Solo: A Star Wars Story

SOLO is, to me, not more than what a Star Wars Comic book was before the ST, a welcome and fun addition to the universe that I did not take too seriously. And that is what I will take with me when I walk into the theater. And I am curious what I will take with me once I leave the theater.

Good idea. Something to read till it's over and I'm curious too, there's not much to steal. :lol

Last edited:
I found this amusing and it brought a slight (only a slight) smile to my face...
Paul Bettany was cast in Solo after sending Ron Howard a text:
"Have you ever spent long winter evenings wondering why you're not in the Star Wars franchise? I have." Howard's response: "LOL I'll get back to you.") A short time later, Bettany was cast to play the film's villain, Dryden Vos.
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/paul-b...ane-secrecy-on-the-solo-and-infinity-war-sets

Hmm. Just noticed the Rotten Tomato score isn't so lo.

Found this Rotten Tomato quote amusing:
"Critics Consensus: A flawed yet fun and fast-paced space adventure, Solo: A Star Wars Story should satisfy newcomers to the saga as well as longtime fans who check their expectations at the theater door".

I posted this elsewhere, and I'll post it here as well:
I don't really care about Star Wars anymore after watching TLJ, but the excuse of "you should leave your expectations at the door" or in other words... turn your brain off is a pretty weak cop-out to making a boring movie.

Star Wars should be new, unique, and imaginative. It's cinema royalty and it's sad to see it relegated to franchising that makes everything feel soulless and curated by committee.

The prequels are garbage but they still added so much creativity to the lore that the new films haven't done in any significant way. I still remember Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis, and Kashyyyk. I couldn't tell you a single plant name from TFA or TLJ.

"Critics Consensus: A flawed yet fun and fast-paced space adventure, Solo: A Star Wars Story should satisfy newcomers to the saga as well as longtime fans who check their expectations at the theater door".

I don't really care about Star Wars anymore after watching TLJ, but the excuse of "you should leave your expectations at the door" or in other words... turn your brain off is a pretty weak cop-out to making a boring movie.

Star Wars should be new, unique, and imaginative. It's cinema royalty and it's sad to see it relegated to franchising that makes everything feel soulless and curated by committee.

The prequels are garbage but they still added so much creativity to the lore that the new films haven't done in any significant way. I still remember Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis, and Kashyyyk. I couldn't tell you a single plant name from TFA or TLJ.

You are also not the same "you" you were 15 years ago. :) Also SW had the opportunity to be unique when it was 6 films spread over almost 30 years. It's a different consideration when you have 4 films in as many years.

Wow..Slate review takes some savage yet hilarious digs:

isn’t a stand-alone film so much as a corporate directive made flesh, a quarterly earnings report in a vest and black leather boots.

and

Solo isn’t the worst Star Wars movie—your record is safe, The Phantom Menace—just the one with the least compelling reason to exist

and

But Ehrenreich isn’t doing shtick, even if it’s not always clear what he’s doing instead.

Wow..Slate review takes some savage yet hilarious digs:

isn’t a stand-alone film so much as a corporate directive made flesh, a quarterly earnings report in a vest and black leather boots.

and

Solo isn’t the worst Star Wars movie—your record is safe, The Phantom Menace—just the one with the least compelling reason to exist

and

But Ehrenreich isn’t doing shtick, even if it’s not always clear what he’s doing instead.

But in general, Alden seems to have brought a good performance regardless of his height.

Bryancd, did Alden really bring a solid performance, or is this film so "meh" that he is the best part of it?

"In his universally acceptable dreaminess and broad likability, Alden Ehrenreich is a walking hedge, a human limitation of risk. It's the movie star as politician. And that's not what I go to movies for".

