.

Here's a look at the shape and the early model for the Grill pieces so far. It appears to line up very close to the Merr Sonn pieces and the DL-44's. I don't have the build up of the DL-44 grill just yet, but it's looking like the top Grill piece in question is most likely the same as the lower pieces.

-Carson

Something interesting I just noticed. The piece on the trooper comlink has a split in the side. Could it actually be made up of two halves?

I would really like to see that front view Greedo blaster picture at officialpix or any others of Leia's blaster to see if the piece is made of two halves or not.

The split only appears to be on one side. But hard to tell, may be on both sides.

Last edited:

Something interesting I just noticed. The piece on the trooper comlink has a split in the side. Could it actually be made up of two halves?

I would really like to see that front view Greedo blaster picture at officialpix or any others of Leia's blaster to see if the piece is made of two halves or not.

Would love to see that detail. Interesting that it looks to have just one split. Maybe a compression like piece. Maybe they were just castings and that is the mold flash?

I think the Arrow shape just looks exaggerated in the drawing. The actual part, if moulded should have a small degree of taper or Draft (to the fins) to allow ejection from the mold. 1-3 degrees is typical depending on the part.

What I was questioning is the very end, whether it is blunt , sharp and flat or had a rounded, soft edge. Very small.

Kurty's pic did show what looks to be a bevel on the "thicker" rings which could be from filling or may be the end of the part itself, like a lead for the hose.

I really don't think the fins are arrow shaped any longer. Just square cut.

I was thinking the same thing. But looking at it now that would mean the fins are either pointed or very thin, making the fins less than a millimeter. And the fins as they are now look a little odd when left blunt.
Maybe a very slight point?

kTl6aQ7v.png

Interesting observation on the Comlink too! :thumbsup
I don't know their methods of casting, but If the piece is hollow it may be hard to cast in a one piece mold, leaving one seam. So either two pieces or cast, there may possibly be two seams. Unless it isn't hollow, it's very hard to tell from the reference. The small end does look hollow though.

-Carson

Last edited:

If this pic is from the original SW part, then we can use it as the reference for the fin shape. (as posted earlier)

If you look close at the right side, it is not split exactly in half, you can see past the halfway point and see a bit of a parting line at the top and also see inside the tube at the small end. Note the wall thickness.

You can also see the fin shape and edge fairly well.

The fins probably have a small taper/Draft or arrow shape (1-3 degrees) just to allow it to ejected from injection molding and seem to have a slight broken or slightly soft rounded edge.

Like Carson said, the fins are very thin and the small amount of draft will not bee seen. All injection molded parts have this, even things we accept as square. Should be no big deal.

I think you can really see the spacing here as well

fins.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. But looking at it now that would mean the fins are either pointed or very thin, making the fins less than a millimeter. And the fins as they are now look a little odd when left blunt.
Maybe a very slight point?

grillblunt.png

Interesting observation on the Comlink too! :thumbsup
I don't know their methods of casting, but If the piece is hollow it may be hard to cast in a one piece mold, leaving one seam. So either two pieces or cast, there may possibly be two seams. Unless it isn't hollow, it's very hard to tell from the reference. The small end does look hollow though.

-Carson

They could have made a core for the piece and a glove type mold for the outside with just one split but I would guess the "hole" for the tube does not go all the way through if cast in one piece.

If these were pipe fittings then maybe for the comlinks and such they used all real parts , not castings and the only castings are on the stunt props?

The real pipe fittings were probably readily available, at least at that time.

Doesn't anyone here have a Time Machine we can borrow?

The pieces are hollow. There is a photo of Leia holding a Merr Sonn pointed straight at the camera and you can see the black inside them.

From 1080p HD:

When I say 'seam' I mean a split in the part, like it's two halves.
anhcomlink1.jpg

anhcomlink2.jpg

anhcomlink3.jpg

Last edited:

Fins just look too thick in this render. They really should be quite thin.
grillblunt.png

Great photos, thanks kurtyboy! Now I see the hovi mix on the aerator, I didn't know that was visible before. :thumbsup

-Carson

I considered rubber at one point too, the shifting in the fin angles definitely hints at it. Or maybe that could be from a rubber mold being shifted, I'm not sure. But it seems too show in most of the grills I've seen.

-Carson

The top fin looks either deformed rubber or melted here:
anhcomlink1.jpg

If the Hovi Mix is visible here in heavily compressed 1080p screenshots, it should be even clearer on the Bluray.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back