Weathering (battle damage) props

hypevince

working on a captain america shield for a while, i decided i want to make it movie accurate and weather it like it has been shot.
i however have not a clue how to do this so if anybody knows, feel free to share the knowledge!
thank you :3

Firstly don't go over the top. Some of the weathering I've seen here and on other types of models is way too much!

I know this sounds crude and it depends on how tough you made your shield but you could just go and kick it around the garden for a while - seriously!

Before you paint it give some areas or all of it a good undercoat of silver/metal. Then you can rub off scratch or peel the finish off to reveal the metal beneath.

If it's plastic soldering irons of varying tip size can be good for sculpting damage, just don't breathe too much of the fumes in.

You can't beat fireworks! When I was much younger I took to literally blowing up the older model aircraft I had made, eventually I started making wreck montages because the scorch effects etc were very realistic (obviously!). Perhaps this is irresponsible to suggest???!!!

Study actual battle damage from photo's online.

Weathering powders you brush on are good for actual weathering because they are subtle and you layer them up so the effects are not usually too extreme. Not much good for bullet holes I think but pretty good for scorching.

Good luck, weathering is fun. If it doesn't work out paint over it, which is in effect - weathering!

no it's not excactly irresponsible, i'll try like a few firecrackers of my friend.
the shield is entirely made of metal so it won't blow a hole or anything.
solid as hell!
i'll try the fireworks and look up some real battle damaged items.
i also don't want to overdo it, cause that'll ruin it

Well just hinking about that a bit more, the only thing that comes off his shield is the paint right? So peel that off a scorch it a bit...

I have an aluminum shield and gave mine a light layer of general grime with watered down brown/black, airbrushed dark gray streaks for the lead/scorch marks, and used acetone to take off the paint inside the streaks to show the bare metal where it should be scraped away.

Here's what I did on one of my shields. A benefit of this technique is you apply it over the clearcoat and don't remove the paint with acetone to get the silver.

Getting the effect was really simple. To get the bullet hits I held a can of flat black spray paint 5-6 inches from the shield and quickly fired a shot. Make sure you use a paint can that has a vertical thin spray tip, not a round one. I then dry-brushed the silver scrap in the middle of the black. The rest is various weathering around the shield. I didn't want to actually scrape or scuff the shield (damaging the metal itself) in case I change my mind and want to undo the weathering.

I also weathered the back. Mostly dry-brushing around the metal to make it look worn.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0153.jpg
    DSC_0153.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0159.jpg
    DSC_0159.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 236
So you used silver to go on top of the other colors over the clear to get the silver look on the colors ? Lol
sorry, about to work on battle damage.

haha no not Danny Trejo. But he is a weightlifting artistic comic nerd.
11717263_10152800790075771_1281575318_n.jpg
And my Captain Cannuck shield he made for me(using an old satellite dish)
11693086_10152793998970771_334891489_n.jpg

Here's what I did on one of my shields. A benefit of this technique is you apply it over the clearcoat and don't remove the paint with acetone to get the silver.

Getting the effect was really simple. To get the bullet hits I held a can of flat black spray paint 5-6 inches from the shield and quickly fired a shot. Make sure you use a paint can that has a vertical thin spray tip, not a round one. I then dry-brushed the silver scrap in the middle of the black. The rest is various weathering around the shield. I didn't want to actually scrape or scuff the shield (damaging the metal itself) in case I change my mind and want to undo the weathering.

I also weathered the back. Mostly dry-brushing around the metal to make it look worn.

Hope this helps.
This is some of the best shield weathering I've seen and it's really close to the look I'm going for, definitely using this technique

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back