This quote really worries me...
Solo is not a bad film, just a relentlessly average one that has no reason to exist except as a money machine. It gets its protagonist from point A to point B efficiently enough, but it doesn’t tell us anything we need to know that we didn’t already glean from our first meeting with Han in a cantina 40 years ago. It doesn’t shake up the mythology or offer any real emotional investment, yet at the same time, it’s funny, fairly fast-moving, and at times enjoyable. But if this is the template for Star Wars movies going forward (and who knows what the nostalgia-bewitched J.J. Abrams has in store for Episode IX), we might be in for a mundane couple of decades of storytelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bryancd, did Alden really bring a solid performance, or is this film so "meh" that he is the best part of it?

"In his universally acceptable dreaminess and broad likability, Alden Ehrenreich is a walking hedge, a human limitation of risk. It's the movie star as politician. And that's not what I go to movies for".

This quote really worries me...
Solo is not a bad film, just a relentlessly average one that has no reason to exist except as a money machine. It gets its protagonist from point A to point B efficiently enough, but it doesn’t tell us anything we need to know that we didn’t already glean from our first meeting with Han in a cantina 40 years ago. It doesn’t shake up the mythology or offer any real emotional investment, yet at the same time, it’s funny, fairly fast-moving, and at times enjoyable. But if this is the template for Star Wars movies going forward (and who knows what the nostalgia-bewitched J.J. Abrams has in store for Episode IX), we might be in for a mundane couple of decades of storytelling.

To be fair, there is a lot of hyperbole in that quote, going so far as to bring in the other films and future films. That's entirely irresponsible for a review of this film. And remember this film was conceived and written prior to the sale of LucasFilm. Perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Third worse Star Wars movie of all time. Probably not what they were going for.

An opinion of a single person I don't even know I don't find very compelling.

Not defending the movie, but I must point out that expectation is NOT the same as critique. Expectations are what you want out of a film, critiquing is when you judge a film on what it is, not what it should be. As is stands, too many people these days judge films on their expectations, rather than what the film actually is. "The movie didn't support my ridiculous fan theory! The movie should have done this! The movie should have done that!" Too bad! The movie didn't do what you were expecting. Do people realize how freaking boring movies would be if every one of them was the same predictable slop? People used to think an unpredictable story was a good thing. People used to like surprises. Now "surprises" have become synonymous with "bad storytelling because it didn't go my way." Too damn bad! The writers decided to tell the story they wanted to tell. People are so damned entitled these days. Something's automatically bad if it didn't go their way. I'm sick of this spoiled brat attitude from the audiences. Shut up, enjoy the movie, and when you have legitimate gripes about say, plot holes (and I mean REAL plot holes, not "they broke my personal interpretation of how the Force works"), or dialogue, or pacing, or anything like that then we can talk. Not, "They ruined my interpretation of Luke Skywalker by making him a old man instead of the sprite 20-something he was 40 years ago!"

Sorry I'm unloading on you, Moo, but it just kinda sparked in me and I had to get that out.

But yes. Check your expectations at the door, and you MIGHT end up critiquing the film fairly.

The reel rejects calling it a really great youtube fan movie is damning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=b0oBELAybfA

I see your point Bryancd, but I still question Kathleen Kennedy's thought process.
She hired the two original directors knowing they value improvisation, irreverent humor, and unique offbeat characters. What the hell did you expect when you hired them for this film?!

All this being said, I'm still holding out hope for a great Obi-Won film.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reel rejects calling it a really great youtube fan movie is damning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=b0oBELAybfA

I see your point @Bryancd, but I still question Kathleen Kennedy's thought process.
She hired the two original directors knowing they value improvisation, irreverent humor, and unique offbeat characters. What the hell did you expect when you hired them for this film?!

All this being said, I'm still holding out hope for a great Obi-Won film.

Yeah, we will likely never know how that went down but rather then KK I would suggest that was mostly Kasdan not liking what he was seeing.

If this was, say, a Firefly origin movie or better yet a stand alone Sci-Fi film without Star Wars in the title with the exact same plot, characters, and action, would it be getting ripped to shreds?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back