ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Might be one of those magic additions that comes at a good time. It's pretty big so you cant really hide it either

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Haha yeah there was really only that one good shot of the hook when she puts it on the belt. I remember seeing it and going oh, that's handy that she knew the exact size of the plans and that they would have a handle and she was ready to go with the perfect hook :p

- - - Updated - - -

I just couldn't figure out where it came from and since her tonfa was gone by that time I thought maybe. Theoretically, if the clip was opened it might act like the hook? Need to rewatch for that I think.

The German dagger clip is really small. I wish I had mine handy so I could snap a photo and show you guys, but it's not that much larger than a quarter.

Here is another view of the tonfa belt hanger. Still no information on how it is attached, but it could be the same webbing style as on the bandolier. It is obvious the attachment mechanism allows the hanger to swivel.
Felicity-Jones-Gareth-Edwards-Rogue-One.jpg

I think it's much more likely to be a cotton. My first vest was made of a nylon-like material because that's what the first teaser trailer made it look like, but after seeing the costume in person at SDCC I realized it was a cotton or cotton-like material. I remade the costume in cotton and compared my vest in person to the costume on display at the premiere and the fabric looked right.

Until we get official confirmation from Lucasfilm about the materials like we did for the Eadu costume though, I think the specific material could be left out of the standard. It's too bad that her main costume is on display at the El Capitan theater in LA but the materials list they provided shows info about the Eadu costume.

If you look at this picture, there seems to be a definite sheen to the fabric in question, It seems to be a very fine twill, perhaps a brushed finish, but I'm not prepared to say this is a straight cotton at this point until Lucasfilms says otherwise. I'm making my first version in nylon and it looks great. I think most cottons are going to be too dull and flat.

jyn003.jpg

I'm going to keep ordering samples until I find the perfect thing, but I think my nylon version still looks great. (Changing the shape of the pockets though...)

vest001.jpg

If you look at this picture, there seems to be a definite sheen to the fabric in question, It seems to be a very fine twill, perhaps a brushed finish, but I'm not prepared to say this is a straight cotton at this point until Lucasfilms says otherwise. I'm making my first version in nylon and it looks great. I think most cottons are going to be too dull and flat.

View attachment 691588

I'm going to keep ordering samples until I find the perfect thing, but I think my nylon version still looks great. (Changing the shape of the pockets though...)

View attachment 691592

It could be a sateen cotton, but I definitely think it's a natural fiber. And twill has a very distinctive weave, and I don't think this displays any qualities of a twill.

EDIT Once again in the following I am wrong. Later in this thread there is confirmation the front fabric is nylon twill and the back is cotton,

I have always assumed the base fabric of Jyn’s vest was a cotton twill. I based this decision on one of the earliest high resolution photos from the 2016 German Toy Show Spielwarenmesse. At a high zoom, on a hi-def monitor, you can see the distinctive diagonal lines of a twill weave on the surface of the pocket. Also at the top of the pocket where the fabric folds back to form the pocket facing, you can see the ridges of the individual diagonals at that folded edge. However, I will admit that since the camera focus is on this surface, it is not possible to see the fabric which the pocket is attached to (the top-stitched fabric) with the same level of detail. (Perhaps that surface is coated as it appears smooth under that level of zoom.)

One reason I attributed the “shine” of the fabric was the fact it seemed to be heavily ironed. My evidence for that is the top-stitching which is under the pocket is very clearly imprinted onto the pocket face. This imprint would come from a heavy press, which can also impart shine to cotton fabric.
Here is the photo I analyzed.

Spielwarenmesse_046.jpg

Last edited:
If you view the picture at full size, you can see the very fine diagonal lines.

Sorry, I can see them now. Must have never been looking at it super blown up before. Definitely can see it on the pocket there. But not so much on the rest of the vest, but it seems unlikely to have been made from two different fabrics. Twill would still keep to the natural fiber flow of things, so it might be a likely option. But cotton sateen can have very distinctive lines in it as well, and might be traditionally be lighter than most twills. And it maintains that sheen.

