What's your most expensive prop purchase regret?

I was into replica swords for awhile, and the worst I got was Conan's Atlantean sword. It was so God awfully warped, the hand guard at the bottom of the blade didn't line up with the blade at all, and had a gap of at least a quarter inch. The other realllllly bad one was a LOTR Glamdring replica. The blade looked nice, but the handle broke off. The cheap threaded rod was poorly welded to the tang and when that let go, it fell apart. And of course, that threaded rod was cross threaded into the pommel, so I couldn't even repair it.

Not even the local pawn shop wanted them, and they even bought my Highlander knockoff.

Swore off buying replica swords after that.

I recently purchased a Smirnoff De Czar bottle, as used in Blade Runner, on eBay without reading the description because I was afraid someone would buy it out from under me. At 200 dollars it was expensive but it did come with it’s original box and tissue wrapping. It was only when it arrived I realised it was the 500ml version and not the full size 750ml one. Ended up selling it for under a hundred... Live and learn.

My worst regret was trying year and years ago to purchase two hero Icons Aliens Pulse Rifles. I prepaid over a couple grand with the promise rifles being displayed at the conventions would be mine. Yeah.
I am currently sweating Anovos and the Ghostbusters proton packs. I purchased three and had hoped to go busting with my kids while they were still in college. My Middle son is a senior at ONU, my daughter a Junior at Kent State. Already missed the chance for last year's Halloween. I am now doubting I will get a chance to go out trooping with them this year and after that, wonder just how long or "if" I will actually get the three I have on order. So Anovos is starting to feel a lot like Icons now.

My worst regret was trying year and years ago to purchase two hero Icons Aliens Pulse Rifles. I prepaid over a couple grand with the promise rifles being displayed at the conventions would be mine. Yeah.
I am currently sweating Anovos and the Ghostbusters proton packs. I purchased three and had hoped to go busting with my kids while they were still in college. My Middle son is a senior at ONU, my daughter a Junior at Kent State. Already missed the chance for last year's Halloween. I am now doubting I will get a chance to go out trooping with them this year and after that, wonder just how long or "if" I will actually get the three I have on order. So Anovos is starting to feel a lot like Icons now.

Ouch, I feel your pain man, the demise of Icons caught a lot of people out including as I understand it many of the workforce who tried to get some compensation by carrying off anything they could lay their hands on (no offence intended to anyone). I have not used Anovos so have no experience there but I hope they do arrive quickly.

Hey Funky I know you apologized for starting this thread way back but you have set up an online prop-a-holics' support group without even knowing it. There's nothing like knowing you're not alone in being only human!!;)

Oops I did it again.....just threw $300 with shipping and taxes down the toilet on another recent purchase of a prop kit that turned out to be about 70% of the size it should have been..........and this was from a supposedly trust worthy source. Their defence is and let's not forget this is THE Replica Prop Forum, I didn't say it would be accurate! I am seriously considering walking away from this hobby after 16 years of collecting after this!

Last edited:
my biggest prop regret.... I am the happy owner of a G.E.M. pulse rifle... well actually an envelope containing my money order receipt's for my payment.... :( still havn't been able to track the S.O.B. down.... :mad:

there is a song.... "that's the sound of the men.... workin on the chain... gang". they take your money, OOP'S!! but hey, we got a new product for pre-order... OOP'S, but hey, we got a new product for pre-order.... OOP'S!! but hey, we got a new product for pre-order.... :confused: for the life of me I cant SEE THE PATTERN....:whistle:

my biggest prop regret.... I am the happy owner of a G.E.M. pulse rifle... well actually an envelope containing my money order receipt's for my payment.... :( still havn't been able to track the S.O.B. down.... :mad:

Sounds like my Syd Mead concept blaster from Chronicle Collectibles. Pre-ordered in September ‘17 for delivery in March ‘18. Date pushed back to autumn ‘18, then first quarter ‘19 and now it’s slated for delivery in the third quarter ‘19.
Two years to mold a plastic gun. So far... still, I’m sure they are enjoying my money.

I commissioned a pair of forged bronze Batman Begins gauntlets. They took 18 months to make and cost me $1500, which at the time was an enormous amount of money I really should not have been spending on props. They looked pretty cool from a certain distance, and being forged by a master blacksmith was pretty neat and they were nice and heavy. Actually a bit too heavy. I could barely move my arms in them. And the hinged doors never stayed shut. And the first time I raised my arm, one of the welded fins fell off. And the subtle details of the forearm muscle curve that's present on the real ones was completely lacking on these.

Do you have pics? Sorry to hear that they were not welded properly.. this reminds me of new fans of Boba Fett that want REAL metal armor. Not practical but cool to look at.

Cheers.
I commissioned a pair of forged bronze Batman Begins gauntlets. They took 18 months to make and cost me $1500, which at the time was an enormous amount of money I really should not have been spending on props. They looked pretty cool from a certain distance, and being forged by a master blacksmith was pretty neat and they were nice and heavy. Actually a bit too heavy. I could barely move my arms in them. And the hinged doors never stayed shut. And the first time I raised my arm, one of the welded fins fell off. And the subtle details of the forearm muscle curve that's present on the real ones was completely lacking on these.

I sold them awhile ago and this is the only picture I have left. You can also see the ribbing is incorrect. I wanted some gauntlets that felt badass, but in the end they were just so incredibly fragile and unwieldy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 10.13.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 10.13.38 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
Not the most expensive, but the one I regret most is my EFX Scout Trooper helmet. When it finally arrived, it was too small for my head, came "predamaged" with the paint flaking off new in the box. Took too many years to arrive. I also never received the "thanks for being patient, we'll give you a free Vader helmet for compensation...." despite attempts to remind EFX of their offer. I wanted to return it for my money back, but after the truly poor experience, I decided to keep it. At least I had something to show for it. An experience I'm sure many of you shared and are still sharing.
Cheers,
Kevin

spent lots of cash on props in the past, but my regret is buying what looked like a small raptor from jurassic park from a well known auction site.
to find 1 week later when delivery come and so called small raptor was in 7 big boxes lol put together this monster was about 17foot long an let me tell you it didn't go down at all well with the wife.
but it was all my fault for being up till 5am drinking JD&Coke and in control of a pc running a well known auction site LOL
my raptor now sits in my garage in bits hehehe
ps... still not learnt my lesson

I thankfully never had the money for anything more expensive than $500, but when I do, I manage to have really nice sellers making payment plans for me.

However I do have these "WTF I just bought" moments haha.

Like the most recently was Picasso from the Fifth Element, I actually love the prop to bits, but then I'm like, "k this is crazy" haha

I have regret buying a kind of highlander katana, I was sixteen or so, ordered it in a local armory shop.
Why the hell I chose a not movie related item, for full price, really poor quality, the handle broke a few weeks later.
But in the end it was a good thing, I replaced handle for a fully handmade boxwood one, was my first replica indeed.
I made a tanto handle, dragon style, from ivory.
Then I got interest in real japanese swords, so I started to make tsuba, and started to search real swords and blades, traded the handle, and tsuba to a french sword maker, became knifemaker for the worst, started to hate knives, years after started props, thinking one day I will want to make blades again.
And now is I am actually working on my teenage dream: a ivory highlander handle.

Well, it might be stretching the definition of 'prop', but I grew tired of the 1977 Trans Am 'Bandit' Special Edition I bought in the early 2000s after about three months. It was (naturally) kind of a 'dream car' but I went to the 77 directly after selling my 94 TA, and the 77 was just so boring to drive.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back