Last edited:
Just saw the film again and watched Jyn's belt and gloves very closely. In every shot where you can see the back of her gloves, not once is that circle cut out. It's smooth-backed gloves throughout the entire film. Definitely the velcro strap is replaced with the longer, thinner one with straps, but absolutely no back-of-the-hand circle. Guess that was a promo only thing?

I have always assumed the base fabric of Jyn’s vest was a cotton twill. I based this decision on one of the earliest high resolution photos from the 2016 German Toy Show Spielwarenmesse. At a high zoom, on a hi-def monitor, you can see the distinctive diagonal lines of a twill weave on the surface of the pocket. Also at the top of the pocket where the fabric folds back to form the pocket facing, you can see the ridges of the individual diagonals at that folded edge. However, I will admit that since the camera focus is on this surface, it is not possible to see the fabric which the pocket is attached to (the top-stitched fabric) with the same level of detail. (Perhaps that surface is coated as it appears smooth under that level of zoom.)

One reason I attributed the “shine” of the fabric was the fact it seemed to be heavily ironed. My evidence for that is the top-stitching which is under the pocket is very clearly imprinted onto the pocket face. This imprint would come from a heavy press, which can also impart shine to cotton fabric.
Here is the photo I analyzed.

View attachment 691627

That might take some experimenting, I know my rayon I used for my shirt got a sheen where I pressed the seams. I got in a fine twill that turned out to be too thin for the jacket, I may press the crap out of it to see what happens. It's hard to tell if that's an all over surface shine or shiny fibers.

I would be curious to see the effect of applying a light coat of the waterproofing oil/wax used on cotton duster coats to a fabric sample to see if that gives the sheen and effect you are looking for ?
e2b2034df22e83c933a3a761f78f42f3.jpg
45cd5ef6c56485d81522abea930a1d45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@spectreseven, how do you "Like this post" and also express "Starting over now looking for two different kinds of fabric which match"? One opinion, the vest pockets may also be cotton as they have a definite twill weave which I have never seen in nylon (not to say it does not exist). I will try to look at the flap located on the left side to see if it appears like the pocket facing or like the vest front.

EDIT: Once again my mistake. You can indeed find nylon twill fabric in google search.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that ! I think all prop builders are somewhat OCD - I drive myself ( and my wife ) crazy! She is always saying "it doesn't have to be perfect "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I think the back of her vest isn't stitched in lines. I think it's actually a form of quilting/gathering.

It could be like the simple floss-tied quilting used by us lazy quilters- http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/00dac28e94eef42b34fcf63d605cc50c.jpg

Or it's the reverse of star-gathering or puff-gathering. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/ff19467105202ce5d65b5d66e551bec8.jpg

Either way, when you look back of her vest, you'll never see the stitching, just deep folds which is why I think it's one of these style of techniques and not just quilted down with thread.

If the Columbia Jacket is any indication, you're right, it looks like the floss-tied.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 11.44.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 11.46.10 AM.png

View attachment 691588

View attachment 691592

Vera, your vest looks great so far! Are you willing to share the information about how you are stitching the lines? Is it a machine stitch? How do you get that overlap effect?

@spectreseven, how do you "Like this post" and also express "Starting over now looking for two different kinds of fabric which match"? One opinion, the vest pockets may also be cotton as they have a definite twill weave which I have never seen in nylon (not to say it does not exist). I will try to look at the flap located on the left side to see if it appears like the pocket facing or like the vest front.

EDIT: Once again my mistake. You can indeed find nylon twill fabric in google search.

You can find it, but almost all are really heavy or not even close to the right color. I keep thinking that it's a ripstop nylon, because of these texture/bumps in between the lines of stitching, but it could be supplex.. which is a bit less shiny and more like cotton. I just haven't seemed for find quite the right combination of what I was looking for.

Mercerized cotton twills have a really nice sheen.

(Also, I have been following his twitter for months, how did I miss this yesterday? I feel like I've missed so much conversation I. The last three days. Damn you Holiday responsibilities!)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back